Paxil and weight loss?

Options
2»

Replies

• axela84
    axela84 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Hi!
    I'm on paroxetine, too, but the one I take is called Seroxat. Have gained over 110 pounds since I started taking the pills (around 4 years) - of course, I wasn't as active as I'd been, and I ate a lot of junk. But even when I did try to loose a few - they wouldn't budge! At the moment I'm 136kg (that's about 299pounds) and want to loose weight but I'm absolutely terrified I won't be able to while still taking the meds. Withdrawing is out of the question at the moment.

SO---- any encouraging stories about dieting and weight loss while on paroxetine? :D
  • raygunpa
    raygunpa Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I lost almost 50lbs while on Paxil. Back then I was using WW religiously. Once I hit around 240lbs I basically stopped and now have been hovering around 250-260. My script was recently increased to 30mg due to some panics and have found comfort. I have noticed though that my cravings have increased but I think it may be due my body adjusting to the new dose. Anxiety and depression take a toll on the body. The mind is powerful and am sure it wrecks with metabolism and other systems. Good luck to you! :smile:
  • chi2indy
    chi2indy Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I've been on Paxil for a month & loss 10 lbs.
    It has caused me to lose my appetite so I have to
    Remember to eat & when I do I can't seem to eat the
    Fatty fried foods I like but I've found that I'm craving fruit
    & bisque type soup a lot more. I don't want bread, or meat so I've started
    Drinking muscle milk for the protein I'm not getting since it lactose free.
  • QueensGirl83
    QueensGirl83 Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    I gained A LOT of weight on paxil Now, i have always been heavy, but paxil definitely put me at my heaviest. I too weened off of it. Doctor recommended taking only half a pill and then after that i was taking the half pill every other day until i was completely off. Already i notice the difference. I will never go back on it again.
  • yvonnerus
    yvonnerus Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    If you are looking for a way to get off antidepressants with no head zapping, and electric shocks I have figured out the way to get off literally with NO symptoms. I struggled so many times to get off and couldn't because the withdrawal can be sooo horrible. I lucked out when I started getting chronic hives. I was put on 25mg of Hydroxyzine and while taking that could come completely off the Paxil. My suggestion would be to take the Hydroxyzine for about a good week and then start weaning down. Keep taking the Hydroxyzine until you are completely off, and then you can stop the Hydroxyzine. Hydroxyzine is a really strong antihistamine that somehow allows no withdrawal, honestly it's like a miracle :) So many people out there are struggling and this will help.
  • yvonnerus
    yvonnerus Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Get a prescription for Hydroxyzine 25mg, take it for a week, then start cutting down, while still taking hydroxyzine. I can guarantee pretty much no withdrawal with this method, it's like a miracle.
  • nanie112
    nanie112 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    My first time on paxil I lost 40lbs in two months they say a majority of people who take paxil gain weight or stay the same and that a small percentage lose drastic amounts of weight . Every ones body is different and reacts different you need to find out what works for you ask your dr about zoloft its about the same but is very unlikely to make you gain weight
  • ShrinkinMel
    ShrinkinMel Posts: 982 Member
    Options
    I was on Lexapro for quite some time. I lost weight at first because the first couple weeks I was nauseous and lost my appetite. I had already put on a little weight a while before when I switched to a beta blocker blood pressure pill.

I didn't lose while on it but I was not fully and consistently following my plan. So it has more to do with that than the medication. I weaned off fairly quickly as my dose was low. I had little withdrawal issues so that was good. My anxiety is still under control now. We still have no reason why I was having panic attacks. They seemed random and agoraphobic related from what my counselor said. I still can have some anxious moments but I seem to do fine stopping them with breathing and positive thought changes.

Oh and I had not noticed any head zapping but I was truly worried about it because I was weaning off fast for reason of missing an appointment. Well actually they rescheduled on me then again at the last minute and I never called to make a new one. When I did they said I've have to start all over. So I started breaking the pills up and drinking even more water to help flush. Green tea too. Those may help since I didn't have that symptom.
  • Elsie_Brownraisin
    Elsie_Brownraisin Posts: 786 Member
    Options
    Not all antidepressants cause weight gain. Flouxetine (prozac) and Venlafaxine (Efexor) caused weight loss for me.
  • elisa123gal
    elisa123gal Posts: 4,287 Member
    Options
    i know both of my sisters gained a lot of weight taking that.
  • tara_means_star
    tara_means_star Posts: 957 Member
    Options
    I have been on Paxil for 3 months and have lost 16 pounds. So yes.
  • XLpaws
    Options
    After dealing with death in the family, cancer , job loss and country relocation I found myself the victim of a ferocious panic attack which had me gasping for air. So, I ended up taking Paxil. 10 month later and 18 kg heavier, I am trying hard to ween off Paxil but so far, ten days into reducing my dose from 40mg to 30mg , to 20 mg and now to 10mg the brain zaps have started. I joined a gym 3 weeks ago and managed to put myself through 2 hours of fitness program , three times a week (1 hr belly dancing and 1 hr personal trainer) whilst each eye movement put me through waves of electrical currents flowing down my head and face.
    Not sure I can cope with the brain zaps any longer but I hate looking at myself in the mirror...i wish I could find a way to go back to a size 10 (Aus) before Paxil entered my life.
  • mtedeaux33
    mtedeaux33 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I’ve been on Paxil 10 mg for 1 week for hot flashes and I’ve lost 7 pounds. I need to lose 20 more. I can’t eat. I’m sure it will level out but I’m taking it.
  • Sand_TIger
    Sand_TIger Posts: 1,072 Member
    Options
    Athena4E wrote: »
    Nobody seemed to answer this question. So I will ask it again. HAS ANYONE LOST WEIGHT WHILE TAKING ANTIDEPRESSANTS OR SIMILAR PRESCRIPTION DRUGS?

Also the very first reply to this thread answered your question.
  • shabanabibi1986
    shabanabibi1986 Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    Has anyone been successful at losing weight while on paxil or a medication like it?

Ok, so I have tried a lot of medications for depression. I had post partum in 2010, 2014, and 2018. Never went off medications except during pregnancy, I took Buspar. The one that helped with my weight loss was Cymbalta. Next in line would be Prozac but I got an allergic reaction after a couple of months on it. Paxil, Celexa and Lexapro were big no no for me. Wellbutrin is supposed to be good but made me angry. Hope that helps.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!