It's the Cheat Days!

Having lost 35 pounds and feeling amazeballz I wanted to share something that I learned the hardway. When it comes to loosing weight what screws you up is not you eating 4 celery sticks instead of 3, or adding 4 table spoons of Sugar Free Pancake syrup instead of 2 over your egg whites, it's the CHEAT DAYS

now I am not saying don't eat foods that are delicious (I'm looking at you pizza, bagels, hot wings, etc.)

just make them fit your calorie goal for the day, so if you are going to have pizza for lunch eat a smaller breakfast than normal and a smaller dinner, (yes that pizza will screw up your macros for the day, but hey it's what you want right)

so yeah, one day of overeating sets you back, on the scale, in your head, all that, so it's all about being consistent, maybe eat 2,250 calories a day instead of just 2,000 so that you don't have those 3,000 calorie cheat days

find out what works for you but, don't beat yourself up fine tuning the small stuff, no one got fat from eating a whole apple instead of half, ha ha

Replies

• alvarezra
    alvarezra Posts: 1 Member
    Agreed 💯. I have cheat meals and my coach will usually specify macros to it. This keeps me from going bonkers. On full cheat days it’s macros for the day but those are rare. That arrangement totally has kept me from going overboard and I instinctively restrict those meals or days now. It’s almost automatic.
  • AmandaOmega
    AmandaOmega Posts: 70 Member
    Cheat days can also contribute to a binge mentality. You adhere to a really strict diet during the week, but then you can eat whatever you want on Sunday. I think that this could greatly damage your progress since a lot of people might go crazy on the cheat day and reverse any progress they've made.

Instead, fitting yummy/unhealthy food into your calorie allotment can help limit overeating bad foods while letting you feel like you can still have them.

For me, I'm also OK if eating bad food makes me go over my calorie limits every once in a while. It's going to happen. But logging it can help me stay on track and keep me from going too overboard.
  • Michellemeezie
    Michellemeezie Posts: 1 Member
    edited January 2021
    On "cheat" or "treat" days, I just make sure I log in extra physical activity so I get those burned calories added to my daily allotment. Helps the brain reconcile that it's ok... and gets me to do something active. Win-win.
  • joyanna2016
    joyanna2016 Posts: 323 Member

Cheat days (or treat days) don't have to "screw you up" either! I'll admit it IS a slippery slope when you overindulge, but ONE treat day isn't the problem either. Sure it may slow down your progress, but the real key is learning how to indulge and then resume your healthy eating pattern. For me, it actually does me good to be able to guilt-free really indulge in some special food opportunity that maybe doesn't come around that much. I thoroughly enjoy it. I know I can do that because I will eat in a deficit again tomorrow.
  • willboywonder
    willboywonder Posts: 132 Member
    Yes! I completely agree. It's okay to have those luscious foods. You just have to plan for them and work them into your eating plan. Rather than eat that whole package of Grandma Cookies, just eat a couple and save the rest for another day, and you don't need to get that Venti Caramel Latte. You can get a Short, the smallest of the hot beverages. Many people don't know there is a short, just like there is a Trenta, the largest Starbucks size which also isn't listed on the menu. While not on the menu, you can still order it.
  • SouthWestLondon
    SouthWestLondon Posts: 134 Member
    Agree with this. Whenever I've tried to lose weight before I've always had treat days, and it's always gone the same way...'Oh well, I messed up this morning - may as well write today off as a treat day...' until I was fully off the wagon.

This time, nothing is off the table. I eat up to 1750 calories a day Monday to Saturday. Within that, I have chocolate and takeaways when I want to - but I measure them, track them and fit them in. I find know that I'm going to have a delicious (if small portion) takeout on a Friday night helps keep me more measured on Friday afternoons.

What I do have is not a cheat day, but I have one day a week, usually Sunday where I will allow myself up to 2500 calories if I've come in under 1750 enough to do so. So if on Monday I consume 1500 calories, I'll allow myself consume the other 250 on Sunday. That gives me a day where I am allowing myself to go over a bit, maybe have a bit more of a special lunch or dinner, or indulge a bit more in sweets etc.

Weirdly, because of tracking and recording, even though I allow myself 2500 calories on a Sunday, the past three weeks I've been doing it, I end up well short of 2500 (usually around 2000).
  • oilphins
    oilphins Posts: 240 Member
    I guess everyone is different when it comes to cheat days. Some never have them and others do. I've been at the same weight for the last five years having a cheat day every Saturday. I eat and drink what I want on that day and I've never gained weight from it. Sticking to my routine the other six days of course. The only thing I do is make sure I run or workout that day to burn some extra calories. Do whatever works for you.
  • stringsNlinks
    stringsNlinks Posts: 293 Member
    Cheat days (or treat days) don't have to "screw you up" either! I'll admit it IS a slippery slope when you overindulge, but ONE treat day isn't the problem either. Sure it may slow down your progress, but the real key is learning how to indulge and then resume your healthy eating pattern. For me, it actually does me good to be able to guilt-free really indulge in some special food opportunity that maybe doesn't come around that much. I thoroughly enjoy it. I know I can do that because I will eat in a deficit again tomorrow.

I like Treat Day so much better! Same concept but kinder to self.... and I agree so much to enjoy thoroughly and get back at it.
  • brenn24179
    brenn24179 Posts: 2,144 Member
    I fit all foods in every day and if I go over one day, one day wont kill me. It will if I keep on eating over. I dont like having to log but have done it for 7 years so it is worth it. I have a budget with my money spending so this is the same, budgeting my calories.
  • B_Plus_Effort
    B_Plus_Effort Posts: 311 Member
    OP here, glad people are finding this relatable, so I just want to share something with you as motivation, here is my 7 day streak (all under my calorie goal, yes even the 2,009 day is fine, yet I had a bagel, a mushroom burger, etc.) not to mention I think all my food tastes good, I think I had a clean week before so now I am simply going for two weeks in a row, maybe the next time I'll indulge will be on Super Bowl Sunday, but this is what it is all about, it's controlled and planned for, and not impulsive and nothing is off the table if it fits your calorie goal, so I showed you mine, show me yours

8dxspyyu33vl.jpg
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!