Coronavirus prep

Replies

• RetiredAndLovingIt
    RetiredAndLovingIt Posts: 1,394 Member
    Wow, Iowa changed their plans today. Phase. 1b will now be down to age 65! Not sure when or how we can sign up yet, but hopeful it will be early Feb.
  • missysippy930
    missysippy930 Posts: 2,577 Member
    ReenieHJ wrote: »
    They'll be offering the vaccine this next week to 75+ and my sister's in that group. Her possible reaction worries me a lot!! She has Fibromyalgia, IBS, had Iritis, has inflammatory issues such as arthritis, wasn't able to tolerate regular flu vaccines so hasn't taken them for many years. She seems to have so many things in her system that go against her, that I'm afraid it won't go well for her. :( But she said she'll take the first one and see how it goes. :(
    Any input with her situation anyone? I'm going to suggest she see her dr. first.
    Thanks so much for reading. :)

I think it’s a good idea to see her doctor first. ❤️

My husband is 68. A cancer survivor. He’s still working. Minnesota opened up vaccines for 65+ this week. He has his 3 month check up in early February. He’s going to ask his doc about it then. As it is throughout the country, there’s not enough vaccine, so chances are he wouldn’t be able to get it until after his dr appointment.
  • missysippy930
    missysippy930 Posts: 2,577 Member
    SModa61 wrote: »
    So Florida has finally caught on that people are coming to Florida for "Vaccine Vacations", even foreigners. As of yesterday, they have gotten smarter and are tightening up who qualify for the vaccines currently being distributed.

How are they keeping track of this? Don’t you have to show ID’s at least?
  • SModa61
    SModa61 Posts: 2,829 Member
    So Florida has finally caught on that people are coming to Florida for "Vaccine Vacations", even foreigners. As of yesterday, they have gotten smarter and are tightening up who qualify for the vaccines currently being distributed.

How are they keeping track of this? Don’t you have to show ID’s at least?

I believe that the prior requirement was solely proof of being over 65. As of yesterday, must prove full time or seasonal residency. There is a list of how to prove.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 31,721 Member
    edited January 2021
    AnnPT77 wrote: »
    Just an observation, of partial applicability to some previous posts.

As a generality, there's nothing about simply being a cancer survivor that, IMU, increases risks of the vaccine or disease, if there are no other complications. (I'm a long-term survivor of quite advanced cancer, and had quite aggressive treatment.)

However, if the cancer or its treatment caused (for example) long-term organ damage that's still in the picture, or had other long-term health consequences, perhaps that would be a thing that could cause differences in response, and talking with one's doctor would be a really good idea.

Also, if someone has recently been treated for cancer, it does take a period of time for the immune system to move from the immunosuppressed state that some treatments may cause (and where there may be special risks), so that's another "talk to doctor" scenario. Likewise if there's an ongoing medication regimen related to cancer treatment that might be a concern, that's a "talk to doctor" scenario, too, IMO. (Sometimes people don't think of these long-term meds as cancer treatment, which is why I mention that . . . but I haven't heard that the meds I'm most familiar with (antihormonals, basically) are a cause for concern. Can't hurt to ask, though.)

@AnnPT77 With my father, I never know what is going on as he is great for creating excuses for anything he does not want to do. To his credit, he was saying that there is some defect in his blood that was identified just prior to his last cancer and may be associated that cancer (I think it was his lymphoma and I remember the defect can be associated with multiple myeloma). He claims that that defect also is somehow associated with the modality of either COVID or the vaccine and he is concerned that that puts him at a different risk. I honestly did not follow it and was driving at the time or I would have written notes to investigate. My big question is could the johnson and johnson vs the two mRNA vaccines be safer in his case. As I mentioned, I may see if my sister has useful input. I certainly do not.

Posting mainly so it's clear I'm not ignoring your post.

Yes, that makes sense. I said what I did because there seemed to be an implication - or at least an opportunity for lurkers to infer - from some posts that having had cancer in and of itself created extra risk from the virus or the vaccine, independent of other factors. IMU, there's not currently a reason to believe that just having had cancer or cancer treatment, regardless of timing or type of cancer treatment, has any implications for Covid or its vaccines.

Just my amateur understanding, though . . . but from a topic I do pay pretty close attention to, because of possible personal implications.
  • SModa61
    SModa61 Posts: 2,829 Member
    Just an observation, of partial applicability to some previous posts.

As a generality, there's nothing about simply being a cancer survivor that, IMU, increases risks of the vaccine or disease, if there are no other complications. (I'm a long-term survivor of quite advanced cancer, and had quite aggressive treatment.)

However, if the cancer or its treatment caused (for example) long-term organ damage that's still in the picture, or had other long-term health consequences, perhaps that would be a thing that could cause differences in response, and talking with one's doctor would be a really good idea.

Also, if someone has recently been treated for cancer, it does take a period of time for the immune system to move from the immunosuppressed state that some treatments may cause (and where there may be special risks), so that's another "talk to doctor" scenario. Likewise if there's an ongoing medication regimen related to cancer treatment that might be a concern, that's a "talk to doctor" scenario, too, IMO. (Sometimes people don't think of these long-term meds as cancer treatment, which is why I mention that . . . but I haven't heard that the meds I'm most familiar with (antihormonals, basically) are a cause for concern. Can't hurt to ask, though.)

@AnnPT77 With my father, I never know what is going on as he is great for creating excuses for anything he does not want to do. To his credit, he was saying that there is some defect in his blood that was identified just prior to his last cancer and may be associated that cancer (I think it was his lymphoma and I remember the defect can be associated with multiple myeloma). He claims that that defect also is somehow associated with the modality of either COVID or the vaccine and he is concerned that that puts him at a different risk. I honestly did not follow it and was driving at the time or I would have written notes to investigate. My big question is could the johnson and johnson vs the two mRNA vaccines be safer in his case. As I mentioned, I may see if my sister has useful input. I certainly do not.

Posting mainly so it's clear I'm not ignoring your post.

Yes, that makes sense. I said what I did because there seemed to be an implication - or at least an opportunity for lurkers to infer - from some posts that having had cancer in and of itself created extra risk from the virus or the vaccine, independent of other factors. IMU, there's not currently a reason to believe that just having had cancer or cancer treatment, regardless of timing or type of cancer treatment, has any implications for Covid or its vaccines.

Just my amateur understanding, though . . . but from a topic I do pay pretty close attention to, because of possible personal implications.

@AnnPT77 I agree with you and I thought that was why they were specifically trying to vaccinate medically compromised individuals. BTW I did a search, and I recognized what my father referenced and that was IgG and IgA. That should at least help my call with my sister.