How to start to succeed

I have to succeed at this. I have started to have bigger and bigger health issues lately and feel like crap ALL the time. Don't want to move. Trying to set small goes to get going again but never struggled like I am right now. Curious what others using this app are doing for their weight loss plan? I am trying to do calorie deficit only but scared it won't be enough. Have 80 lbs to lose MINIMUM! Ugh it seems impossible.

Replies

• Speakeasy76
    Speakeasy76 Posts: 961 Member
    I think the first thing I'd recommend is changing your mindset. I know it feels impossible right now, but if you're telling yourself that now you may be setting yourself up for failure. You are on the right path in setting small goals for now--one or a few at a time. Focus on 1-2 things you think you can be successful at, and once you are successful add some more.

You CAN do this! Find what works for you, long-term. It may not look like others', but as long as it's healthy and doable for you long-term, that's all that really matters.
  • Theo166
    Theo166 Posts: 2,564 Member
    Ronettec wrote: »
    I have to succeed at this. I have started to have bigger and bigger health issues lately and feel like crap ALL the time. Don't want to move. Trying to set small goes to get going again but never struggled like I am right now. Curious what others using this app are doing for their weight loss plan? I am trying to do calorie deficit only but scared it won't be enough. Have 80 lbs to lose MINIMUM! Ugh it seems impossible.

Don't worry, a 'calorie deficit' will definitely work for you.
    The challenge is in accurately recording what you eat. Also, pay attention to your macros and start with a target of no more than 1 lb a week, don't be too aggressive until you are into a healthy eating rhythm.

Can you expand on where/how you are struggling?
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,443 Member
    edited January 2021
    sijomial wrote: »
    I am trying to do calorie deficit only but scared it won't be enough. Have 80 lbs to lose MINIMUM! Ugh it seems impossible.

Just like a long term calorie surplus was enough to make you overweight, a long term calorie deficit is enough to get you back to a healthy weight.

Small correction to avoid confusion.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    sijomial wrote: »
    I am trying to do calorie deficit only but scared it won't be enough. Have 80 lbs to lose MINIMUM! Ugh it seems impossible.

Just like a long term calorie surplus was enough to make you overweight, a long term calorie deficit is enough to get you back to a healthy weight.

Small correction to avoid confusion.

Oops! Thanks.
    Guess my fingers hadn't woken up yet!
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,454 Member
    One of my toughest clients just couldn't seem to get started. We'd do one session (30 minutes long) then I wouldn't see her again for a month. Finally she got news from her doc that if she didn't fix it, she'd be on the verge of diabetes. Of course she's back again, but asked me how she could be more consistent. I told her on the days we don't train, I don't care if she just came in for 10 minutes to do cardio, but to just at least show up. She came in a couple of times a week to walk on the treadmill. Over time her time there got longer. Eventually she in everyday doing something including group fitness classes. This was years ago at a different gym 2000 miles away now, but at the time she had lost 60lbs over a years time. Hope this helps.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,443 Member
    ninerbuff wrote: »
    One of my toughest clients just couldn't seem to get started. We'd do one session (30 minutes long) then I wouldn't see her again for a month. Finally she got news from her doc that if she didn't fix it, she'd be on the verge of diabetes. Of course she's back again, but asked me how she could be more consistent. I told her on the days we don't train, I don't care if she just came in for 10 minutes to do cardio, but to just at least show up. She came in a couple of times a week to walk on the treadmill. Over time her time there got longer. Eventually she in everyday doing something including group fitness classes. This was years ago at a different gym 2000 miles away now, but at the time she had lost 60lbs over a years time. Hope this helps.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

I agree with this! On days I don’t want to workout, I tell myself I just have to do 10 minutes, then I can quit. Guess what? I never end up quitting after those ten minutes.
  • ecjim
    ecjim Posts: 1,001 Member
    You can start with small changes - put more veggies on your plate at supper. eat an apple for a snack - or some almonds, or a carrot. Eat breakfast - some protein - not donuts . Eat some protein 3-4 times per day, starting with breakfast .You get the idea
    ---Go for a walk --
  • MidlifeCrisisFitness
    MidlifeCrisisFitness Posts: 1,106 Member
    Make your goals actions that support your goals not the results. Celebrate doing the right things.

Meaure results less frequently.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member

1. Get a food scale and weigh all your foods
    2. make sure you use correct MFP food entries
    3. IF you use MFP method eat to the number of calories they give you and eat back your exercise calories. (I usually say only eat back half of your exercise calories as the counts tend to be inflated but that is my opinion) Just make sure that you are netting the number that MFP gives you. So 1500 goal if you burn 250 you eat that 250 back to make sure you net 1500.
    4. It is a marathon not a sprint. You did not gain 80 pounds overnight and you are not going to lose it overnight.

• rosebarnalice
    rosebarnalice Posts: 3,488 Member
    Trying to set small goes to get going again
    THIS is the key, and you said it yourself! You don't have to do everything at once/
    • Maybe your first goal is to simply weigh all your food and log it accurately, and build a recipe or two so you can learn how to use the recipe builder.
    • Then after a week or two, you set a new small goal to reduce your net calories (amount eaten - exercise) by 200 or 300 calories a day. On any given day, you can meet that goal by reducing how much you eat, OR increasing how much you move.
    • Then, after a couple more weeks once you've got the logging thing down and you're getting kinda comfortable with your net calories, you either raise your weekly activity habits, or lower your daily calorie goal.
    • Then after that is starting to feel right, you might start focusing on your macros based on what you've learned in the previous weeks and also what goals you want to accomplish (e.g., lowering fat, raising proteins, increasing fiber, or lowering sodium for example)

You don't have to do a 180 degree lifestyle change all at once-- and in fact, that may set you up for failure! You've got to give yourself time to examine and decide what habits/ behaviors that put on those 80 lbs might be things you can change easily, and which ones might take more time :smile:

• 4Phoenix
    4Phoenix Posts: 236 Member
    @Ronettec Lots of good advice posted above. It is possible if you are dedicated and focused on your goals....making a plan and taking action. There is so much wonderful support here and I'm sure you can find a Challenge group that resonates with you so you can post daily. Yes, it takes work and there will be challenges, but you can overcome these bumps in the road. Remember that the baby steps will, over time, result in big gains...it requires patience. Keep moving to reach your goals. What works for me may not work for you, you will find the path that feeds you on all levels. I love my lifestyle, but it doesn't work for everyone. Don't give up and have some strategies in place that works for you during the stressful times (i.e., yoga, meditation, tai chi, walks, prayers, breath-work, Wim Hof, journals), whatever works for you. Welcome and wishing you much success!
  • Abbysaurus84
    Abbysaurus84 Posts: 7 Member
    I find that I can't think of it as an overall weight goal. I have to split it up into mini goals. So my goal is to always "get into the next round of 10's" So if i'm in the 280's my goal is to get into the 270's and so on. Makes for a lot more celebrations and good feelings when you do actually make it!
  • L1zardQueen
    L1zardQueen Posts: 8,754 Member
    By not quitting.