Coronavirus prep

Replies

• lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 9,950 Member
    Gisel2015 wrote: »
    Gisel2015 wrote: »
    Theo166 wrote: »
    I would suggest checking if you are Vitamin D deficient first -and if so, supplementing.
    Not just for Covid reasons but general health

More striking was that vitamin D deficiency was found in 97% of severely ill patients who required ICU admission but in only 33% of asymptomatic cases, suggesting that low levels are a necessary component of severe COVID-19.

that may well be so - but doesnt mean had those same patients not been deficient in vitamin D, their Covid outcome would of been different.

It just as likely suggests people vulnerable to getting Covid due to age or co morbidities are also those likely to be deficient in Vitamin D - which strikes me as being expected news,not at all surprising - given people who are obese, very old, chronic illness are less likely to be doing outside activites and therefore getting enough Vitamin D from sunshine

Ie Correlation

Yup, it's just correlation with the background that Vit D is well connected to the immune system. Research is in progress to evaluate causation, but why wait when the cost and risk are nominal? Certainly a blood test to check your levels is ideal, but it's not a common test. In my life, I've only had one doctor check this level and discuss it with me.

cant speak for where you live - but Vitamin D blood testing as part of routine blood tests- glucose, cholesterol iron levels etc is fairly routine here, especially for people considered at risk - eg older people with osteoporosis risk.

However if you want to take a standard dose Vitamin D supplement, no harm in doing so - or of making a point of sitting in the sunshine for 20 minutes a day (presuming there is sunshine where you live)

Me personally_ I do not take supplements unless I have a prove deficiency or a specific requirement (like folic acid in pregnancy)

Given that my blood tests in the past have not shown such a deficiency and I get outside for 20 minutes at least per day and I do not have osteoporosis - No, not starting taking Vitamin D now.

When I had a checkup with blood tests several years back I had a vitamin D deficiency despite spending over an hour a day outdoors as a regular runner, being in my mid 30's with a good diet, having light skin, and living in southern CA. I am religious about sunscreen use but that surprised me.

The bolded part is the problem. If you want to absorb vit D thru the sun, you need to expose your extremities for about 15 or 20 without sunscreen. Preferable early in the morning or late in the afternoon when the risk of sunburn is less.

Using sunscreen with an SPF of 8 cuts the amount of vitamin absorbed from the sun by 95 percent, and those with higher SPF rates reduce vitamin D absorption to virtually zero :'(

People don't absorb vitamin D from the sun. They synthesize vitamin D in a process that requires sunlight/ultraviolet radiation.

Agree. However if you wear a lot of sunscreen you will not absorb the sun or synthesize vitamin D. The end result will be the same no matter the language or process.

Yup.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 31,717 Member
    The US National Institutes of Health (government agency), where an epidemiologist I know works, is seeking people in the US who have had (and tested positive for) COVID-19 for a research study. They want to analyze DNA and health history of these people, and use the data to find biomarkers that influence the severity of symptoms.

There are some basic eligibility criteria, and those selected would need to provide blood or saliva samples, complete a health history questionnaire (phone or online), and share symptom/health info for a period of 30-60 days. Compensation up to $70 may be provided. More info here: https://service.cancer.gov/covidcode

• lokihen
    lokihen Posts: 382 Member
    AnnPT77 wrote: »
    The US National Institutes of Health (government agency), where an epidemiologist I know works, is seeking people in the US who have had (and tested positive for) COVID-19 for a research study. They want to analyze DNA and health history of these people, and use the data to find biomarkers that influence the severity of symptoms.

There are some basic eligibility criteria, and those selected would need to provide blood or saliva samples, complete a health history questionnaire (phone or online), and share symptom/health info for a period of 30-60 days. Compensation up to $70 may be provided. More info here: https://service.cancer.gov/covidcode

Why would this be flagged? We need scientific studies.
  • SModa61
    SModa61 Posts: 2,828 Member
    I think I am still clueless about how MFP works. I am looking at @annpt77 's post and then the following comments about it being flagged. How is that indicated? I don't see anything and since @lokihen was first to comment and not the OP, this has to be something that is/was visible.
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 9,950 Member
    SModa61 wrote: »
    I think I am still clueless about how MFP works. I am looking at @annpt77 's post and then the following comments about it being flagged. How is that indicated? I don't see anything and since @lokihen was first to comment and not the OP, this has to be something that is/was visible.

As Ann said, it looks to have been cleared. Previously, the number 2 appeared between the flag icon and the word flag under the post -- so it's visible the same way a "like" or a "hug" is, but only until a mod clears it (or removes the post).
  • SModa61
    SModa61 Posts: 2,828 Member
    edited January 2021
    SModa61 wrote: »

As Ann said, it looks to have been cleared. Previously, the number 2 appeared between the flag icon and the word flag under the post -- so it's visible the same way a "like" or a "hug" is, but only until a mod clears it (or removes the post).

Thank you Lynn and Ann, I guess I have never seen a flagged post.
  • GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,160 Member
    Back from vacation in CA. Overall, we feel like we stayed very safe (the same was as in AZ) the entire time. Wore masks, even when just walking outside or watching the ocean waves.

There are people disregarding safety in CA, just like AZ -- we saw tons of examples of it. While mask wearing was more prevalent outside, which was great to see, we saw one restaurant/bar jam packed with no social distance -- open for business, we saw a Pilates studio with all the windows down doing a class jam packed inside, and many that weren't social distancing without masks outside. Same story, different place.

Trust me, I understand why businesses aren't abiding by the lockdowns. I get it. But it's also easy to understand that despite government's best intentions, people are going to do what people are going to do. It's just a very difficult situation for everyone, especially healthcare workers.

Was nice to see my son and the ocean, but I'm glad to be back home in my home office, back to my routine.

https://deadline.com/2021/01/covid-california-lifts-stay-at-home-order-statewide-1234679784/

Hey the Governor now seeing things your way. Glad your trip went well.