Coronavirus prep

Replies

• The_Enginerd
    The_Enginerd Posts: 3,982 Member
    Gisel2015 wrote: »
    Theo166 wrote: »
    I would suggest checking if you are Vitamin D deficient first -and if so, supplementing.
    Not just for Covid reasons but general health

More striking was that vitamin D deficiency was found in 97% of severely ill patients who required ICU admission but in only 33% of asymptomatic cases, suggesting that low levels are a necessary component of severe COVID-19.

that may well be so - but doesnt mean had those same patients not been deficient in vitamin D, their Covid outcome would of been different.

It just as likely suggests people vulnerable to getting Covid due to age or co morbidities are also those likely to be deficient in Vitamin D - which strikes me as being expected news,not at all surprising - given people who are obese, very old, chronic illness are less likely to be doing outside activites and therefore getting enough Vitamin D from sunshine

Ie Correlation

Yup, it's just correlation with the background that Vit D is well connected to the immune system. Research is in progress to evaluate causation, but why wait when the cost and risk are nominal? Certainly a blood test to check your levels is ideal, but it's not a common test. In my life, I've only had one doctor check this level and discuss it with me.

cant speak for where you live - but Vitamin D blood testing as part of routine blood tests- glucose, cholesterol iron levels etc is fairly routine here, especially for people considered at risk - eg older people with osteoporosis risk.

However if you want to take a standard dose Vitamin D supplement, no harm in doing so - or of making a point of sitting in the sunshine for 20 minutes a day (presuming there is sunshine where you live)

Me personally_ I do not take supplements unless I have a prove deficiency or a specific requirement (like folic acid in pregnancy)

Given that my blood tests in the past have not shown such a deficiency and I get outside for 20 minutes at least per day and I do not have osteoporosis - No, not starting taking Vitamin D now.

When I had a checkup with blood tests several years back I had a vitamin D deficiency despite spending over an hour a day outdoors as a regular runner, being in my mid 30's with a good diet, having light skin, and living in southern CA. I am religious about sunscreen use but that surprised me.

The bolded part is the problem. If you want to absorb vit D thru the sun, you need to expose your extremities for about 15 or 20 without sunscreen. Preferable early in the morning or late in the afternoon when the risk of sunburn is less.

Using sunscreen with an SPF of 8 cuts the amount of vitamin absorbed from the sun by 95 percent, and those with higher SPF rates reduce vitamin D absorption to virtually zero :'(

Do you have a source for sunscreen/vitamin D impact? I expect a reduction in UV and subsequent vitamin D, but not a nearly complete elimination. I wear SPF 30 but still do get a bit of a tan.
  • GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,160 Member
    edited January 2021
    Back from vacation in CA. Overall, we feel like we stayed very safe (the same was as in AZ) the entire time. Wore masks, even when just walking outside or watching the ocean waves.

There are people disregarding safety in CA, just like AZ -- we saw tons of examples of it. While mask wearing was more prevalent outside, which was great to see, we saw one restaurant/bar jam packed with no social distance -- open for business, we saw a Pilates studio with all the windows down doing a class jam packed inside, and many that weren't social distancing without masks outside. Same story, different place.

Trust me, I understand why businesses aren't abiding by the lockdowns. I get it. But it's also easy to understand that despite government's best intentions, people are going to do what people are going to do. It's just a very difficult situation for everyone, especially healthcare workers.

Was nice to see my son and the ocean, but I'm glad to be back home in my home office, back to my routine.

https://deadline.com/2021/01/covid-california-lifts-stay-at-home-order-statewide-1234679784/

Hey the Governor now seeing things your way. Glad your trip went well.

I personally think that it is a mistake to lift the restrictions so soon. People don't know how to moderate themselves and police and we are still not out of the woods. He should have kept them for a couple of more weeks to give the chance for more people to be vaccinated. The demand for vaccination is greater than the supply, so I hope that in a couple of months we don't have to shut down all over again.

I understand the economic hurdles that the state is going thru, but sick or dead people don't contribute to the economy either. By the way, I do live in Southern California, so everything affects me as well.

I am in agreement with you but think he fears the voters in CA will stop paying his salary and rent. Most of us have little control over the big picture how Covid-19 impacts us long term financially and health wise.
  • MikePfirrman
    MikePfirrman Posts: 3,307 Member
    edited January 2021
    Back from vacation in CA. Overall, we feel like we stayed very safe (the same was as in AZ) the entire time. Wore masks, even when just walking outside or watching the ocean waves.

There are people disregarding safety in CA, just like AZ -- we saw tons of examples of it. While mask wearing was more prevalent outside, which was great to see, we saw one restaurant/bar jam packed with no social distance -- open for business, we saw a Pilates studio with all the windows down doing a class jam packed inside, and many that weren't social distancing without masks outside. Same story, different place.

Trust me, I understand why businesses aren't abiding by the lockdowns. I get it. But it's also easy to understand that despite government's best intentions, people are going to do what people are going to do. It's just a very difficult situation for everyone, especially healthcare workers.

Was nice to see my son and the ocean, but I'm glad to be back home in my home office, back to my routine.

https://deadline.com/2021/01/covid-california-lifts-stay-at-home-order-statewide-1234679784/

Yeah, he called us yesterday to tell us the news! I'm glad for him. Life has been tough under lockdown for many of them in CA. His work was directly impacted, though I understand why they did it. I just don't think it was that effective from what I saw going on, at least in La Jolla. But La Jolla is like the extreme example of people that feel entitled. The extremes there were stark. Either people really following the rules or completely disregarding them. Perhaps it's the beach that brings that out or the wealth of the people there. I'm not sure.

But what was clear is that the businesses that were violating the laws were the ones that were benefitting and the ones that actually listened to the Governor were getting crushed. I worked over 15 years in restaurants and bars, so I was talking to many of the business owners there (when we ordered take out -- which we were forced to -- the fridge in the AirBnb was broken). The ones that had shut down everything were hanging by a thread. Others were like, "let them shut me down, because I'm done with shutting down...". The latter were packed like nothing was going on. My son even told me that there's an Instagram account set up for businesses that were ignoring guidelines to tell people, essentially, that they are open for business.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 31,935 Member
    FWIW, just for consideration:

Report on NPR station a little while ago (didn't notice whether it was national or state level) says double masking is now a good idea, partly because of the new variants that are more highly contagious. The expert ** they were interviewing suggested a disposable filter-type mask next to the face because of better filtration, cloth mask over that to add layers but especially to keep fit to the face better (fewer, smaller gaps).

** I didn't catch the intro; could've been anything from a science journalist regurgitating info to a high-level epidemiologist/doctor. Don't know, sorry. 😐🤷‍♀️

Other comments: N95 should still be primarily reserved for health care workers & similar. KN95 are fairly available, but lots of substandard/fake ones on the market (said CDC website has a list of reliable brands). Interviewee said she wouldn't worry about double mask for (say) walking the dog, but a good idea for places like grocery stores
  • MikePfirrman
    MikePfirrman Posts: 3,307 Member
    edited January 2021
    This is worrisome

Everyday activities are more dangerous now that new Covid-19 variants are circulating, expert says

..."Health officials are "extremely" worried about the new Covid-19 variants that have been detected in the US and what they could mean over the coming months, one expert said Monday night."

"We've seen what happens in other countries that have actually had coronavirus under relatively good control, then these variants took over and they had explosive spread of the virus, and then overwhelmed hospitals,"

..."If there is something more contagious among us, if we thought that going to the grocery store before was relatively safe, there's actually a higher likelihood of contracting coronavirus through those every day activities," she said. "

https://www.cnn.com/2021/01/26/health/us-coronavirus-tuesday/index.html

My wife is completely freaked out about this new variant. Although it's highly contagious and likely even potentially more deadly (I've read mostly because the amount of viral load you can pick up in a shorter amount of time, something we've talked about on this thread), I'm more worried about it for others than my family.

I ran to the grocery store today. Looking around, I saw, by just a quick count, like 15 of the cheap blue disposable masks on folks. There's a Starbucks in Bashas (an AZ grocery store) -- there were 8 people inside there with no masks. Bashas has a deli section where you can eat -- five or so there with no masks. Also saw chin strap wearers throughout the store. These folks are at great risk of getting the new variants.

Already, they are warning folks with just the neck gaitors, etc., that they are at much greater risk. I don't go anywhere without my KN-95 mask that's been adjusted. Not that it is 100% fool proof, but I like my odds much better than being a chin strap wearer. Please cover your noses people!

Good advice by Ann on the KN-95 quality check.
  • Psychgrrl
    Psychgrrl Posts: 3,177 Member

I personally think that it is a mistake to lift the restrictions so soon. People don't know how to moderate themselves and police and we are still not out of the woods. He should have kept them for a couple of more weeks to give the chance for more people to be vaccinated. The demand for vaccination is greater than the supply, so I hope that in a couple of months we don't have to shut down all over again.

I understand the economic hurdles that the state is going thru, but sick or dead people don't contribute to the economy either. By the way, I do live in Southern California, so everything affects me as well.

Yeah, me too. I won’t change my habits anytime soon soon. Too much risk, especially to those with whom I work.

Sadly, I think it’ll go in waves. We loosen, things get worse for a month or two, then we tighten up. If folks could only hang on with the right restrictions just a little longer ...

One thing going for us are none of the traditional “gathering” holidays, typically with alcohol, occur at this time of year. The summer has Memorial Day, 4th of July, and Labor Day. Late fall has Thanksgiving and then the December holidays.

We do have MLK and Cesar Chavez Day, and while there may be gatherings, they’re not the kind where people drink with abandon and many activities will be online. And I don’t recall seeing anyone go all out for President’s Day.

The next big hurdles to me are St. Patrick’s Day and Mardi Graw (maybe Super Bowl Sunday a little—or did that already happen? 😂).
  • Chef_Barbell
    Chef_Barbell Posts: 6,646 Member
    Super Bowl Sunday is on February 7th.
  • Theo166
    Theo166 Posts: 2,564 Member
    edited January 2021
    SModa61 wrote: »
    Got my results for the bloodwork from my annual physical orders. Vitamin D is 22 :(

Going to start investigating supplements.

Recently watched this YouTube video, with two 'known' experts discussing Vit D. I really like how John Campbell presents the science around COVID.

Mr David Davis MP and Vitamin D
  • SModa61
    SModa61 Posts: 2,847 Member
    Theo166 wrote: »
    SModa61 wrote: »
    Got my results for the bloodwork from my annual physical orders. Vitamin D is 22 :(

Going to start investigating supplements.

Recently watched this YouTube video, with two 'known' experts discussing Vit D. My link is to just before they talk treatment including Vit D supplementation. I really like how John Campbell presents the science around COVID.

Mr David Davis MP and Vitamin D

@theo166 thank you. I appreciate the link. I’m going to watch/listen to the whole presentation tonight.
  • Theo166
    Theo166 Posts: 2,564 Member
    Psychgrrl wrote: »

Sadly, I think it’ll go in waves. We loosen, things get worse for a month or two, then we tighten up. If folks could only hang on with the right restrictions just a little longer ...

One thing going for us are none of the traditional “gathering” holidays, typically with alcohol, occur at this time of year. The summer has Memorial Day, 4th of July, and Labor Day. Late fall has Thanksgiving and then the December holidays.

We do have MLK and Cesar Chavez Day, and while there may be gatherings, they’re not the kind where people drink with abandon and many activities will be online. And I don’t recall seeing anyone go all out for President’s Day.

The next big hurdles to me are St. Patrick’s Day and Mardi Graw (maybe Super Bowl Sunday a little—or did that already happen? 😂).

Yea, it will continue in waves, but we are also vaccinating close to 1million a day, within the the population at highest risk of exposure or highest risk of serious outcomes. The case fatality rate should be dropping even if the infection rate remains troublesome.
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    AnnPT77 wrote: »

Report on NPR station a little while ago (didn't notice whether it was national or state level) says double masking is now a good idea, partly because of the new variants that are more highly contagious. The expert ** they were interviewing suggested a disposable filter-type mask next to the face because of better filtration, cloth mask over that to add layers but especially to keep fit to the face better (fewer, smaller gaps).

** I didn't catch the intro; could've been anything from a science journalist regurgitating info to a high-level epidemiologist/doctor. Don't know, sorry. 😐🤷‍♀️

Other comments: N95 should still be primarily reserved for health care workers & similar. KN95 are fairly available, but lots of substandard/fake ones on the market (said CDC website has a list of reliable brands). Interviewee said she wouldn't worry about double mask for (say) walking the dog, but a good idea for places like grocery stores

I've heard the same, from multiple sources. That for stuff like grocery shopping where you're indoors with strangers, to double mask or get a pro grade mask. In addition to KN95, I saw a suggestion of a KF94 (I think?). No idea what the difference is, but something I made a mental note to look into.

The only place I go where there's even a chance of having strangers close to me is grocery/toiletry shopping, and I go at odd times and I'll just not get an item on my list if an aisle isn't mostly clear, but if I can up my mask game I'm starting to think it might be worth it.
  • lokihen
    lokihen Posts: 382 Member

Curious about the bolded because I've heard that many times in the last year, but the hospital I worked at only used surgical masks or PPAP hoods. I've even heard anecdotal stories that hospitals didn't allow nurses to bring in their own higher quality masks.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 31,935 Member
    lokihen wrote: »

Curious about the bolded because I've heard that many times in the last year, but the hospital I worked at only used surgical masks or PPAP hoods. I've even heard anecdotal stories that hospitals didn't allow nurses to bring in their own higher quality masks.
    lokihen wrote: »

I have no idea; it was an aside in the conversation. Perhaps she was thinking of people in health care who are not directly caring for Covid patients in hospitals? Staff I see in doctor's offices, for example, seem to be wearing cloth or disposable masks, mostly. I don't know what staff in the non-Covid parts of nursing homes and rehab centers have. I would think any of those kinds of people would be at elevated risk. The definition of "health care" can be pretty broad . . . .