• csofled
    csofled Posts: 3,022 Member
    edited January 2021
    1207906t5ef8adzuh.gif
  • KetoneKaren
    KetoneKaren Posts: 6,411 Member
    Peach1948 wrote: »
    Meg
    Did you get a new cat when the one with cancer died. I think I misread what you wrote.

Carol in GA

lol pet sematary

• pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,435 Member
    Oooo
  • dlfk202000
    dlfk202000 Posts: 2,896 Member
    Meg
    Did you get a new cat when the one with cancer died. I think I misread what you wrote.

Carol in GA

I was thinking the same thing- read it twice and still didn't get it.
    Debbie
  • teklawa1
    teklawa1 Posts: 675 Member
    Teresa... Wow, that view from your back porch. Just gorgeous!
    Betsy in NW WA
  • exermom
    exermom Posts: 6,311 Member
    Did Self’s Bikini Body DVD. Work tomorrow so no formal exercise

M – your sink with drainboard reminds me of something my grandmother used to have!

Flea – both Jayson and Harley are adorable!

Tracey – (((HUG)))

Heather – gorgeous sunrise

KJ – how is Tim getting his CPR? I need to renew mine and I just found out that the place in the hospital that did it the last 2 times I needed it is not doing it right now, they are busy with COVID. I don’t know where to turn. Good luck on getting that license. Why am I wishing you luck? You’re a shoe-in.

I guess I would have to say that my favorite room is the kitchen. To me, it is warm and reminds me of things from the past

Got the frame of the jigsaw puzzle I’m making for a dear friend for Christmas. It’s of Naples, FL where she has a second home. Think I’ll work some on the macramé Christmas ornament

Meg – so sorry for your loss

Michele NC
  • kymarai
    kymarai Posts: 3,577 Member
    Michele NC- I have downloaded the app and will give it a try too.
    Meg- Good to see you!
    Tracey- Maybe you are right…maybe it is available monies. Sorry to hear about your cousin’s state of mind. Prayers.
    Beth and Flea- The puppies are so cute! I haven’t had a puppy since 1988. All our dogs have been rescues and are usually around a year old or so. With my work schedule, it means the puppy would be alone more than with us. This is the first time in our time together that my husband and I are dogless. ☹ I am not ready yet though. I am sure we will rescue 2 again when the time is right.
    Heather UK- WOW! What a beautiful sunrise! Ours was grey when I typed this message this morning. We got a brief glance of pink but didn’t last long. Has been grey and snowing off and on all day. Glad Burns night is saved for you!
    Lisa AR- I am a little envious of the trees. We need to plant more. We had to take down several diseased Ash and Pine trees. I feel they need to be replaced. Besides that, they are doing lots of building on our street and I want some more privacy in the front. Our front 3 acres only has a couple of trees close to the house. The rest is bare. It is on the To-do list. Chicken Quesadilla- I got a quesadilla maker for Christmas one year. Quick dinner when I have precooked chicken. Mix Chicken, bbq sauce, shredded cheddar cheese, and corn. YUMMY!
    Machka- I think it is wonderful that your husband rode that far. That is quite an accomplishment for both of you. As I have followed your journey since his accident, I have learned a few things that help with my husband. When he was 18, he wrapped his jeep around a tree. Needless to say this was the first trauma to his eyes. His head hit the tree fracturing his skull and damaging the optic nerve in what is now his “good” eye. Several things you have said help me better understand the brain trauma that I am sure is still part of our lives. So thank you!
    Kelly-I think that my favorite room in the house is my bedroom. Not too much furniture, beautiful view out back window for sunrises, comforting. I do agree with the kitchen though. The kitchen is where everyone hangs out. I have a great living room with comfortable seating, yet everyone hangs in the kitchen.
    Betsy- My oldest daughter meets with her friends the same way. They usually grab lunch at their place of choice, find a parking lot and circle the vans with back ends open or a park with chairs and blankets.
    Julie- I think your friend’s comment about reciprocating dinners is more true than I like to think. When we did have a cookout last summer at our house, everyone brought a dish to share and whatever meat they wanted to be grilled. We had bison burgers, turkey burgers, chicken breasts, and hot dogs. It was fun, but miss the days of saying , I am throwing burgers on the grill with chips and fruit, come join us! Hopefully this summer I can make that happen. I have a beautiful new table and chairs for our covered porch. I would love to share.
    Hi- Annie
    Teresa- Your view is also beautiful!

So I finally got my act together today. Made pancakes and eggs for breakfast. I added power greens and tomatoes to my eggs. Emptied dishwasher, filled dishwasher, changed sheets, started laundry (last load in washer as I type), put chicken in pot for chicken and dumplings. They were yummy! I had some pudding in cabinet that I bought last year and milk in fridge that needed used, so we had pudding for dessert. We have had snow off and on all day, but nothing really measurable. It was a true pajama day! (okay sweats as my pjs are what I was born with 😉) Kitchen is clean. I am caught up with y’all. Should tackle my paper box. Probably won’t take 20 minutes, but thinking there may be bills in it that need paid and checks that need deposited.
    4a8xlmiekhl3.jpg
    I did save one of the breast portions to make some chicken salad for lunch a couple of days.

Allie- Prayers for a restful night and successful surgery!

<3
    Kylia in Ohio preparing for a busy week!
  • GodMomKim
    GodMomKim Posts: 3,618 Member
    B)
  • ginnytez
    ginnytez Posts: 1,307 Member
    Just dropping in to say hi. Got a few things done around the house. Attended church for the first time and had congregation meeting afterwards. It was good to see the people. However, I think I will not attend in person with regularity until after I have had vaccines-that fits my comfort level more. Not comfortable with 20 or so people.

Cold here today so didn't go out for a walk. Painted another door and some frames. If I work for 30 minutes or so each night after work, I should have them done by end of next weekend. However, if it takes longer, it does. I'm the only one here to look at them.

Allie-I do hope you got settled in at some point today.

Friday evening had a dinner zoom call with two friends (we all live alone). It was really pretty nice. We are going to do that every Friday. With the women's group on Wednesday, that gives me two "social" gatherings. Then three days a week I go to gym. Work involves daily communication with others, so I am not completely isolated.

Heading in to put sheets on bed so I can get in the bed (hate it when I leave it until bedtime).

Take care all,

Ginny in Ohio
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,707 Member
    drkatiebug wrote: »
    Machka9 wrote: »
    I know this has been covered already, but if you follow a decluttering website, who do you follow?

Thanks!
    M in Oz

Dana K White - A Slob Comes Clean (my favorite)
    Dawn Madsen - The Minimal Mom

For Organizing
    Cassandra Aarssen - Clutterbug.me [she also has an HGTV show called Hot Mess House

For Inspiration (these are way too anal for some. The reason I like Dana, Dawn and Cas is that they make it real. I don't follow any of these except I Heart Planners, but I do have their sites bookmarked and I visit them occasionally.

I Heart Planners
    At Home with Nikki
    A Bowl Full of Lemons
    alejandra.tv - organize with alejandra

A whole bunch of these people are taking part in a blitz called clutter free January. If you find a recent YouTube video of one of them, they will have links to a whole bunch more. One week they focused on kitchen, another clothes, this week it is paper clutter and organization, and I think the last week is sentimental clutter.

I can pretty much tell immediately if a suggestion is going to work for me. For example, I love, love, love Alejandra's videos on paper organization. One or two of them are over the top but the others are spot on for me. On the other hand, if you are a macro organizer, you will hate her. Look at Dawn and/or Cas for inspiration. They have very, very simple paper organizing systems.

Another useful one is Taylor Flanery. One of her websites is Home Storage Solutions 101. she does a Declutter 365 mission which has some helpful stuff. Her site used to be my favorite. I'm not quite sure why I got bored with it.

There are also people who swear by FlyLady. I used to follow her as well but she got on my nerves pretty quick.

Thanks for that!

I can see what you mean about FlyLady.

I'm mainly looking for different ways to organise things. I have quite a few of my own ideas but sometimes it's helpful to see what others do.

M in Oz
  • Machka9
    e9q5vcwkuy1k.png

Resting now after the busy last few days.

M in Oz
  • dandl1986
    dandl1986 Posts: 94 Member
    Teresa: I am not sure I can either talking about myself in that sort of environment is really hard, so we shall see.

Machka: I like the February challenge. I am in.

So, weigh in day. I have lost 4.9 lbs so far this month. I am pretty happy with that. My sugar numbers are now consistently in the high 100s so down a lot which I am also happy about. I had set a goal for 6 lbs. It is obvious I am not going to make it, but since I lost a total of 10 lbs in all of 2020 I feel like i am making progress.

My husband made muffin tin quiche for breakfast this morning, delish. He is such a help as he really likes cooking and is very good at it. I am grateful for him. Went for a 3.5 mile walk in the snow today. It was super cold, but not as windy as yesterday, so it felt brisk and invigorating not cold.

hope everyone had great weekend!
    dee
  • Machka9
    Barbara AHMOD
    Forgot to answer this question! So, the answer to how I get clients is that I don't, Verblio does. Everything you write is submitted to the clients through their interface. You never have to talk to clients (yay!). Pay is on a sliding scale - the longer the article you're writing, the more you get paid. They pay through PayPal... I wrote for them years back and was able to step back in at Level 6, so have access to article requests in the 1,000 to 1,500-word range, which pay well if the customer buys them. When I bump up to Level 8 it will get even better. Requests for posts/articles range from plastic injection molding to personal injury lawyers needing stats research and verbiage, to driving revenue through improving human resources processes, to finding a small business grant. I only write on the ones that interest me, so my wide-ranging curiosity is getting satisfied on a regular basis.
    B)

Love y'all,
    Lisa in AR

Interesting! I might have to look this up. My brother mentioned something like this a while back although what he mentioned may have had more to do with editing jobs.

I've bookmarked Verblio!

You just never know. I have done a lot of writing through my uni experiences and I have done and do a lot of technical writing for work.

M in Oz
    Barbara AHMOD
    Forgot to answer this question! So, the answer to how I get clients is that I don't, Verblio does. Everything you write is submitted to the clients through their interface. You never have to talk to clients (yay!). Pay is on a sliding scale - the longer the article you're writing, the more you get paid. They pay through PayPal... I wrote for them years back and was able to step back in at Level 6, so have access to article requests in the 1,000 to 1,500-word range, which pay well if the customer buys them. When I bump up to Level 8 it will get even better. Requests for posts/articles range from plastic injection molding to personal injury lawyers needing stats research and verbiage, to driving revenue through improving human resources processes, to finding a small business grant. I only write on the ones that interest me, so my wide-ranging curiosity is getting satisfied on a regular basis.
    B)

Love y'all,
    Lisa in AR

Interesting! I might have to look this up. My brother mentioned something like this a while back although what he mentioned may have had more to do with editing jobs.

I've bookmarked Verblio!

You just never know. I have done a lot of writing through my uni experiences and I have done and do a lot of technical writing for work.

M in Oz

Machka - you should - there are a number of companies in Oz that use them, and they tell you that you have to use Australian spellings, etc. I actually enjoy it, and once you're up a bit in the levels, you can access even more interesting things to write on. There are a ton of high-tech pieces, too, which you would enjoy, most likely--not usually my bag unless I'm translating tech-speak to people-speak. The best part is, when you don't want to write, you don't write, and when you're in the mood, you do.

I think the other site I was thinking of is Upwork.

I probably won't get into it this year because I've got other goals this year, but I've noted these for later on.

M in Oz
  • Machka9
    edited January 2021
    skuehn48 wrote: »
    Sunny day here, Yay! I may try to do some pruning in a little bit. I Don't know who decided that dwarf willows were a good choice for planting in front of th barn but they are a mess. Every year I cut them back to the main stump and every year they grow all over the place and into the driveway. Wish I had a way to let the goats get to them. I would like to replace them with hydrangeas. The problem is getting rid of the roots.

Everyone take care Sue in WA

You may need to get someone in with larger equipment to dig them up!

For fun question We talked about topless a few months ago and there were many stories. Have you ever gone, or do you ever go commando? (no underpants when going out, wearing trousers or..a skirt or dress)? I guess you can't call it commando when in a nudist colony, right?

Always when cycling. :)

Aside from when cycling, I don't see the point.

Places I would like to visit:
    I have barely been out of the state of Georgia. I would love to travel along the Pacific Coast and the New England Coast. I would also like to see the Grand Canyon. Visiting historical mansions would float my boat.

Carol in GA

Is that since COVID you've barely been out of the state of Georgia ... or ever? If ever ... why not? When you can travel again ... just go! :)

Mrs_Hoffer wrote: »
    Machka what beautiful pictures of Tasmania! It looks like you had a wonderful holiday! You have such a beautiful smile! I also loved the graduation photo! Congrats!

Also, Machka, your distances (which include cycling, walking and a bit of rowing) reminded me that I made a commitment to walk 2500 miles in 2021 (as measured by my fitbit steps -- which amounts to almost 5 million steps!) A couple of years ago I made a goal of 1000 miles and blew past that goal by fall of that year. I've always been quite a "walker" and that's usually my exercise of choice. Lol. Anyways, I keep a spreadsheet of my daily/monthly steps and will periodically post that here for accountability! Kudos to YOU for your mileage!

Teresa in OH

I've been keeping a spreadsheet of my cycling since April 29, 1990 ... back then it was paper but as soon as Excel came around I transferred it over.

Walking 2500 miles in a year is a great goal! Over 200 miles a month!

M in Oz

• drkatiebug
    drkatiebug Posts: 1,938 Member
    Machka, if you’re good with micro-organizing, definitely check out At Home with Nikki. She has tours of her spaces and shows what she’s done. What I like about clutterbug is that she acknowledges that not all organizing systems work for all personalities.

Favorite room of the house: I do not do well with these questions. My answer is always “it depends.”

I love my laundry room because it is so much bigger and functional than the average laundry room. I am most grateful for it.

My kitchen is my favorite because it is the most organized space in my entire house - everything has a home and I know where it is, plus it is organized by zones into maximum efficiency.

But if I want to get comfy and cozy - then my bedroom is pretty sweet or maybe my living room with my recliner. If I want to be productive, my office is my favorite.

My sunroom is my favorite for visiting with friends, playing cards or working on a puzzle, or watching the birds, squirrels and deer in the backyard.

I’m the same way if you were to ask me my favorite color. My favorite color of clothing is black, but I’m not much of a fan of black food or black walls.

Do any of you watch TikTok? I got into it when a friend started making videos so that I could see her videos. I love the cleaning, organizing, and laundry ones. There is one creator (I think that’s what they are called) who is the total bomb when it comes to folding laundry. I started watching her over Christmas when she would wrap presents. My friend finally found her niche with talking about antique things like her old cell phones, tvs, things like that. If Imdisappear from here for a few days, I may be busy, but I may just have disappeared down the TikTok rabbit hole.
  • Machka9

Why double sinks? I've watched home shows and occasionally see people requesting that but I've wondered why. I thought it might be to be able to soak some laundry, but we've got a laundry sink for that.

M in Oz

I wish we had double bathroom sinks. His and hers would be NICE! My husband makes such a mess every single time he uses any sink!! Ugh. He's terrible about cleaning up after himself anyways, and the bathroom and kitchen sink areas seems to be the worst. When I complain about there being water everywhere after he is finished washing hands or brushing teeth, he will say "Oh, it's JUST water!" Like that makes it ok! My big belly just happens to always be up against the counter/sink area and will inevitably be WET! Yuk! :neutral:

Cleaning the sink is often part of my morning routine ... get up, stop in the toilet room, make my way into the bathroom, brush my teeth, clean the sink, etc.

About 3 years ago, the closest neighbor sold part of her property to her grandson who built a pig barn that houses 6,000 piglets year round. It's a HUGE facility and unfortunately since it's only about 1/4 mile away from my back door, we get the horrible pig smells if the wind shifts and blows this direction (which thankfully is only about 35% of the time!) We also get flies ALL.YEAR.LONG. Yes, even in January! And they find their way through the vent in the upstairs bathroom ceiling into my bathroom! I think I hate the flies more than I do the pig smell. Ugh. I keep that bathroom door closed at all times trying to minimize the flies to that one room. (Yes, I have an ugly disgusting fly strip in there, but it works!) Fall and Spring are the worst, I can go into the bathroom and it's normal to find 20-30 flies in the window. We were so upset when we found out what they were building there, and although we complained to our township trustees, there was simply nothing we could do about it. Now we just worry about being able to sell this house when we decide to move!

TGIF ladies!
    Teresa in OH

Would planting a double row of pine trees or something like that on the edge of your property, between you and the pig barn help at all?

• Machka9
    edited January 2021
    skuehn48 wrote: »
    Beautiful sunny day here but still cold. I heard this week that Providence clinic where I go is getting the vaccine and calling people to come in following the WA state guidelines, so I am just going to wait for them to call. I did a virtual visit with cardiologist yesterday to review echocardiogram and now they want me to go in for cardiac catheterization. That is not scheduled yet.

Matchka- What you need is an endless pool. It is fairly small but has a flume so that you basically swim in place. Speed can be adjusted or you can just turn it off if you want to do water exercise. They are often used for water therapy but I have a friend who has one in her home in SD and loves it.

Allie - Glad you got to see the pups. Hope the next surgery goes well.

Heather - I like living in the agriburbs like I do but I would love living near the sea.

Everyone take care Sue in WA

I've seen those pool and like them. If we ever buy a place, that might be what we get!

I hope you'll be OK. :)

auntiebk wrote: »
    Rounded out the day FaceTiming with Rita, her DH joined us toward the end. Fun people living in a fascinating place doing interesting work.

Nice! :)

• Machka9
    edited January 2021
    I have heard from my cousin today, my fears were confirmed. I think she is sorry she survived and upset that her husband got to her in time. She is still in hospital and I hope he stays there until she gets the help she needs. I don’t think it had anything to do with her marriage, it seems it’s all her health issues that are not easing off.

If her brain is affected (you mentioned a calcium build-up), that could easily be affecting her judgement.

kymarai wrote: »
    Machka- I think it is wonderful that your husband rode that far. That is quite an accomplishment for both of you. As I have followed your journey since his accident, I have learned a few things that help with my husband. When he was 18, he wrapped his jeep around a tree. Needless to say this was the first trauma to his eyes. His head hit the tree fracturing his skull and damaging the optic nerve in what is now his “good” eye. Several things you have said help me better understand the brain trauma that I am sure is still part of our lives. So thank you!

<3
    Kylia in Ohio preparing for a busy week!

If you look up what each of the parts of the brain is responsible for, there are patterns. For example, my husband damaged his left temporal lobe and a little bit of his frontal lobe and I can see the language and emotional results of that damage.

Rodger installed the new dishwasher today and I’ve ran the first load through. When it is done I will check the dishes. It was much quieter.

:)

I had my first physio appointment today. I have to return on Tuesday and Saturday next week as well. I was correct in my diagnosis and my right hip is frozen and that is causing all of my issues. She gave me one exercise to do once every 3 hours while I’m icing it. The rest of the time she told me to continue what I was doing, that we need to take it slowly. We are starting with 6 weeks of treatment twice a week, thankfully my benefits cover some of it.

I am off for a bath. I found some wonderful bath salts that have CBD and THC in them and they relieve me of pain for about two hours after I’ve gotten out of the tub.

Tracey in Edmonton

I need to do something about my right hip. I had one appointment and it is a little bit better, but I probably need to be doing exercises regularly.

M in Oz
  • Machka9
    KJLaMore wrote: »
    Good morning all! Happy Sunday! I am loving all of the pup pics, the scenery pics, and the "people we love" pics! These things make me want to get a puppy, do some traveling, and be with all of you more! <3

Gingerbread Geography- I love all of the tips on how to prepare my gingerbread man for travel to your areas! I was wondering if any of you would want to be a gingerbread "host"? Each of the kids will take a gingerbread man home with them, he will spend a week at their place doing the things that their family does; then he will be sent (mailed) to five other people so that he can experience different lifestyles, cultures, and regions. He will travel with a small journal/passport so that his experiences can be documented, and I am putting the finishing touches on a private (hosts only) facebook group page where "hosts" can upload pics, and create posts about his activities while he is with them. Is he helping with chores? Taking walks with you? Line dancing? Lifting weights? Going to work with you? Preparing "gourmet" meals? As businesses begin to open up, I am sure he would love to visit museums and other points of interest with you! As I have said before, this is a year long geography lesson, so there is no great "rush" to do things with him and send him home. Let me know if you are interested in hosting. You can message me your address and I can send him along and add you to the private facebook group (if that interests you).

Well, I better get busy! Love to you all! Sending prayers/healing vibes to you Allie. Fae as well, as you are probably healing from your recent dental experience. ttfn xoxoxo KJ (Kelly)

This is a lovely idea! :)

M in Oz

• barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,878 Member
    :) My walking friend walked with me this morning and was fine with no recurrence of her dizzy spell from the morning before. She won't walk tomorrow because she sees her doctor at 8 AM and will talk about the dizziness along with whatever else she had planned for the appointment.

:) Every part of our house gets enjoyed every day so there are no favorites just places that are best for a specific activity.

:) My family traveled when I was a child and I traveled a lot as a college student and adult. It has only been the last few years that I've lost interest in traveling. I can think of some places I'd like to see, but I don't want to have to deal with the travel to get there. If the Great Wall of China was in the next town, I'd love to see it, but otherwise, I can do without.

:) One of the best things I've done for myself is to reduce "decision fatigue". I have a small wardrobe and wear nearly the same thing every day based on the weather. I eat most of the same foods day after day. I exercise the same way every day. I walk for two to three hours every day and walk the same streets in the same neighborhood. I know that other people crave variety, but this works for me and has made my life very peaceful.

<3 Barbie in NW WA