Eating the right amount Calorie Deficit and TDEE

Options
I am trying to workout exactly how much I should eat daily for weight loss.

I've used TDEE calculators, which vary a little but on average they show the following:
My BMR is 1450
My TDEE is 1599 (sedentary) or 1740 with light workout.

I entered the same info into MFP calculator and it tells me to eat 1200 under nutrition and shows 1490 under Fitness Goals.

Could someone please help simplify this so I can begin to do this correctly.

I'm 180lb 38 years old 5'2".
I have a sedentary job and sit for most of the day, other than short dog walks - less than 1 hour of actual walking and I have a fitness bike I do 45 minute peloton workouts on 4-5 days a week, those workouts burn 400 calories give or take a calorie or two.

Appreciate any help here :)

Replies

• Lietchi
    Lietchi Posts: 6,109 Member
    Options
    Your TDEE is how many calories you burn throughout the day (= maintenance calories) so you need to subtract from that to lose weight (create a calorie deficit)

Your calorie goal given on MFP:
    - does not take into account your intentional exercise: your activity level is meant to reflect your day to day activity (job, chores, hobbies,...) not including intentional activity. You're meant to log exercise separately, which will give you more calories to consume. Which is not the same as a TDEE method where everything is included up front.
    - takes into account your chosen weight loss rate and activity level. It calculates an estimation of how many calories you burn per day (not including exercise) and subtracts 500kcal per day for a weight loss rate of 1lb per week; 1000 calories are subtracted for 2lbs weight loss per week, etc.. But MFP will never go lower than 1200 calories for women to ensure adequate nutrition.

Your 1200 calorie goal on MFP tells me you have chosen a weight loss rate that is too agressive for the size you are. What weight loss rate did you select?
  • kegan5
    kegan5 Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    Lietchi wrote: »
    Your TDEE is how many calories you burn throughout the day (= maintenance calories) so you need to subtract from that to lose weight (create a calorie deficit)

- does not take into account your intentional exercise: your activity level is meant to reflect your day to day activity (job, chores, hobbies,...) not including intentional activity. You're meant to log exercise separately, which will give you more calories to consume. Which is not the same as a TDEE method where everything is included up front.
    - takes into account your chosen weight loss rate and activity level. It calculates an estimation of how many calories you burn per day (not including exercise) and subtracts 500kcal per day for a weight loss rate of 1lb per week; 1000 calories are subtracted for 2lbs weight loss per week, etc.. But MFP will never go lower than 1200 calories for women to ensure adequate nutrition.

Your 1200 calorie goal on MFP tells me you have chosen a weight loss rate that is too agressive for the size you are. What weight loss rate did you select?

2lb per week

• Lietchi
    Lietchi Posts: 6,109 Member
    edited January 2021
    Options
    I would suggest choosing a slower weight loss rate. I prefer to suffer as little as possible, so I chose a weight loss rate of 0.5lbs from the start. But even if you're more impatient than me, losing weight too fast isn't good either: you'll risk losing muscle mass and it'll make your calorie goal harder to stick with.
    I'd suggest choosing 1.5lbs per week (or even 1lb per week), but that might still be only 1200 for you. 1200 calories (on days you don't exercise, since you get extra calories for exercise) is low and is hard to follow for a lot of people. I know I'd be starving eating that little :smile:
  • Ddsb11
    Ddsb11 Posts: 607 Member
    edited January 2021
    Options
    1 lb= 3500 calories. If your TDEE (maintenance calories)= 1600, you would chose a deficit above 1200 as that would be a minimum amount recommended by MFP. .5 lbs a week is a 250 cal deficit per day and would= 1350. Weighing your food with a food scale, with such a small margin for error, would be pretty important. Remember, additional exercise would give you more calories on those days. Typically people eat some or most of them back.
  • westrich20940
    westrich20940 Posts: 873 Member
    Options
    If you're going to use the TDEE method - you need to set your calorie goal manually in MFP. I think that's the easiest.

Use your TDEE, with your activity level set as sedentary --- set your calorie limit as less than that but more than your BMR....then log your workout (your bike riding, or even the walk you do).

If you log your workouts...MFP will add those calories back --- you can work on how much of those you should actually eat back, you just want to make sure that between the manual deficit you've set + your calories burned through exercise you're not eating too little.

For example...when I was actively losing weight I ate back 50-100% of those calories depending on if I felt hungry or not. But I always ate back some of them bc I'd already set my calorie goal as lower than my TDEE and I didn't want to net too little cals.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member
    Options
    kegan5 wrote: »
    I am trying to workout exactly how much I should eat daily for weight loss.

I've used TDEE calculators, which vary a little but on average they show the following:
    My BMR is 1450
    My TDEE is 1599 (sedentary) or 1740 with light workout.

I entered the same info into MFP calculator and it tells me to eat 1200 under nutrition and shows 1490 under Fitness Goals.

Could someone please help simplify this so I can begin to do this correctly.

I'm 180lb 38 years old 5'2".
    I have a sedentary job and sit for most of the day, other than short dog walks - less than 1 hour of actual walking and I have a fitness bike I do 45 minute peloton workouts on 4-5 days a week, those workouts burn 400 calories give or take a calorie or two.

Appreciate any help here :)

MFP is not a TDEE calculator, it is a NEAT method calculator (Non Exercise Activity Thermogenesis). Using MFP as designed, exercise does not factor into your activity level. Also, the number in your "Fitness Goals" has no bearing on your calorie targets...it's just information for you based on what you put in as your goals for exercise. To account for exercise activity with MFP, you would log that exercise and MFP will give you additional calories.

1200 is the lowest MFP will go for a female...it may or may not result in an actual 2 Lb per week loss, but it is what most women will get as a calorie target if they put sedentary and 2 Lbs per week. 2 Lbs per week is a 1,000 calorie daily cut from maintenance...it is very aggressive, so calories are going to be very low.

You can use a TDEE calculator to include your exercise in your activity and customize your calorie target in MFP...but a TDEE with light active of 1740 really means that you do not have a TDEE high enough to support a 2 Lb per week loss.

To that end, are you sure you put everything into the TDEE calculator correctly? I find it hard to believe that with a BMR of 1450 you would only have a TDEE of 1740 with your day to day hum drum plus regular exercise. How many steps do you usually get in a day? I walk my dog daily and have a desk job and get around 10K steps just from that and walking around during the day to talk to collogues, etc., which puts me above light active even without my deliberate workouts.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,055 Member
    Options
    Lietchi wrote: »

2lb per week

Speaking as someone who started at around your current weight (I was 183 pounds, and only a bit taller at 5'5"), that's a pretty aggressive weight loss rate. It can come with elevated health risks, and possibly sustainability issues.

Many of us here, especially the long-term successful subset I believe, think 0.5-1% (max) of current weight is about the highest sensible, sustainable loss rate. Any meaningful amount of weight loss is a long term project (weeks, months, even years for some); sustainability and health-risk management are important.

If you picked the MFP activity level as per instructions (based on daily life activity before intentional exercise), you'd be logging that 400 calories of Peleton on top of the 1200, you'd be eating 1600 on Peleton days, which is pretty darned close to what the TDEE calculator is saying.

Whether you use a TDEE calculator and set MFP goal manually (so have the same calorie goal every day regardless of exercise), or let MFP estimate (so log and eat back exercise, probably the day of the exercise but you can carry it over if you prefer), you want to stick with a consistent regimen for 4-6 weeks, then compare average weekly loss rate to a sensible target rate, then adjust intake if needed. (Premenopausal women should go for at least one full menstrual cycle, compare bodyweight at the same relative point in at least 2 different cycles, because monthly water weight fluctuations can be very misleading, for some, over shorter timespans.)

Even then, the first couple of weeks can be misleading for anyone (water weight weirdness), and should be discarded & more trial weeks added, for best results.

Any of these calculators (even fitness trackers) are just giving you an estimate. It'll be pretty darned close for the average person, but the only way you know how average you are in this context is by running that personal experiment.

Best wishes!
  • PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 13,596 Member
    edited January 2021
    Options
    Echo chambering that 2lbs a week is too aggressive given your stats and activity level.

I am one of the few people who I see posting who advocate a corollary of the 0.5%-ish of bodyweight per week rule and likes to view deficits as a percentage of *actual* TDEE.

With well sized deficits not exceeding 15% of TDEE (20% deficits while body energy reserve levels are commensurate with being categorized as obese or highly overweight)

So with a tdee of <=2000 you would be looking at 250 to 500 Cal deficits.

• kegan5
    kegan5 Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    Thank you for the advice, I put on an extra 12lbs being stuck indoors and so I guess I wanted to speedup losing that to get back to my 'normal big' and then work on slowing down the remainder to my actual goal weight. Prior to lock down, my heavy weight was 165 so this is just frustrating :).

I'll go in and switch up my settings here, sounds like that's the best way to go.
    cwolfman13 wrote: »

To that end, are you sure you put everything into the TDEE calculator correctly? I find it hard to believe that with a BMR of 1450 you would only have a TDEE of 1740 with your day to day hum drum plus regular exercise. How many steps do you usually get in a day? I walk my dog daily and have a desk job and get around 10K steps just from that and walking around during the day to talk to collogues, etc., which puts me above light active even without my deliberate workouts.

I used a couple of calculators online as they seem to shift a little...
    I used tdee calc .net

I have age 38. Female, 180lb, 5'2 Sedentary which gives 1450 for BMR, 1740 for sedentary and 1993 for light maintenance.

It says to cut calories to 1240 a 500 calorie deficit but this always confuses me because its lower than the BMR... so they seem to always say never ever eat less than BMR 1450... also eat less to lose weight :/

I will go ahead and adjust my plan in MFP but any clarity on my TDEE confusion above I'd love to understand that.
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    If you asked about the TDEE method because you prefer the idea of same eating goal daily no matter what, then the following TDEE sheet has your info in it. You can make your own copy.

This is based on the info you provided, which includes hitting the couch/chair/bed after walking the dog or workouts in the evenings and all weekend - pretty much no household responsibilities with kids and not much with dog.
    Otherwise check the box you are more active.

This will let you follow the advice to adjust based on results, in section further down.

Just TDEE Please spreadsheet - better than rough 5 level TDEE charts from 1919 study.
    https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1G7FgNzPq3v5WMjDtH0n93LXSMRY_hjmzNTMJb3aZSxM/edit?usp=sharing

I've noticed Google is not being nice about updating formula results when changes are made - may need to reload page after you create your copy and change an option.

If you do want to use MFP as intended and adjust daily - I'd suggest count the dog walk in daily activity and select MFP level of Lightly-Active, only log the workouts and eat more on those days.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member
    Options
    Thank you for the advice, I put on an extra 12lbs being stuck indoors and so I guess I wanted to speedup losing that to get back to my 'normal big' and then work on slowing down the remainder to my actual goal weight. Prior to lock down, my heavy weight was 165 so this is just frustrating :).

I'll go in and switch up my settings here, sounds like that's the best way to go.

I used a couple of calculators online as they seem to shift a little...
    I used tdee calc .net

I have age 38. Female, 180lb, 5'2 Sedentary which gives 1450 for BMR, 1740 for sedentary and 1993 for light maintenance.

It says to cut calories to 1240 a 500 calorie deficit but this always confuses me because its lower than the BMR... so they seem to always say never ever eat less than BMR 1450... also eat less to lose weight :/

I will go ahead and adjust my plan in MFP but any clarity on my TDEE confusion above I'd love to understand that.

If you're using TDEE, you need to include all of your activity...if you're exercising 5 days per week, you aren't sedentary...you would at least use the light active maintenance number. A 500 calorie cut from that would be just shy of 1,500 calories per day to lose about 1 Lb per week.

If you're using MFP's method, you would log exercise after the fact and get additional calories...let's say that's 400 calories from exercise...so you would be at 1200+400= 1,600 calories gross, which is relatively close to the total you would eat using the TDEE method.

These calculators use your BMR to help determine what your TDEE or NEAT would be. They do not make the distinction of eating or not eating below BMR...they simply take a 500 calorie cut from your TDEE or NEAT. In general, I see little need to eat below BMR...if you ate BMR calories you would obviously lose weight as even the most sedentary person is still going to burn more calories than BMR
  • PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 13,596 Member
    Options
    In general, I see little need to eat below BMR...if you ate BMR calories you would obviously lose weight as even the most sedentary person is still going to burn more calories than BMR

Since mfp sedentary Calories are defined as BMR*1.25, a max 20% cut off that would come to BMR*1. Hence validating the not necessarily desirable to eat less than BMR contingent...

Speed of loss is one thing. Setting up pre conditions to help maintain the loss is also a thing!