where is the best place for me on the boards out here?

Helloooooo!

I'm not new to dieting, new lifestyle, or change of ways, however you'd like to put it. I'm not a 'fad' dieter, but just a middle age woman (51) who needs to get healthy once and for all.

I don't like keto, WW or any of those programs. (no offence to anyone). What seems to work the best for me is the Macro program. I am a little OCD, and so sometimes it gets the best of me... in that like to be perfect and exact with every little thing I eat, and weigh etc.

Covid has really gotten the best of me. Since Covid, I quit going to the gym, and doing cardio and lifting weights (which I do love). I have weights at home (a really nice dial set) but I can't seem to get the motivation to use them! I also have a great elliptical at home, but can't get on it either.

I have bad knees, and must get some weight off before hitting any kind of cardio hard....

I have recently been diagnosed with FATTY LIVER and I really need to get my weight and life back in order. I know how to eat healthy, I know what I need to do. I'm just lacking the motivation to do it. I've also just started looking at some of the message boards out here for some ideas for healthy snacks, and meal ideas. Sometimes I get sick of eating what I make for myself. lol I need to learn to find will power to JUST SAY NO, and to get over the hump of not eating SO DANG much sugar and chocolate. I believe that a person can have a little of everthing, just in moderation. However, I need to just not eat crap right now, because my body will crave more of it. If I avoid it all together while starting out AGAIN, I get to a point where I don't crave it at all. It's getting there that's the hard part.

I used to go to the gym 4x a day, lift weights and do cardio, I even had a trainer make me a plan. I loved the plan. I did it faithfully until covid hit. Then I just let everything go to SH**. I need some motivation, to get back into the gym, now that their open again, and just be safe in order to not get sick with Covid.

I have well over 100 pounds to lose (although I've not weighed myself in 9 months, I honestly have no idea what I weigh, well I do have a pretty good idea, but am terrified to step on the scale. I get a little OCD about that too. I just know my clothes don't fit, and I'm back up into a 2x. I'm 51, and this health scare with my liver is enough to wake me up. I really DO want to be healthy and live a long healthy life. Doesn't matter what I weigh in the end, as long as I'm healthy.

So here I am. Anyone have any ideas for me, as to which board might be good? Thanks for reading. -Barb

Replies

• tinkerbellang83
    tinkerbellang83 Posts: 9,129 Member
    As you've quite a lot to lose and you're looking towards a sensible approach, I would highly recommend the Larger Losers Group, it's a very active group and full of supportive but not OTT folk.

https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/133315-larger-losers
  • MaltedTea
    MaltedTea Posts: 6,286 Member
    edited January 2021
    ^^ This! And, in essence, it may be nice to venture into ALL of the boards eventually. Most every MFPer is nice.

As you progress, the types of conversation and need for information will likely change over time.

I imagine that you can also use the friend feature to keep in touch with people you'd like to long-term (even if you're not active in the same public threads they are, for example).
  • springlering62
    springlering62 Posts: 7,408 Member
    I found most the boards to be very very helpful. There was also ways something I could pick up and often it was some really personal question or observation somebody had posed that I wanted to know myself and was too embarrassed to ask.

There’s a lot we don’t know about our own body or what/.why/how often/how much we put in it.

It’s as entertaining as it is fascinating.