February 2021 Monthly Running Challenge

Replies

• SummerSkier
    SummerSkier Posts: 4,778 Member
    Tramboman wrote: »
    @SummerSkier I was stationed at USMA from 1992-94.

excellent! then you know of the hills and the ski slope. LOL.... That was a bit ahem after my time there so I suspect it was easier for all the cadets then (the corp has...... B)>:) )
  • Tramboman
    Tramboman Posts: 2,482 Member
    Tramboman wrote: »
    @SummerSkier I was stationed at USMA from 1992-94.

excellent! then you know of the hills and the ski slope. LOL.... That was a bit ahem after my time there so I suspect it was easier for all the cadets then (the corp has...... B)>:) )

Well, I certainly chased enough deer up and down those hills!!!
  • ContraryMaryMary
    ContraryMaryMary Posts: 1,644 Member
    Avidkeo wrote: »
    First run of February done! Supposed to be a slow 5k, aiming for 7:30 min/k but I really struggled slowing down today. Managed to slow to 7min/k and am happy with that. Hal didn't yell at me at least!

Now I'm into my month where my first goal is, I'm starting to think about what my next goal should be. I kinda like the idea of keeping form going and aiming for a HM each month, building in some speed work. I have a HM at the end of June that I am going to do - it's an important one for me because its the same half I did 10 years ago that absolutely nailed me. I hadn't trained, I was unprepared. I finished, but only cause I felt like I had no choice. I did it in 3:07:09. I was going to do it last year, but you know that thing got in the way. So this year I'm going to knock the b****** off (famous kiwi saying).

Kinda appropriate that it's 10 years.

I'd like to do a sub 2hr HM - it's a flat course, but can get very windy. My PB is 2:03:00 on a course with a 7k downhill part.

So thinking keep up HM conditioning, try find another HM in April, and then work on speed work, leading into the end of June.

How do you keep HM condition? Run a HM once a month?

Come to Auckland for the Waterfront Half on April 11th. It’s flat. It’s fast. It could be windy!
  • eleanorhawkins
    eleanorhawkins Posts: 1,654 Member
    @Avidkeo that's what I've done... I did the 12 week training up to run a HM at the end of October, then basically had a cutback week and now keep repeating the last 3-4 weeks of the plan. So this month my long runs will be 10k, 17k, 19k, 21k. Months with 5 Saturdays I've done 10, 15, 17, 19, 21. No idea whether I'm tempting fate or looking for trouble, but plenty of stretching, foam rolling, epsom salt baths the evening of long run days and monthly massages seem to be working.
    Btw, I'm in awe of your pace still... 7 min kms are pretty hard work for me! In fact I seem to be getting slower and slower atm, I should probably reduce my mileage and do some speedwork but I don't want to break my monthly HM distance streak (4 so far) and I'm hoping I'll get used to this level and have the energy and legs to do both before too long....
  • TheMrWobbly
    TheMrWobbly Posts: 2,520 Member
    I’m slightly jealous of the marathoners - I refuse to run one unless I have the time to train properly and that’s not likely while I still have young children. Also, how do you guys deal with the boredom that sets in after an hour or so?

There are enough voices in my head to keep me company! You are right about young children - I gave up almost everything when we had our second. That's why it has taken me 30 years from deciding I would run a marathon to actually training for one!
  • quilteryoyo
    quilteryoyo Posts: 5,940 Member
    edited January 2021
    Thanks @polskagirl01 . I'm actually pretty impressed myself. I didn't know what to expect, so am really pleased with how it is going so far!

@SummerSkier Loved reading your story. My "sport" in HS and college was tennis...but at a really low level. I never considered myself athletic. While in the AF, I struggled to meet the minimum running requirements because I didn't like running and only ran about a month before the "test" so I could pass and not die in the process. :lol: It's amazing how much easier and enjoyable it is when you are consistent, don't care about pace, and allow yourself to walk when needed. I do want to run a full marathon at some point, says the person who has never run more than 11 miles! LOL I keep telling people I am going to when I'm 80. I should probably shoot for one before then. I'll just get through this year, try to do a HM and see how it goes, and maybe shoot for a full in 2022. We'll see.

Welcome to the group @Eaglesfanintn ! If you haven't been running for a while, be sure to not start out too fast or too far. You don't want to get injured. Also, from your "name," was wondering if you are from TN. If so, what part? I'm in upper East TN.

@TheMrWobbly You're doing great! Way to hang in there for those HARD miles today!

Nice run @Avidkeo ! You're going to kill your HM!

• Avidkeo
    Avidkeo Posts: 3,190 Member
    Well I am definitely up for a marathon and in week 4 of the plan. The last few miles today were hard! With a capital H, capital A, capital R and capital D... then put it in bold... then make it flash.
    ip0n462f4jr8.jpg
    There was a thought that said if you are going to run 20 miles why not 26. Well erm... heck NO! This was quite enough and I really need to firm up my fuelling as it just isn't working right now.

No specific target for Feb, just try and keep to the plan.

Great work. And good call - 26 miles is a lot longer than 20. You’ll get to run 26 soon enough.

I’m slightly jealous of the marathoners - I refuse to run one unless I have the time to train properly and that’s not likely while I still have young children. Also, how do you guys deal with the boredom that sets in after an hour or so?

Podcasts. I have a few really good ones that I enjoy and have them either of my watch for short runs (10knor less) or on my phone for longer runs. So I don't double up, I have different subscriptions on each lol.

As for the young children, that's why I'm a 530am runner, even on the weekend.

Ohhh tempted by the waterfront half. Have to check my schedule...
  • AlphaHowls
    AlphaHowls Posts: 1,901 Member
    200 minimum miles
    Only 28 days, so will be hard to get 500, but will work towards it
  • AlphaHowls
    AlphaHowls Posts: 1,901 Member
    Not sure what happened in the last hour or so, but I no longer have access (not able to see) challenge hound challenge. It disappeared?
  • Avidkeo
    Avidkeo Posts: 3,190 Member
    AlphaHowls wrote: »
    Not sure what happened in the last hour or so, but I no longer have access (not able to see) challenge hound challenge. It disappeared?

I can still see it, and see you there. I know I have to be careful what link I use, have to log in each time atm