What are some of your unpopular opinions about food?

Replies

• frankwbrown
    frankwbrown Posts: 12,041 Member
    edited January 2021
    Decades ago, I attended a seminar at work on "Eating Right". At the time, Snapple was fairly new, and I had switched to it from cokes and other sodas. The presenter at one point took a Snapple, a teaspoon and a jar of sugar and began scooping sugar into a bowl, one teaspoon at a time, asking us to raise our hand when we thought she had added as much sugar as was in the bottle of Snapple. As I recall, it was around 10-12 teaspoons! Unfortunately, I still drank Snapple after that... but I no longer saw it as that much healthier of an alternative. :(
    (I haven't had a Snapple in probably a decade)
  • PAPYRUS3
    PAPYRUS3 Posts: 13,259 Member
    edited January 2021
    I can't understand the rational in not looking at food labels when purchasing...(I guess that's unpopular?) However I do think the majority of the population have WAY to much faith in food companies keeping themselves nutritionally healthy.
  • Noreenmarie1234
    Noreenmarie1234 Posts: 7,493 Member
    PAPYRUS3 wrote: »
    I can't understand the rational in not looking at food labels when purchasing...(I guess that's unpopular?) However I do think the majority of the population have WAY to much faith in food companies keeping themselves nutritionally healthy.

I think it's more that most people don't know what to even look for. My aunt, for example, will say oh wow this juice is only 80 calories and 0 fat!! I can drink it all, it's so great and low calorie (when the bottle is a few servings). She does the same with ice cream. She doesn't understand the concept of serving size no matter how many times I explain it to her. Or people see 250 for granola and that doesn't phase them, they think that is low amount of calories. Others simply just don't know how many calories/sugar/etc they should be having in a day.
  • frankwbrown
    I think the reality is, most people don't really look at the nutritional info. At least, I know I didn't in decades past. When I first started looking at labels to track my grams of fat, protein and carbs, I was shocked to find that one of my favorite foods (Marie Callendar's Chicken Pot Pie) had 46 grams of fat, which was more than I was supposed to consume all day! Some people are a little more aware these days, but still, a lot of people just eat what they want -- hence the large percentage of the population that are suffering from obesity.
  • PAPYRUS3
    ^I get this...I can't say strawberries/chocolate are my favorite - but I've enjoyed the ones I've had I guess... I, however, absolutely love chocolate w/ dried fruits/nuts/nut-seed butters.
  • frankwbrown
    ^ I'm no fan of chocolate and fruit either, except Terry's Chocolate Orange. It works for me because there's no fruit liqueur/syrup, like a chocolate-covered cherry. Instead, the orange flavor is infused into the chocolate. There's a similar Chocolate Raspberry that's also good.
  • corinasue1143
    corinasue1143 Posts: 7,467 Member
    I don’t like chili and chocolate together, not in a chocolate bar, not in mole, no chili in my hot chocolate. Just no!

Love chili! Love chocolate!
  • PAPYRUS3
    ^ I'm no fan of chocolate and fruit either, except Terry's Chocolate Orange. It works for me because there's no fruit liqueur/syrup, like a chocolate-covered cherry. Instead, the orange flavor is infused into the chocolate. There's a similar Chocolate Raspberry that's also good.

oh yes...I forgot about cherries/raspberries and chocolate - pretty yummy stuff! (I think I'm not the 'strawberry/chocolate' fan is because strawberries aren't a favorite fruit of mine)
  • raymax4
    raymax4 Posts: 6,070 Member
    I think the reality is, most people don't really look at the nutritional info. At least, I know I didn't in decades past. When I first started looking at labels to track my grams of fat, protein and carbs, I was shocked to find that one of my favorite foods (Marie Callendar's Chicken Pot Pie) had 46 grams of fat, which was more than I was supposed to consume all day! Some people are a little more aware these days, but still, a lot of people just eat what they want -- hence the large percentage of the population that are suffering from obesity.

I had that same experience with their pot pies. I use to love them
  • Noreenmarie1234
    edited January 2021
    y1tfq1sdh2gz.png
    d4hch6q7i7tn.png
    hqlmmkxbdzct.png
    LOL

Also these... I used to think they were sooo healthy because “‘no added sugar” and just fruit juice but 290 calories for a tiny container.
    7l6m8hmltpkb.jpeg
  • pancakerunner
    pancakerunner Posts: 6,137 Member
    Ugh, do not even get me started on the tragedy that is consumer nutrition education. :s
  • Cody0103
    Cody0103 Posts: 14 Member
    Eating mushrooms is like eating slimey poop growths
  • PAPYRUS3
    I'll take all the mushrooms you don't want, but if you like you can have all the battered/deep fried fast food onion rings...I can't even stand the smell of them either - 🤢
  • x_stephisaur_x
    x_stephisaur_x Posts: 146 Member
    I love coriander (Cilantro for those of you in the US!)

Seriously, I'll put it on pretty much anything.
  • RunningM4n
    RunningM4n Posts: 8 Member
    Cucumbers (and anything remotely similar) are the devil!

An yes I know they are something like 95% water. But its horrible water!
  • Noreenmarie1234
    Daiya is one of the worst tasting vegan cheeses. There are so many way better tasting brands.

I always hear people raving about daiya and using it at restaurants when there are so many way better tasting ones.
  • Cheezhead1976
    Cheezhead1976 Posts: 492 Member
    Carrots are disgusting.