I can't keep motivated

Options
Hi everybody,

So I struggle with binge eating. Main 2 factors are stress and boredom. What's the best way to stay motivated? I can't seem to string together more than a week of solid eating habits without reverting to a big binge meal. I tried intermittent fasting but I don't think it's working for me, when I do eat I just don't get full. I have 3 kids at home and I really need to lose 100lbs, I'm currently 330 lbs. Please any suggestions are welcome.

Replies

• kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    edited January 2021
    Options
    I am not an expert so please keep that in mind. But I would think if you have a tendency to binge, avoiding as much restriction as possible might be a good strategy. The more willpower you use on restrictions, the more likely you'll break and binge.

Perhaps try to just start out aiming for a small deficit, like 1 lb per week. Don't overly restrict your food choices and make sure to plan in treat foods that you enjoy. Meanwhile, brainstorm other things you can do to deal with stress and boredom - stock up on flavored teas, face masks, puzzles, books, creative projects, whatever works. Try getting up an walking around your home if you get snack-ey, try a meditation app on your phone, stuff like that.

Then once you stick to that for awhile, you can try increasing your deficit so you can see faster progress.

Hopefully you will get advice from others who have dealt with the same problem. Hang in there :flowerforyou:
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    Baby steps. Are you trying to change too many things all at once? This is stressful and can be overwhelming.

Losing weight is just the first step. After weight loss comes life-long maintenance. Motivation is going to be up and down. It's not about xxx number of perfect days. 2 steps forward and one back is still progress.

Intermittent fasting is just one method that helps some people reduce calories pretty consistently. But it may not be a method for you.

Staying full on fewer calories takes patience and practice. Patience in that you should not try to drop the weight too fast. A slower rate of loss gives your more calories. Practice in that you need to find what is filling for you. Protein, fat, and fiber are filling components. But, what keeps you full, may not work for someone else.

You might start by tweaking one meal at a time. Example - my typical breakfast was cold cereal & milk. When I started logging I found out the portions were puny. This just wasn't filling enough. I wanted more bang for my calorie buck, so to speak. After trial and error, I found that a Greek yogurt "parfait" would give me a decent amount of protein and fiber (with Fiber One sprinkles). I love this with semi-frozen blueberries.

Read the stickies - here are a couple good ones

https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/1235566/so-youre-new-here/p1

https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/1080242/a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants/p1
  • BrendonP13
    BrendonP13 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Yeah I'm cutrently doing therapy, it's helping me understand WHY I make the choices I do I'm just having a hard time stopping them still. Thsbdky for the suggestions there are definitely some good ones!
  • yirara
    yirara Posts: 9,389 Member
    Options
    BrendonP13 wrote: »
    Hi everybody,

So I struggle with binge eating. Main 2 factors are stress and boredom. What's the best way to stay motivated? I can't seem to string together more than a week of solid eating habits without reverting to a big binge meal. I tried intermittent fasting but I don't think it's working for me, when I do eat I just don't get full. I have 3 kids at home and I really need to lose 100lbs, I'm currently 330 lbs. Please any suggestions are welcome.

Are you eating enough? Are you only heating so-called healthy things or are you also indulging and eating things you enjoy? Both can be the reason for giving up.

Also, why are you bored? Find things that interest you.
  • callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    Options
    anytime you make things too restrictive, it is hard to keep to it. that is the reason most 'diets' fail.

there is no good food or bad food. Some food is more NUTRITIOUS than others, but that alone does not make something good or bad.

I lost 130 pounds eating what I wanted as long as it fits in my calories. that includes meals out and cookies. I'm still actively losing and doing it the same way.

Keeping 'binge' foods out of the house helps. I buy junk food that hubby and son like, but I can leave alone. chips and ice cream hold little appeal to me. I have sweets nearly every day. But its 3 oreos, or 6 if I have room. not half a package with a giant glass of milk.
  • finbar8803
    finbar8803 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I've went low carb, definitely lost the cravings, never really feel hungry, First time I've felt like this losing weight, so for me this works!
  • AmberlyMarlene
    AmberlyMarlene Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    No one is always motivated. That's where self discipline is a necessity. Something I'm still learning lol