WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR JANUARY 2021

Replies

• TerriRichardson112
    TerriRichardson112 Posts: 17,929 Member
    It’s been dull and overcast all day, but we still managed a walk. There was a biting wind blowing so was pleased to get back home. Already got my steps for today, so will chill for the rest of the day.

• pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,431 Member
    0uzn17xlzdx5.jpeg
  • auntiebk
    auntiebk Posts: 2,463 Member
    "Get to do"s and "chose well"s
    Chose well: BP; fire hall emails, hard phone calls, picked up cell phone and card; DDS; picked up Joe’s watch; Post Office found missing filters.
    Bonus: met mail carrier Rachel, thanked for door delivery of packages too big for mailbox, strolled with T and Shadow.
    Get to do: take BP, dogs to powerline, return D’s call, pick up charger for firehall phone, ask for password and boots donator contact info, retrieve voicemails, forward to HD, firehall grantwork prep for Monday pm, call S, call C, call R, FM Cu, appreciation letter or certificate to boots donator, research effective conflict resolution, index mutual aid files, watch STAS Day 20, make experimental almond paste, declutter sideboard, practice new dances (Pure Movies to Wine, Beer, Whiskey, Sleeping with the Devil, I ain’t never gonna love nobody but Cornell Crawford (Alley cat), A Little Less Broken, One Margarita, I’m so used to being broke, All Night, Nothing but You, Blame it on my beating heart, Homesick); finish mulching flowerbed; broadcast cover crop seed in veg garden areas, invest another 10 minutes in prepping living trust, Freddie’s for complete series TDAP <$48, get Shingrix vaccine, find and configure a screen time popup, figure out where to plant naked lady bulbs, and soon as it warms up above 50 and dries out below 60% humidity I’ll tape and spray paint those rusted areas of Aunt Elsie’s stove. Reconcile Joe’s EOB’s Thrivent shows only 2263.48 so far, next BGBS ask Terry about GB’s FD firetruck tax levy – contacts, media, advocate???, call Wild Rivers (541 247 3514) for dog wash/nail trim appointments.
    Reward: inventory seeds, plan next year’s garden, wishlist replenishments,
    Happier January:
    30: Count how many people you can smile at today: and remember??? :laugh: 1 so far (Joe)
    Friday was so much better than Thursday. Hard calls went well, Joe’s watch was ready, T and I took advantage of a little break in the weather to stroll.

Lisa could you ask the docs to s l o o o w it down a pace? I’m a bit of a fast talker myself but find I need to slow down the medicos for my comprehension. Oh no, louder not slower? Sorry! Also sad the relationships between your siblings are so distant and strained. Selfishly, hearing it (and Kim’s story) makes me gladder I was an only ‘til I met my halves in our forties. Sending “better day” vibes.
    Margaret ((hugs))
    Allie rejoicing to hear from you! Prayers continue.
    Katla 2/22 seems a long time to wait, but at least you have a date. Fingers Xd.
    Tracey what Debbie and others said. Praying for Dillon’s miracle.
    Rebecca thanks for the McCormick “Hot Shot,” turmeric and cayenne I’ve got. ;) Can soup be far away?
    Michele mint chocolate chip ice cream has been a favorite of mine since my teens. There was an old fashioned candy and ice cream store in our town that would sell you 50 cents worth of peanut brittle or a one scoop mint chip cone, oh, it was soooo good! Brava for persisting with your Dr. Seems like we all have to vigorously advocate for ourselves, more than in the past.
    Debbie sure am glad that ortho watched your DH walk. SMH, seems to me like that would be the least invasive first diagnostic test to do. Please ask FIRMLY for that bone density scan, remind of your family history. The sooner you start on meds the less bone mass you lose. If she says no, insist on a second opinion.
    Welcome @dianpenelope! What an awful 3 years, makes the pandemic pale in comparison. Your reclaiming your life story is inspiring, your priorities spot on. Friends who encourage destructive behavior aren’t friends, they’re vampires, feeding off your misery. Brava for setting your boundaries, keeping sane. Has a PT recommended any surgery prep exercises for your knees? Would you let us know what you’d like to be called and your general locale?
    Betsy like Heather I’ve jumped in in the past when people took “too long” to respond. Mama required frequent, quick, relevant responses whenever she paused for a breath and “UhHuh” was not acceptable. It’s a terrible habit I’ve struggled and failed to break. No offense is intended but I really wish I’d take a breath, and then another, and give others the chance to speak.
    Annie glad to hear from you too! Was getting worried.
    Machka hope your bloodwork includes vitamin B12 levels, could be a factor in fatigue. “…anyone under 30…” when you were in your 40s? Great youthful genes you have!
    Kylia I used to be quicker at understanding accents than I am now. One of our firefighters is a kiwi and while I think I understand him, it frequently turns out I missed key words. Asking him to slow down might not work well… ;)
    Welcome @virgill Deborah in country Victoria Aus. Brava for deciding to reclaim your life. Journey begins…
    Terri Bravissima for getting your steps in despite the biting wind. Well done!
    Debby in VA glad to see you posting, you and your daughters have been in my prayers.

Sitting too long, time to get started on the day. Have lots of desk work to do so the challenge will be to make my butt move a little every hour.

Lighter, lovelies!
    f8qt1s098sxm.gifBarbara, the Southern Oregon Coastie AHMOD
    January: leaner/stronger/kinder than December.
    daily: sit with Joe: 28, weigh/wii: 29/12/36 29/12/36 steps>5592=2256 vits=27 log=29 CI<CO=26 CI<250<CO=22 Tumble 5=25 Shadow 5=26 mfp=29 outside=26 up hill=23
    wkly: BB&B,T’ai Chi or SWSY x3 =2 rx=3 dance=4 clean 60 mins=16.75 packwalk=5, wt=1/3:144.2, 1/10: 142. 1/17: 142.4 1/24: 140!!!
    mnthly: board mtg=1 , grant=3 , 21 plan= bonus: AF=17 play=23 sew=1 waist=42.5
    2021: choose to be leaner/stronger/kinder NOW
  • Peach1948
    Peach1948 Posts: 2,473 Member
    <3
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    edited January 2021
    Barbara: I am annoyed with the Governor’s political agenda. I agree with medical people, first responders & teachers getting vaccinated first. After that, I think that age groups make sense. That would include old Native Americans, old Caucasion Americans, old African Americans and old Asian Americans as one cohesive group. Then we should start with younger people. That system looks like equality in my mind. I like the concept of equality. I am glad that I am not in charge. :ohwell:

Katla
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,120 Member
    My difficult friend has now got her appointment for a vaccination, so that's all my friends apart from the ones in Wales. Apparently Wales is running behind. We are all over 70.
    Tomorrow looks like bearable weather, so we will walk the 25 mins over to the clinic. I will take an umbrella just in case.

Tonight is the last two EVER episodes of Engrenages, 'Spiral'. A French policier. It's been going for ever and I am hugely attached to the characters. I was worried they would finish the series by bumping them off, so I researched the ending to reassure myself. I am not a fan of tension and uncertainty. ;) The characters feel like family.

Love to all and WELCOME to the newcomers. Most of us learn the hard way how important it is to cherish ourselves. <3

Heather UK xxxxxxxx
  • bananasandoranges
    bananasandoranges Posts: 2,410 Member
    edited January 2021
    @cityjaneLondon nice to hear that your son is doing better. I didn't realise he might have had Covid. I have heard of some severe cases of medium term (at least) lasting fatigue and issue on brain of covid. (but not all cases...some seem to recover totally after a few weeks). I agree about relatively mild illnesses leaving with long-lasting effects.

@cityjaneLondon @kymarai @Mrs_Hoffer @auntiebk thank you for the virtual hugs, and thoughts, affirming words: needed, welcome and accepted, in as much as is possible virtually.

@kymarai congratulations on your SV!! :) Good luck with the hirees. I'm sorry you feel depression; I would agree this is normal at present. This guy was horrible way before internet deluge. He back the, said horrible things he shouldn't say (legally) and has yelled on a few occasions; I (on advice) had to send him a registered letter asking him to refrain from yelling and from saying certain things. I saw he was there last week when I passed by and his office door was open but he is so unpleasant I figured it's best to avoid him.

@grandmallie so glad to hear the surgery went wel.l

@Machka9 I'm sorry about your hip. its probably too categorical but I would totally stop running definitively. it can do a doozy on bones and more-so for women over 50 say. well-functioning lower limbs are so valuable. do you have any option for live healthcare? only only sounds like not enough.
    Also, during the beginning of my 2nd year of uni I was very tired and it really caught up with me when I stopped working. I'm sure this happened to me many times in my younger days, when I could just push through the fatigue: I would get tired or sick AFTER an intensive work period. and then I felt better. it's different when less young though. it can take more time to bounce back and one has to also double check more when older. great that physio can order MRI there! not here. Getting full bloodwork from time to time seems wise.

@margaretturk
    I am so sorry for you, your brother and your families. also about the prowler. (((hugs)))

@LisainAr I' am so sorry for the health stuff you are dealing with (((hugs))) You might feel something later about your brother (that is common), or you might not. You are not defective. You are genuine.

@auntiebk I'm so sorry about your dental stuff. I can relate well as I have 4 crowns in view. :/ Of course we know one day of not following perect CICO does not a change in pattern make. And of course fluctuation can account for the down after more CI than CO one day.

@dlfk202000 a bonk on the head to GPs who quickly diagnose physical ailments as psychological.

@dianepenelope Welcome and (((hugs))) you have been through so much.i think you can attack the con artist who stole your money. I have an old high school friend who was conned for a couple of years, and married the guy, (a looker, a sort of Michael Keaton looking guy) only to find that he was cheating and spending all her money and had no job (he was feigning to work online as a fancy consultant or something).

@teklawa1 so interesting what you write about different speeds of speaking. I grew up in north east and one of the younger in a group of 5 siblings, so, you definitely learned to talk fast, verbal joust. With 7 at the table, if you didn't act or speak quickly, that was that. Some of the inlaws (step sister, step brother) are not fans of this.
    My students sometimes say I speak fast. I've also spent much time in meditation centers in total silence, or slow and thoughtful, and every thing is way slowed down. And also with my students, often, I leave a silence and don't answer, so other students can take their time to jump in. I think this latter approach is more caring, but I surely navigate between the two. When I'm more tired, or nervous, I tend to speak more quickly for sure.
    I find my speech is more powerful when relatively slow with low voice.
    I can be impatient, but it's no so much relative to the speed of speaking ( I can really appreciate the aesthetic of slow, thoughtful, clear speech), but when people go on, without getting to the point, or go on way after the point has been gotten to, --but mostly in meetings.
    If people want to jabber away, one on one, just as a way to connect, or just needing to speak, or be heard, I'm willing, within reason, to accept that as a way of communicating, if we've planned to spend time together, and it's someone I care about, and that's what they need. like birds going chirp chirp chirp. :D If i can bring them back to a more thoughtful way of speaking, all the better, but i'm a bit indulgent with those who need to chatter, at times.

@exermom I asked for a bone density test to young replacement doctor and he was "no", so I'll ask my usual GP (an older woman). not first in priorities, but to do.

"What did you enjoy yesterday ?"(I missed this question yesterday). so for today's yesterday.
    - one of my 3 employers finally gave the final administrative confirmation on giving me time off to finish my thesis 10 months and 21 days taking me till December 17th. it was a real struggle to get confirmation.
    - meeting went pretty well
    - one major national union person (who seems reliable) said their union would support us and carry forth our goal (we need a long-term association or a union to do so)
    - another two guys in meeting are really taking on letter-writing tasks to senators and to national commissions, which is apparently key.
    - the national union person gave us really key information about who to contact within which dates, and so on.

What have you enjoyed recently ?
    -Going for walks,
    -Getting an espresso in the street somewhere, despite the restaurants and cafés closed, except for take out
    -Working with colleagues on worker's rights things, in can be fun
    - Some online meetings
    - Classes I've been teaching online
    - my new modest living room furniture :especially sofa trundle-bed, and, and flowery divider that I put behind me in all my online meetings now.
    - yuzu kombucha, mixed with store-bought not expensive carrot juice (I know this is very hipster-type, thing but since life is pretty simple - almost no seeing friends, students, colleagues, no travel, no eating out, no sitting in café, no exhibitions, it's a little luxury, I buy by the quart and mix--we need to find our little pleasures where we can
    - feeling after being on recumbent sometimes (more upbeat energy)
    - quiet (sometimes I enjoy it)
    - when I sleep well without trouble

• bananasandoranges
    i find i can no longer edit posts on SAFARI but can on CHROME. Anyone have similar or differing experience ? (ability to edit mfp posts on chrome)?
  • bananasandoranges
    edited January 2021
    A GOOD FUNNY FRENCH SERIES ON NETFLIX @cityjaneLondon @Machka9 and other francofiles I watched the netflix series "Call my agent" (in french the title is "10 pour cent") some say its the best french series. i agree with what one critic a said. it really captures some different types of french personalities. it takes place in cutthroat movie agent business, and is full of humor, but also touching and seems really real in some ways. One nice bonuses is that very real famous actors play themselves. Many of the most famous actors play, one in each episode.(isabelle adjani, juliette binoche, jean reno, jean du jardin, and also sigourney weaver), often with them parodying themselves in a sort of self-depreciating play of themselves. this mix of reality with fiction catches the viewer. i'm watching the 4 seasons again.
  • LisaInArkansas
    LisaInArkansas Posts: 2,286 Member
    @LisainAr I' am so sorry for the health stuff you are dealing with (((hugs))) You might feel something later about your brother (that is common), or you might not. You are not defective. You are genuine.

Thank you, Julie - what a lovely way to put that.

Thank you, Barbara AHMOD. Today is indeed a better day. Part of the reason for yesterday's angst was just the fact that there were two appointments. I've learned that meetings and appointments simply wreck my day. There's never enough time before them to accomplish anything, and I'm too tired or wired afterward to accomplish anything then, either--so I feel as if an entire day is shot to smithereens. I am becoming a cranky old bat, I'm thinking. My grandmother is up in heaven laughing herself silly. She was the OOB - Original Old Bat.
    :smiley:

Heather and all who reached out with support and love--thank you from the bottom of my heart.

Yawning like mad, put in a few hours on writing--one was 1,000 words on the January birthstone of garnet, and one was on the history of sideboards. Dabbler's delight.

Later, y'all,
    Love,
    Lisa
  • bananasandoranges
    edited January 2021
  • bananasandoranges
    still a zombie. less so than yesterday. I had an online meeting this morning. my thesis director was mixed. 1st she was nice but then a bit cutting to me. If I give too much feedback she doesn't like it. I saw that at one point she was being cutting and I had to say nothing otherwise she would cut me off. she was feeling threatened. I didn't push and was non-confrontational. she can get on her high horse and then there's no winning. she's quite old school in some ways.

went for a walk after that but little else.

it's so easy to say, I'm just gonna lay in today, when curfew is at 6pm and it's already 4:30...on a Saturday...
  • dlfk202000
    dlfk202000 Posts: 2,896 Member
    Saturday is reading the.newspaper day. :D I don't write on Saturdays.
    Had one of those nights when I wasn't awake, but not deeply asleep either. It's like my brain is stuck in a groove and just keeps on and on repeating itself. Not refreshing at all. Last night it was some nonsense about vaccination that made no sense at all.
    Machka - I don't know if gluteal tendonopathy matches your symptoms. That's what I had but it's beginning to improve. If it hurts a lot when you stand on one leg and is worse in the morning , then that's it. Extremely painful and annoying. It usually doesn't affect function though. YouTube has some good videos.
    Love to all. Glad the night is over and I can make DH a cup of tea.
    Heather UK xxxxxx

Sorry you are not getting some real good sleep.
    I use this to help me sleep- calms your mind so you can rest but doesn't leave you groggy the next morning like melatonin does.
    https://www.swansonvitamins.com/hylands-biochemic-phosphates-1000-tabs

We love all the Hylands brand products- started using their stuff 23yrs ago almost- teething tablets for son.
    Husband uses their sinus meds and a few others.
    They are available other places but I found that when I ordered my last bottle this place had the best price

Debbie
    Napa Valley,CA
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    B)
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,431 Member
    Stats for the day-

Zwift bike trainer- 26.21min, 138elev, 136ahr, 159mhr, 10.07mi= 269c
    Strava app = 249c
    Walk w/family- 1hr 59min, 40sec, 86ahr, 109mhr, 7.11mi= 732c
    Strava app = 861c

Total cal 1001
  • kymarai
    kymarai Posts: 3,577 Member
    Lisa I agree with Julie. You are genuine! I understand your feeling about the day being shot if have two appointments. Sometimes just one gets me out of sync for the day!

So my husband bought me an off brand instant type pot a few years ago. Used once, not good experience, tried second time wouldn't work. So last November (2019) I actually bought the instant pot brand. You guessed it....I hadn't used it yet! I currently have beef (venison) vegetable soup cooking in it. Wish me luck cause if it doesn't turn out we are having breakfast for dinner again tonight.😉

Miracles do happen......my SIL was at work today! She hasn't worked a single Saturday since November. She kept getting on "my" computer to do things and it just threw me off all day.😡The stuff she was doing was stuff she could have done on her own, but I think she really wanted me to take over. It didn't happen. I did yell at both her and my husband though. We have a front bell that rings when someone enters. I HAD to go to the bathroom and didn't have time to tell anyone where I was. Now mind you my husband was in the office right next to the bathroom so he had to have heard the door close. I heard the bell go off and people walking but nobody answered them. They even yelled and set off the bell multiple times! My husband didn't move to find out what the commotion was nor did SIL come back up front to see what was going on! I yelled at both of them after taking care of customers. Thank goodness they didn't steal anything! Her response...I was in the back. Really? I can hear the bell back there. Husband's response, you should have told someone you were going to the bathroom. Really? Oh, I was PISSED! He tells me to drink more water, but it is annoying to have to find someone just so I can go pee. Sorry for the vent.

We cancelled our dinner for tonight because of potential bad weather, hence the instant pot experiment. It still isn't doing anything as of yet. When we use to plow snow, it never failed that we would have to leave half eaten meals to get out in trucks. Really didn't want to be out on roads with other drivers. My husband trusts me, but not others. So home we are. I will let you know how my soup turns out. We are having it with grilled cheese sandwiches or maybe cheese quesadillas.

🤗
    Kylia in Ohio waiting for the snow in my sweats