Getting fit at 50 and beyond...200+ pound club

Replies

• sportygal1971
    sportygal1971 Posts: 60 Member
    Oh I have two monster tattoos on my knees. This way when it hurts I say the monsters are acting up. Before that my knees were called Fred & Ethel. Lol
    Most of knee pain is weak quads, tight hamstrings.
    Foam rolling, and rolling pin on the muscles helps too.
  • jm216
    jm216 Posts: 3,721 Member
    daydrem_dw wrote: »
    jm216 wrote: »
    Happy Friday friends!
    This is a fun overall workout. Gotta love Gina B!
    https://youtu.be/08sz1Vuf5bc

Thank you for sharing! It sounds fun and I think it's something I'd like.

This week, I've initiated a plan to get in extra steps/movement during the day. I have music playing in the background and step/sway/dance while I work at my stand-up desk. It isn't an aerobic workout by any means, and I have to be focused on my work so need to remind myself to start moving again after a call or when I've become engrossed in the task at hand and stopped. It isn't a miracle cure for my habitual inactivity, but it's something. Add the video and dog walking (2x so far this week) and I know I'm on the road to feeling much better about myself.

Awesome way to get in exercise and get work done. ✔️
  • jm216
    azalea4175 wrote: »
    @OneLadie @sportygal1971 I am almost 60 and am in a similar position. I have not had surgery but need to have my knee replaced. How do i exercise with a bad knee? i bought an elliptical bike. I know nothing about biking and need to learn, can either of you give me some pointers? you may either of you add me as a friend also if you wish. I want to be healthy and strong, and active. Right now mobility is difficult because of the knee and weight. Working on changing that. You have got this ladies!!

Water aerobics is great too. With my broken tibia and messed up knee last Feb, water rehab was great. And the best way to helping knee is nutrition. Less weight, knee happy, better nutrition less inflammation

Swimming is so good for your joints and knees. Can’t wait til May to open our pool back up.
  • jm216
    Happy Saturday Friends!

Today Roxie and I did a 15 minute walk in 15 degrees Fahrenheit. She would stay out longer, but it’s too cold for her. So, I finished the morning with Gina B. I did some modifications to keep my knees happy. She’s just so fun and upbeat! Find your fun!
    https://youtu.be/pVHVMqHzLAQ
  • cpnknight
    cpnknight Posts: 200 Member
    Well here we are again.
    It's 08:35, it's Sunday.
    That means the "Scaly Beast" is on the prowl once again!
    I am not too confident with my weeks progress but It shouldn't be too disastrous either...
    Here we go chaps!
    Weight was, 301.2 lbs...Now, 300.2 lbs...1 pound loss

Not exceptional but if I lose 1 lb every week then I will be a very happy chappy indeed.

Two weeks until "Weights and Measures" day so hopefully I can have won this 300 lbs barrier battle by then...
  • daydrem_dw
    daydrem_dw Posts: 83 Member
    Sunday Funday

8/12/20: 210 (start weight)
    12/20/20: 189.8
    12/27/20: 187.4
    1/11/21: 186.6
    1/17/21: 184.8
    1/24/21: 185.6

A slight uptick but I was expecting it and am not going to let it get me down. I'm on the right track...
  • cpnknight
    cpnknight Posts: 200 Member
    daydrem_dw wrote: »
    Sunday Funday

8/12/20: 210 (start weight)
    12/20/20: 189.8
    12/27/20: 187.4
    1/11/21: 186.6
    1/17/21: 184.8
    1/24/21: 185.6

A slight uptick but I was expecting it and am not going to let it get me down. I'm on the right track...

If the down ticks out perform the up ticks then the progress is in the right direction....
  • jm216
    Starting weight: 214 pounds on 1/1/2021
    Height: 5’8”
    Goal weight: 184

Weekly Check-In:
    January 1: 214
    January 3: 211.6
    January 10: 209.7
    January 17: 207.6
    January 24: 208
    January 31:

Up .4 pounds this week.

This week’s successes:
    ✔️walked Roxie everyday

✔️Logging my food as I eat it... the good & the bad
    ✔️ Had fun with dance walks on UTube

This week’s challenges:
    • ate over my calories 5 of 7 days
    Stress/ bored snacking
    Didn’t drink enough water

Goal this week. Incorporate more salads, fruit, and water.

Kind of bummed, but using this as motivation to retweak things.

Happy Monday!

Jill 🍊
  • daydrem_dw
    Starting weight: 214 pounds on 1/1/2021
    Height: 5’8”
    Goal weight: 184

Weekly Check-In:
    January 1: 214
    January 3: 211.6
    January 10: 209.7
    January 17: 207.6
    January 24: 208
    January 31:

Up .4 pounds this week.

This week’s successes:
    ✔️walked Roxie everyday

✔️Logging my food as I eat it... the good & the bad
    ✔️ Had fun with dance walks on UTube

This week’s challenges:
    • ate over my calories 5 of 7 days
    Stress/ bored snacking
    Didn’t drink enough water

Goal this week. Incorporate more salads, fruit, and water.

Kind of bummed, but using this as motivation to retweak things.

Happy Monday!

Jill 🍊

It's like you wrote MY list of successes, challenges (all 3 items, but especially the bored snacking), and goals.

We'll both have a longer list of successes come Sunday, I just know it!
  • greyjulie
    greyjulie Posts: 9 Member
    Hi everyone Id love to join in on this thread.Im not new to MFP Ive been on and off for years,Ive once again decided to clean up my act and loose the weight.Isint it so much harder than it use to be? Im 52 now heading for 53 this year,Im in good health Im through the menopause without any problems so far anyway,apart from the weight gain but I dont think I can really blame it all on MP I really need to loose about 20lbs Ive cut out all bread,pastries cakes sweets,I dont drink fizzy drinks or alcohol,My diet is mainly protein good carbs good fats,Im studying at the moment and dont have alot of time for exercise but I do try to get in a good walk as often as I can.Scales not budging much! feels like Im stuck on 156 lbs for ever,Im 5ft2 so its just very heavy!
  • jm216
    Welcome GreyJulie!

We’re glad you’re here. 😁

Jill
  • jm216
    Hi all,

For the past week I’ve been watching my slow creep weight gain. I’m moving more, but I’m also snacking at night more... and I don’t like it at all.

A long time ago, I used to eat an orange at night, and that was my nightly sweet snack. I would peel it with my hands and work for that beautiful citrus smell and taste. Orange is also my favorite color. I’ve got to get back in that habit.

I am not a creeper!

I will eat an orange at night!

Jill🍊
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,454 Member
    In March of 2020 I was at 218. I was really bulky and carried a lot of belly fat. By Oct, I was down to 177lbs and wearing a lot of my old clothes from the 90's again. :D Not that I really wear anything but gym clothes anyway. But my overall goal is to just be above the weight I used to compete at and that would be around 165lbs. Weight has crept up 3lbs, but if I just refocus, this should be an attainable goal even with weight loss slowdown.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • jm216
    ninerbuff wrote: »
    In March of 2020 I was at 218. I was really bulky and carried a lot of belly fat. By Oct, I was down to 177lbs and wearing a lot of my old clothes from the 90's again. :D Not that I really wear anything but gym clothes anyway. But my overall goal is to just be above the weight I used to compete at and that would be around 165lbs. Weight has crept up 3lbs, but if I just refocus, this should be an attainable goal even with weight loss slowdown.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

Great accomplishments!
  • jm216
    I got on the scale this morning and weighed myself 4 times and took the average like I do every day.

Today’s weight is 206.5.... Yesterday’s weight was 209.4. Yesterday I ate slightly under my calories and shoveled snow for an hour. Is snow the secret to weight loss???❄️☃️

Jill🍊
  • jtgood1958
    jtgood1958 Posts: 3 Member
    Hi all, just joining.

Start weight 306lb and start age is 58. I want to get weight down before I hit 60 if I can.

I started doing steps a few weeks back, so far I'm up to 8k a day. I take Tuesdays off so I never feel the pressure is too much. I design my goals to match what I know about myself.

One of my issues is that I work till nearly midnight, get home in early hours and need a while to unwind from work and I eat.

JT
  • daydrem_dw
    I got on the scale this morning and weighed myself 4 times and took the average like I do every day.

Today’s weight is 206.5.... Yesterday’s weight was 209.4. Yesterday I ate slightly under my calories and shoveled snow for an hour. Is snow the secret to weight loss???❄️☃️

Jill🍊

I don't know, but I'm following your lead and heading out to shovel RIGHT NOW.
  • jm216
    jtgood1958 wrote: »
    Hi all, just joining.

Start weight 306lb and start age is 58. I want to get weight down before I hit 60 if I can.

I started doing steps a few weeks back, so far I'm up to 8k a day. I take Tuesdays off so I never feel the pressure is too much. I design my goals to match what I know about myself.

One of my issues is that I work till nearly midnight, get home in early hours and need a while to unwind from work and I eat.

JT

Welcome JT! Glad you found us!
  • frankwbrown
    frankwbrown Posts: 12,044 Member

Jill🍊

It doesn't snow here. Maybe I should try shoveling dirt? :D
  • jm216
    Having fun with weight loss tickers:

33454086.png