Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

What exercise/program defines BORING for you?

ninerbuff
ninerbuff Posts: 48,488 Member
People are all different. Some find joy in exercising with weights and others with cardio, while some love yoga, etc. But I'm more than sure many here have tried forms of exercise they found boring. What made it boring to you? For me, it was cycling class. There's really only a couple of ways to pedal, so while yes you can turn up resistance, or "climb", doing an hour of cycling classes don't do it for me. I do have a mountain bike that I ride outside which I do enjoy.

Let's hear 'em.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
IDEA Fitness member
Kickboxing Certified Instructor
Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

Replies

• cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member
    edited January 2021
    Pretty much any indoor, stationary cardio with one caveat which is I have discovered Zwift and enjoy it far more than any other indoor cycling I've ever done. Not so much the just riding around part...though that can be mildly entertaining, but I am enjoying the structured programs and workouts and it's easy to see where I need to improve and see improvements being made...like my pedal stroke is inefficient with lots of dead spots and my FTP is for *kitten* right now...which I kinda expected being off the bike for about 9 months. I also like the whole "video game" aspect of it and chasing badges and whatnot and lots of cumulative training data in one place.

But yeah...pretty much droning away on the treadmill, elliptical, stair master, my old dumb indoor trainer, etc...You're just staring at the wall. I also don't really enjoy cardio that doesn't have some kind of real world functionality that translates over to other things I do. I've yet to figure out what the elliptical would make me better at (except for improved cardiovascular capacity)...plus it makes my feet go numb. Also, jumping around my living room to a DVD or YouTube just doesn't do it for me...it makes me feel like I'm just doing random stuff to do stuff...which is fine, but not my cup of tea.
  • MaltedTea
    MaltedTea Posts: 6,286 Member
    Isometric holds. Essentric moves. Yoga. Pilates.

Thing is boring isn't necessarily bad. All of the above have a place (although minor lol) in my workouts at some point during the year.
  • ythannah
    ythannah Posts: 4,365 Member
    It's a tossup between walking on a treadmill and yoga. I think yoga might have the lead though because you could always watch TV while on the treadmill.
  • Jennliftsandspins
    Jennliftsandspins Posts: 150 Member
    Walking outside alone. I want to walk with friends or my husband.

On the treadmill or rower I can watch a show but usually choose YouTube to spin, do yoga or circuit training.
  • gigius72
    gigius72 Posts: 183 Member
    I like movement. I can't stay in place for to long.
    I love running (not on a treadmill). I've been doing Aikido for close to 15 years and as meditation I use taichi.
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    I don’t really mind anything I’ve tried. Indoor cardio is probably the closest to boring, but I just put on a podcast and I’m good to go.

But I’d always rather be lifting. 😉
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Resistance training. I mean, I know it's important, but if there was another way to get those benefits, I'd quit so quickly.

Also not a fan of anything that has me watching someone else's movements and repeating, like aerobics, etc. I'd much rather have a simpler movement and be able to let my mind wander, things like running, cycling, etc.
  • claireychn074
    claireychn074 Posts: 1,324 Member
    Running or cycling (sorry @sijomial ) and prehab work. Necessary but deathly boring. Let me clean and jerk!
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    So many of the listed cardio workouts, when inside, if no music - so boring.

Can tolerate or enjoy if music available.
    Have done 2 hrs on gym spin bike with my own mix with cadence (bpm music) changes for up & down hill and level hard efforts, my own routine.
    Treadmill same thing, some variety in pacing and matching music needed.

Stretching can barely do needed required stuff so will call that the most boring, but never tried a yoga or stretching class because I know I couldn't take it.