Coronavirus prep

Replies

• AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 31,935 Member
    Theo166 wrote: »
    I would suggest checking if you are Vitamin D deficient first -and if so, supplementing.
    Not just for Covid reasons but general health

More striking was that vitamin D deficiency was found in 97% of severely ill patients who required ICU admission but in only 33% of asymptomatic cases, suggesting that low levels are a necessary component of severe COVID-19.

that may well be so - but doesnt mean had those same patients not been deficient in vitamin D, their Covid outcome would of been different.

It just as likely suggests people vulnerable to getting Covid due to age or co morbidities are also those likely to be deficient in Vitamin D - which strikes me as being expected news,not at all surprising - given people who are obese, very old, chronic illness are less likely to be doing outside activites and therefore getting enough Vitamin D from sunshine

Ie Correlation

Yup, it's just correlation with the background that Vit D is well connected to the immune system. Research is in progress to evaluate causation, but why wait when the cost and risk are nominal? Certainly a blood test to check your levels is ideal, but it's not a common test. In my life, I've only had one doctor check this level and discuss it with me.

FWIW, I asked for the test at a routine visit (long time back), and my doc ordered it. I admit, I scare my doctor a little, so he's maybe more responsive than some, but it can't hurt to ask at some routine visit. It may not be common (in the sense of "lots of people get one") but it's common (readily available at most labs).

It's possible to over-consume Vitamin D to one's detriment, and because it's a fat-soluble vitamin (not flushed out of the body quickly when unused, loosely), there can be cumulative-dose issues. Quite a few processed foods are fortified with D, so that's part of dosage.

That said, the reported tolerable range for D intake is fairly broad (though there are supplements on the market that would put one over the reported tolerable upper limit pretty easily). For the average person, I doubt a small-dose supplement would be likely to be harmful. (I'm not a professional saying that, though, just a semi-informed consumer). For sure, it's NOT the case that more is always better. It can be toxic.

More info:
    https://ods.od.nih.gov/factsheets/VitaminD-Consumer/
    https://ods.od.nih.gov/factsheets/VitaminD-HealthProfessional/
  • paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 8,967 Member
    I would suggest checking if you are Vitamin D deficient first -and if so, supplementing.

More striking was that vitamin D deficiency was found in 97% of severely ill patients who required ICU admission but in only 33% of asymptomatic cases, suggesting that low levels are a necessary component of severe COVID-19.

that may well be so - but doesnt mean had those same patients not been deficient in vitamin D, their Covid outcome would of been different.

It just as likely suggests people vulnerable to getting Covid due to age or co morbidities are also those likely to be deficient in Vitamin D - which strikes me as being expected news,not at all surprising - given people who are obese, very old, chronic illness are less likely to be doing outside activites and therefore getting enough Vitamin D from sunshine

Ie Correlation

Yup, it's just correlation with the background that Vit D is well connected to the immune system. Research is in progress to evaluate causation, but why wait when the cost and risk are nominal? Certainly a blood test to check your levels is ideal, but it's not a common test. In my life, I've only had one doctor check this level and discuss it with me.

cant speak for where you live - but Vitamin D blood testing as part of routine blood tests- glucose, cholesterol iron levels etc is fairly routine here, especially for people considered at risk - eg older people with osteoporosis risk.

However if you want to take a standard dose Vitamin D supplement, no harm in doing so - or of making a point of sitting in the sunshine for 20 minutes a day (presuming there is sunshine where you live)

Me personally_ I do not take supplements unless I have a prove deficiency or a specific requirement (like folic acid in pregnancy)

Given that my blood tests in the past have not shown such a deficiency and I get outside for 20 minutes at least per day and I do not have osteoporosis - No, not starting taking Vitamin D now.

• RetiredAndLovingIt
    RetiredAndLovingIt Posts: 1,394 Member
    The pharmacy in our grocery has been giving COVID shots to healthcare workers. Dh stopped in to pick up a prescription & said it was crazy busy, so left instead & picked it up the next am.
  • Psychgrrl
    Psychgrrl Posts: 3,177 Member

Ie Correlation

Lucky! I have a history of deficiency and get tested regularly. I have t during the pandemic, but my level of supplementation has worked well for me and my levels have been stable. I take an additional 10,000 units a day and that puts me in the middle of the normal range.