Vegan on a $200 a month budget?

Options
What tips can you offer? What does an average day of eating look like for you?

Replies

• gigius72
    gigius72 Posts: 183 Member
    edited January 2021
    Options
    If you have a sweet tooth you can buy a bag of vegan chocolate chips. You can eat a few chips, drop them in your breakfast or put a few chips in a small coffee cup add very little milk, microwave 10 seconds, stir it up and you got chocolate spread to eat on a slice of bread.
    Oh I was forgetting. Soups are good too. You can replace the salad with a soup.
  • breefoshee
    breefoshee Posts: 398 Member
    edited January 2021
    Options
    I agree with what others have said about dried beans. This is a really inexpensive recipe that I LOVE.

https://www.allrecipes.com/recipe/58211/authentic-louisiana-red-beans-and-rice/
    You can omit the sausage and celery. I also add salt/pepper to this recipe.

https://www.budgetbytes.com/ has some really great vegan recipes and breaks down the cost of each item.

I also have some friends who eat incredibly cheap for one week out of the month, so that they can have a little more to spend the other three weeks. I really like this idea and hope to try it myself next month!
  • rosebarnalice
    rosebarnalice Posts: 3,488 Member
    Options
    Seconds and thirds to finding a good international grocery (Asian and Indian in particular where there are lots of vegetarians!) and buying legumes in bulk. I also find my Asian grocery has MUCH better prices (and a better selection) on tofu products.

Buy what's on sale in the produce section (which usually means "in season") and avoid convenience packaging like salad mixes or mixed veggies that come with some kind of seasoning sauce. Mega-veg out in in the frozen veggie aisle on frozen veg like spinach, green beans, broccoli, etc, and legumes like beans, lentils, chickpeas.

Avoid the frozen "fake meat" and veggie meal products, or wait til they go on sale. As much as I love a good Boca Burger, Earth Grown Chick-Un Nugget, or Daiya pizza, they can blow the budget!
  • MikePfirrman
    MikePfirrman Posts: 3,307 Member
    Options
    I'm not vegan, but I love a good deal and try to eat (mostly) plant based. Costco is great for rice, beans and also for quinoa -- ridiculously cheap. They also have great deals on canned veggies and frozen plain vegetables. Obviously, the membership isn't free, but if you a friend that has one.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,897 Member
    Options
    Yes, I've been in countries where plant-based was definitely the cheapest way to eat. It's in first-world countries where it can get expensive. So like others have said, rice and beans in bulk and look for deals on produce.

I'm an omnivore but I have all kinds of dry legumes on hand - black beans, red beans, black eyed peas, lentils, split peas, chana dal - with a variety of spices, the possibilities are endless! I can also get a lot of varied meals with just black beans and lentils as my staple legumes.

Dried beans obviously take more prep and planning than canned beans, but are so much cheaper. Lentils would be the "fast food" of legumes.

An Asian friend told me a funny story about how she was shopping in a US Mid-Western grocery store and could not find the rice. Turned out it was all in little boxes. She was used to seeing it in 5, 10, 25 pound bags :)

Anyone in the Boston area looking for a great deal on Asian foods check out Kam Man in Quincy:

http://www.kamman.com/
  • Safari_Gal_
    Safari_Gal_ Posts: 1,461 Member
    edited January 2021
    Options
    I’m not vegan but i love vegetables.. 🥦🥬
    Buying frozen vegetables in bulk can last longer and save some $ too. I find the least expensive in my neighborhood in the frozen aisle are typically spinach and broccoli.