Carbs!

Hey Peeps noticing my food dairy is showing I am having alot of carbs is this a bad thing? I have porridge for breakfast, pasta dishes and some potatoes?

Replies

• 7rainbow
    7rainbow Posts: 161 Member
    Hey there!
    I'm no health expert, but I'll add my two cents anyways.
    It's not the worst thing in the world, I'm a huge carb eater too. Just know that carbs typically aren't the most filling, protein is better for that. As well, sugary carbs tend to lead us to want even more sugary carbs (sugar has this evil ability). Processed carbs in particular tend to be a lot of calories for a little amount of food, so be careful. Otherwise honestly I think it is fine, just keep these things in mind. As long as you are still getting your daily nutrients (a decent amount of calcium, vitamin c, etc) you should be fine!
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    No it's not a bad thing, it's just a thing! :smiley:

Carbs are a huge food group that encompasses low nutrition / high calorie and highly nutritious / low calorie foods. You could take two people with high carb diets and one you could judge as an overall poor diet and the other an overall great diet. Huge parts of the world where people are healthy and slim have high carbs diets (Blue Zones).

I'm not seeing a problem with your choices. If you are happy your overall diet is healthy and enjoyable then carry on.

• callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    as long as they fit in your calorie goals, and you are feeling satiated.... go for it.

my carbs are routinely almost half my macros, which I always find odd since I don't think of myself of eating all that many of them.

6xqa2d48d56t.png
  • snowflake954
    snowflake954 Posts: 8,400 Member
    My carbs are usually high, but I live in Italy and we eat a lot of carbs here---pasta, pizza, breads, risotto, and fruits and vegetables. Be active and watch your portions. Best.
  • whoami67
    whoami67 Posts: 297 Member
    As long as you're satisfied with your diet and you're consuming the proper number of calories, why would it be a problem?

I love carbs. I love starches. I even overeat non-starchy vegetable carbs. And many types of carbs make me hungry and out of control so I limit the amount of pasta, rice and baked goods I eat. But they don't have that effect on everyone.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 31,974 Member
    As long as you're not eating so many carbs that you don't get enough protein or fats on reasonable calories, it's fine.

If you're persistently a good bit under the MFP defaults on protein or fats, it would be a good idea to chip away at improving that. Protein is needed to maintain muscle tissue (especially important during weight loss), and fats are needed for healthy cells, hormonal balance, smooth digestive throughput, and other reasons.

I'm not a carb hater, not at all. FWIW, while losing, I usually ate around 150g carbs most days, maybe more; and now in maintenance it can be more like 250g. That's around 40-50% carbs, for me. But I try to hit or exceed my protein and fat goals, then let carbs fall where they may to hit calorie goal. YMMV.

Even if you're persistently quite low on protein or fats now, it's not an instantaneous crisis you need to fix immediately. As long as you're generally healthy (no known, doctor-diagnosed deficiencies), it's fine to chip away at improvements.

A good process is to review your diary, notice foods that aren't helping you reach a nutrition goal you're working on, but that "cost" relatively many calories (and aren't as important to you for other nutrition, fullness, energy or just tastiness/happiness). Reduce or eliminate those foods, and replace the calories with foods you enjoy that are better contributors to your nutritional goals. Rinse and repeat, and you'll move toward improved nutrition in a manageable way.

Best wishes!
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    You've gotten some really good advice so far. I will add my two cents -- as long as I'm getting enough protein and fat, I don't limit carbohydrates at all.

The only issue I personally would have is that a day of oatmeal, pasta, and potatoes wouldn't fill me up unless I was also getting protein and fat in each of those meals. But that's just me -- it doesn't mean it won't necessarily work for you. If you find yourself feeling hungry, it's something to consider.
  • rosebarnalice
    rosebarnalice Posts: 3,488 Member
    I prefer veggies over starchy carbs because they fill me up more and I really don't crave things like rice, potatoes and pasta that much.

But I know plenty of people whose whole diet revolve around carefully portioned carbs- and they lose weight just fine