Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

Bulletproof coffee guy says 'eat some carbs'

Replies

• heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    watts6151 wrote: »
    Bulletproof coffee = how to ruin a perfectly good cup of coffee and give yourself the *kitten*

Well, I was about to be curious enough to try it, since I don't have a good appreciation for good coffee anyway.

But the followup there - ehhh, maybe not then.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 31,717 Member
    heybales wrote: »
    Bulletproof coffee = how to ruin a perfectly good cup of coffee and give yourself the *kitten*

Well, I was about to be curious enough to try it, since I don't have a good appreciation for good coffee anyway.

I tried it, once, at a specialty coffee shop, where they did fancy versions with flavors and nutritional add-ons in addition to the fats. (Can't recall the details, but I think at least some of it was coconut oil.)

I didn't experience that . . . aftermath.

It tasted better, and had a nicer mouthfeel, than I'd even remotely expected. I expected it to be yucky, frankly. It didn't make me a convert - still seems like a waste of calories, as a general thing - but it was fun to try.

No noticeable after-effects at all. It was just peculiar coffee that tasted decent. 🤷‍♀️
  • Nony_Mouse
    Nony_Mouse Posts: 5,646 Member
    AnnPT77 wrote: »

I tried it, once, at a specialty coffee shop, where they did fancy versions with flavors and nutritional add-ons in addition to the fats. (Can't recall the details, but I think at least some of it was coconut oil.)

It tasted better, and had a nicer mouthfeel, than I'd even remotely expected. I expected it to be yucky, frankly. It didn't make me a convert - still seems like a waste of calories, as a general thing - but it was fun to try.

No noticeable after-effects at all. It was just peculiar coffee that tasted decent. 🤷‍♀️

MCT oil, uh, 'effects' are definitely dose dependant. You were lucky!
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member

Specialty coffee shop - now those words kick in my avoidance due to cheapness. I mean, being thrifty.
    Well, ok, maybe once, but ya that calorie load for just fat. Need to be a day I know absolutely I'm getting a workout in or makeup will happen next day.
  • watts6151
    watts6151 Posts: 887 Member

Hi Ann
    Out of interest did you try it in an empty stomach? I find that caffeine and fats done mix well first thing in the morning
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 31,717 Member

Hi Ann
    Out of interest did you try it in an empty stomach? I find that caffeine and fats done mix well first thing in the morning

I don't remember, to be frank. It was not first thing in the morning, but I can't remember how long since I'd eaten.

Context: I was out on a shopping expedition in a nearby town, with friends I don't usually do shopping stuff with (workout buddies from the Y). We wanted something to eat. I remember that we went to the coffee shop while waiting for a particular store to open, and we went to a little bakery that had food for lunch, but I don't remember which order those were in.

The coffee shop was one that specialized in coffee drinks with coconut oil and such blended in. I'm sure I could've gotten a drink without, but it seemed like a fun experiment. Never occurred to me that it would be a problem.

Even without a gallbladder, I don't seem to have a problem handling high-fat foods, even as part of meal that I eat after not eating for a few hours. I can't think of a time when I've eaten *just* fat after not eating for a while ('cause yuck!), unless the coffee shop was one. (I've eaten, for example, a pub meal that started with beer-battered onion rings with beer, then more pub-type food after, with no issues, as an example.) My routine diet tends toward fairly low fat, just by eating preference not by trying for it, FWIW - I pay attention to the fat macro in order to be sure I'm getting what I think is enough of it.

I'm somewhat caffeine reactive in that way, I think, but it wasn't an unusual caffeine amount for me.

🤷‍♀️