WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR FEBRUARY 2021

Replies

• auntiebk
    auntiebk Posts: 2,482 Member
    "Get to do"s and "chose well"s
    Chose well: take BP, livestream church, fire district c-19 grant reconciliation and agenda response.
    Bonus: Joe took the dogs and me to Crissy Field. Mild despite the rain.
    Get to do: take BP, dogs to powerline, fire district: retrieve voicemails, forward to HD masking number, unlock, grantwork prep for Monday pm, J & Credit union re: credit card, debit card pin, ask for boots donator contact info, appreciation letter or certificate to boots donator, research effective conflict resolution, index mutual aid files; call S, call C, call R, FM Cu, watch STAS Day 20, make experimental almond paste, declutter sideboard, practice new dances (Pure Movies to Wine, Beer, Whiskey, Sleeping with the Devil, I ain’t never gonna love nobody but Cornell Crawford (Alley cat), A Little Less Broken, One Margarita, I’m so used to being broke, All Night, Nothing but You, Blame it on my beating heart, Homesick); finish mulching flowerbed; broadcast cover crop seed in veg garden areas, invest another 10 minutes in prepping living trust, Freddie’s for complete series TDAP <$48, get Shingrix vaccine, find and configure a screen time popup, figure out where to plant naked lady bulbs, and soon as it warms up above 50 and dries out below 60% humidity I’ll tape and spray paint those rusted areas of Aunt Elsie’s stove. Reconcile Joe’s EOB’s Thrivent shows only 2263.48 so far, next BGBS ask Terry about GB’s FD firetruck tax levy – contacts, media, advocate???, call Wild Rivers (541 247 3514) for dog wash/nail trim appointments.
    Reward: inventory seeds, plan next year’s garden, wishlist replenishments,
    Happier January:
    31: Write down your hopes and plans for the future. I hope to be kinder. I plan to be stronger by doing BB&B and SWSY at home. Two weeks after Joe gets the second vaccine I’ll return to T’ai Chi, Line Dancing and in person church. Something to look forward to.
    Thanks Barbie!

Belated Happy Birthday Sue in WA!
    KJ: Favorite scents: baby puppy milk breath, cloroxed laundry, baking cookies, sauteeing garlic, Christmas trees.
    Kylia :love: the cherry almond scented Jergens, reminds me of the samples the Fuller Brush man used to hand out. Mama always passed them on to me.
    Julie “. . .more high and fast when I'm stressed. . .” ditto.
    Dee safe travels. Know you’ll knock ‘em dead!
    Tracey ((hugs))
    Debbie in Napa Valley would you share a pic of your airfryer? Can you use it for everything for which you used the toaster oven?
    Michele dairy helps cool hot chili. Sour cream, cheese. Boiled potatoes might help too. If you can fish out any of the chili peppers’ seeds or whitestuff that’s where the really hot stuff lies.

January Summary and February Plan
    Summary:
    Yay: average steps, CI <250 CO, log, mfp, dogs, outside, up hill, pack walks, cleaning, grant work, board meetings
    not bad: Sitting with Joe, vits, CICO,
    I can do better: AF, BB&B, SWSY, T'ai Chi, dancing, 21 planning all need improvement.
    Plan:
    Daily: sit next to Joe for at least a little while, weigh/wii, more steps than Jan average, vits, log, CI<CO, CI <250 CO, 5 mins training or grooming Tumble or Shadow, check in mfp, get outside, walk up hill.
    Weekly cleaning 2x half hour, BB&B, TC or SWSY x 3, dance x 2, pack walk x 2, Rx and review 21 plan.
    Monthly: board and council meetings, grant progress.
    Bonus: AF: , play: , sew something: .

Since Feb is a short month measuring today.
    daily: sit with Joe: 94%/97%, steps=average: 5627 vs 5592 step days:61%/68%, vits= 94%/100% log=100%/100% CI<CO= 90%/97% CI<250<CO= 74%68% Tumble 5/10= 87%/87% Shadow 5/10= 90%/87% mfp=100%/100% AF= 58%/61% outside= 90%/65%, up hill=81%/65% cleaning 355%/170%
    wkly: BBBorTC x3= 22% /0%, dance=22%/0% walk with T or Joe and the dogs instead of pack walk x2=67%/100%, rx=80%/100% review progress on 21 goals: bupkes/.
    monthly: board mtg=100%/100% grant= 31
    Jan 31: 141.3 Jan 1: 145.3 Dec 1:143.3 Jan 1 2020: 142.3 down 1 lb since Jan 1 last year. Could the needle finally be moving?
    Waist:42.5 unchanged from Jan 1.

February resolve- maintain or improve January’s most important: Joe, steps, dogs, strength, dancing.
    Daily: sit next to Joe for at least a little while, weigh, more steps than Jan average, vits, log, CI<CO, CI <250 CO, 5 mins training or grooming Tumble or Shadow, check in mfp, get outside, walk up hill.
    Weekly cleaning 2x half hour, BB&B, TC or SWSY x 3, dance x 2, rX and review 21 plan.
    Monthly: board and council meetings, grant progress.

Lighter, lovelies!
    f8qt1s098sxm.gifBarbara, the Southern Oregon Coastie AHMOD
    February: leaner/stronger/kinder than January.
    daily: sit with Joe: 28, weigh/wii: 30/12/44 steps>5592=7591 yesterday 3963 today vits=28 log=30 CI<CO=27 CI<250<CO=23 Tumble 5=25 Shadow 5=26 mfp=29 outside=26 up hill=23
    wkly: BB&B,T’ai Chi or SWSY x3 =2 rx=4 dance=4 clean 60 mins=16.75 packwalk=5, wt=1/3:144.2, 1/10: 142. 1/17: 142.4 1/24: 140!!! 1/31: 141.3
    mnthly: board mtg=1 , grant=3 , 21 plan= bonus: AF=18 play=25 sew=1 waist=42.5
    2021: choose to be leaner/stronger/kinder NOW

• bananasandoranges
    bananasandoranges Posts: 2,410 Member
    Machka9 wrote: »
    one of my goals was not to be online between 1 and 6 am.
    not successful on day 1 of February. wide awake at 2:30. planned to hold out till 4. made it till 3:45.
    meditated. felt quite anxious. work in progress.

Rather than going online, what about reading a novel?

I am rarely online between 1 am and 8 am ... and on weekends it's between 1 am and about noon. If I'm awake in that time, I prefer to do something active (laundry, cleaning the bathroom, playing with Rhody, etc.) or something that does not involve the computer or my phone like reading a novel or just lying still with my eyes closed.

They say that the light from computers, phones and even TVs messes up the melatonin, and so does bright light in general.

So, at about 10:30 pm, I dim all the lights and usually turn the TV off but I'll keep working on my computer. At midnight, my computer screen goes into night light mode where the light goes from a blue-ish colour to a pink-ish colour. The warmer pink colour is supposed to help prepare the brain to release melatonin. Which reminds me, I actually want to move that up to about 11:30 pm.

The article below mentions a survey which quite a large number of Australians participated in ... I was one of those Australians and I was one who said that the lockdown improved my sleep. :) It was fantastic to be on my own schedule! There will be more information about the survey published as they process it all but meanwhile, this early article is an interesting read ...

How your internal body clock affects sleep quality each night
    https://www.theage.com.au/lifestyle/health-and-wellness/how-your-internal-body-clock-affects-sleep-quality-each-night-20201120-p56gdq.html

M in Oz

for comfy reading, I actually need to get progressive glasses. I can still read but it's less comfortable. I am one of the sizeable minority who got nearsighted first at around 40 (or in 40s) rather than farsighted. That somehow canceled out need for reading glasses for a good decade but now I need them.here they have 1h glasses place w really cheap glasses, but not for progressives. with the pandemic and semester I've been slow to get things done. plus I was torn between going to the local place nearby with 1 year guarantee and less extras and the chain place with 2-year guarantee with more extras. I should probably double check now that I have improved complementary health insurance coverage as of this month.

I thought of getting up do do something but was not highly motivated. running water is iffy cause it's a building where neighbours will hear water running, so it's not too kind at 2:30. laundry is a no-no, and I'm pretty sure doing laundry in middle of night (due to the noise) is not allowed in the middle of the night. (too many decibels going to neighbouring apartment I think). I did think of the recumbant but I think it makes a soft whir, and would probably really wake me up.

I totally agree with all you wrote. I'm finding it challenging, but I can keep working on it.
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,811 Member
    I was nearsighted from the time I was about 10 years old. As I have gotten older, my eyesight has actually improved ... sort of.

I can now read without my glasses and hold the book about a foot away from my face rather than right up close. In fact, it's easier to read without my glasses.

I got progressives two or three years ago ... two sets. One gives me distance down to about arm's length away, the other pair are desk glasses and they give me about arm's length away to fairly close. I wear the first pair for cycling and driving and the second pair most of the rest of the time.

M in Oz
  • TerriRichardson112
    TerriRichardson112 Posts: 18,034 Member
    Barbie: Thanks once again for setting up the February thread.
  • TerriRichardson112
    @barbiecat Thanks for setting up the February thread.
    Penny: I use walking videos when I can't get outside. Mind you, I don't have to deal with the kind of weather that you have in the far north. We had one day of snow which quickly disappeared.

Life has achieved a kind of equilibrium for now. I am taking joy in simple pleasures, counting my blessing, and continuing with positive steps to optimise health and fitness.

Daily Aims for 2021: Jan Update - I weigh less at the end of January than I did at the beginning, so I am happy with progress. Concentrating on maintaining, so keeping these aims for now.
    • Pre-log every lick, sip and bite
    • Stay under goal
    • Balance macros/micros
    • Hydrate adequately
    • Choose healthy snacks
    • 7500+ Steps
    • Intentional exercise > 50 minutes
    • Practice self-care
    • Stay up to date with accounts
    • Mindfulness Practice/meditation
    • Learn something new
    2019 Goal Weight: < 155 achieved
    2020 Goal Weight: < 150 ✅ Achieved in Feb 2020. Maintained since then.
    2021 Goal weight: < 145
    1 Feb: 144.2

☘️ Terri
  • TerriRichardson112
    edited February 2021
    February Alphabet Challenge:

1. Aerobic Dance video: https://youtu.be/yN3GgCUmmXw
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    I am awake at 2am listening to the rain. It is nice to be snug and warm inside.🌨☔️🌨☔️
  • LisaInArkansas
    LisaInArkansas Posts: 2,353 Member
    Morning, afternoon and evening, my friends, and thank you, Barbie, for centering us once more into our own process and progress. I depend on it, and read daily, whether I post or not.

My goals for January were to be lighter, be healthier, and stick to a budget. The first two were a bust. I'm a pound heavier and in the middle of round 4 of antibiotics for the SIBO. Did keep us to budget, however.

My goals for February are to be lighter, be healthier and stick to a budget. Surprise!
    :smiley:

My words for the year are "still" and "no," and can be used together or separately. "Still" is passive, to me:
    • noun: quiet, peace
    • adjective: undisturbed, calm, tranquil
    • verb: quieten, moderate, compose
    • adverb/conjunction: nevertheless

"No," on the other hand is an active negation. No, I will not have that next bite of cake. No, I will not let you take advantage of me. (Not y'all, by the way, but other people.) No, I will not let another person tell me how I feel. My choice, my construction.

Ahh... The man is about to head for his workday, and I can start mine, playing with my Instant Pot to make yogurt this morning. When I try any recipe, I make it to the instructions first, then start playing with it.

Happy February,
    Love y'all,
    Lisa in AR
  • Peach1948
    Peach1948 Posts: 2,473 Member
    HAPPY FEBRUARY! Wishing all a safe, productive, and happy month! :)

Kylia
    I love the photo of you and your granddaughter! So many have commented that you can't see a person's facial expression while wearing the mask, but, I can see smiles in both of your eyes.

Carol in Georgia
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,811 Member
    My words for the year are "still" and "no," and can be used together or separately. "Still" is passive, to me:
    • noun: quiet, peace
    • adjective: undisturbed, calm, tranquil
    • verb: quieten, moderate, compose
    • adverb/conjunction: nevertheless

Happy February,
    Love y'all,
    Lisa in AR

That's interesting. When I read "still" I thought of something else. I think of it as "continuing". We're still dealing with my husband's injury. We're continuing to deal with my husband's injury. I'm still cycling even though it's been 30 years ... I'm continuing to cycle even though it's been 30 years.

So I guess it could also be used in the sense of developing good habits. I'm still exercising most days ... even when I don't entirely feel like it! I'm continuing to exercise!

M in Oz
  • MKSalama
    MKSalama Posts: 2 Member
    Hi Every one

I did a magnificent achievement by using this app, i lost 37 KG (from 124 to 87) within 4 Months,

I am now still using the app to balance my weight. if any one wants to know further don't hesitate to chat with me or send friend request
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,189 Member
    Michele- If you measure the circumference of your sweet potato, you can use these timings.

jkq0myuhj3qa.jpg

Yes, just buy a small tub of yoghurt for your chilli. :D

I just Google things I want to know for the IP. I don't have the book myself, but you can 'Look Inside' on Amazon. I decided I knew most of it.
    I have a long IP bookmark list from when I did all my research in the early months. That's where the sweet potato came from. Some very hard working and intelligent people have researched almost everything.

Taking a day off from writing and have had a short nap. Just a mild jab reaction. I managed to get through my exercises. Having haggis leftovers tonight so I need the calorie burn.

Love Heather UK xxxxxxxx
  • kymarai
    kymarai Posts: 3,600 Member
    <3
  • kymarai
    It was hard convincing myself to ho out in the snow to get in the hot tub, but I did it! I love morning in it as I stay warm for awhile. Might have to try for early evening.....can't be too late or too hot to sleep.
    Stayed up until 2 am finishing a book. It is going to be a long day!

🤪
    Kylia in Ohio
  • KJLaMore
    KJLaMore Posts: 2,827 Member
    Thanks Barbie- for bringing us into February!
    My word for 2021 is ME. My calendar for 2021 just arrived in the mail yesterday; so as I transfer information from one calendar to the next, I will be sure to remember to schedule some me time.
    I am starting February back at my Christmas weight of 250. *sigh* I will be ending February under that! And I mean it!
  • KJLaMore
    KJLaMore Posts: 2,827 Member
    Michele- Freeze your chili as is; and like the others suggest, add the yogurt as you pull and re heat portions. Unless you want to double the recipe, dairy is the best way to calm down the heat.
  • kymarai
    Michele- If you chose to freeze the chili know that it will be hotter when you take it out. I remember the year my mom made chili so hot we couldn't even begin to eat it. We all got hiccups and tears. She decided to freeze it. It was hotter when she took it out. She ended up using it as starter for a giant batch with no extra seasoning😂 I agree with the others though, dairy helps cool it down.
  • bananasandoranges
    Machka9 wrote: »
    I was nearsighted from the time I was about 10 years old. As I have gotten older, my eyesight has actually improved ... sort of.

I can now read without my glasses and hold the book about a foot away from my face rather than right up close. In fact, it's easier to read without my glasses.

I got progressives two or three years ago ... two sets. One gives me distance down to about arm's length away, the other pair are desk glasses and they give me about arm's length away to fairly close. I wear the first pair for cycling and driving and the second pair most of the rest of the time.

M in Oz

I have no experience in progressives or reading glasses. I was thinking different pairs might be helpful for different things; I was thinking reading only might possibly be more comfortable for screen time at home, with no-one around.
  • bananasandoranges
    actually I think you can get cheap (and possibly ugly) reading glasses at the pharmacy. I think my correction is about 0.5 for reading. possible to do without but a little bit tiring maybe.
    actually it's getting darned hard to read tiny food labels; I can get it just barely most of the time.