January 2021 Monthly Running Challenge

1353637383941»

Replies

• Avidkeo
    Avidkeo Posts: 3,190 Member
    swenson19d wrote: »
    Avidkeo wrote: »
    Re shewee or other female urinal devices
    They are an excellent idea - in theory. In practice the act of trying to pee while standing is incredibly difficult. I do urodynamics at work every month or so which we do ask women to pee while standing while taking xray images of them, and very few women can do it. We just aren't used to it. Realistically you need to squat a little to let the pelvic floor relax enough. Not to say it can't be done, it just requires practice and a bit of meditation.

or fart right? cuz that's the way guys do it. :) Just popping in to stalk @shanaber a bit and see if she mentioned that book she's listening to, because I am procrastinating on everything else today. @Avidkeo Honestly, I pee in the shower just fine, no squatting required. Yes I know- I'm told that is a disgusting thing to do but honestly it's the rear germs that I think are worrisome, on soap, on the shampoo bottle, under my feet... I gotta go and am not getting back out to pp a tiny bit. Ya'll feel free to convince me otherwise, I'm open to being corrected.

Lol yeah true, I pee in the shower too. No shame haha. But that's with running water, and something I've always done. Pelvic floor muscles are notoriously shy (per the urology dr) and put them in a situation they aren't familiar with, and the clamp tight.
  • polskagirl01
    polskagirl01 Posts: 2,010 Member
    They are an excellent idea - in theory. In practice the act of trying to pee while standing is incredibly difficult. I do urodynamics at work every month or so which we do ask women to pee while standing while taking xray images of them, and very few women can do it. We just aren't used to it. Realistically you need to squat a little to let the pelvic floor relax enough. Not to say it can't be done, it just requires practice and a bit of meditation.

or fart right? cuz that's the way guys do it. :) Just popping in to stalk @shanaber a bit and see if she mentioned that book she's listening to, because I am procrastinating on everything else today. @Avidkeo Honestly, I pee in the shower just fine, no squatting required. Yes I know- I'm told that is a disgusting thing to do but honestly it's the rear germs that I think are worrisome, on soap, on the shampoo bottle, under my feet... I gotta go and am not getting back out to pp a tiny bit. Ya'll feel free to convince me otherwise, I'm open to being corrected.

Lol yeah true, I pee in the shower too. No shame haha. But that's with running water, and something I've always done. Pelvic floor muscles are notoriously shy (per the urology dr) and put them in a situation they aren't familiar with, and the clamp tight.

Has this urology doctor ever accidentally peed herself/himself while out running? No squatting necessary. I'm wondering whether someone who needs the device really has shy muscles. 😆
  • eleanorhawkins
    eleanorhawkins Posts: 1,650 Member

Has this urology doctor ever accidentally peed herself/himself while out running? No squatting necessary. I'm wondering whether someone who needs the device really has shy muscles. 😆

Accidentally... well I must admit I've had to start using a just in case pad recently for long runs. For some reason I can hold it in while running but as soon as I finish and slow to a walk I'm in trouble.
    I have never ever been able to pee outside. The thought that someone might see me makes it impossible, no matter how desperate I am. So I thought maybe one of those devices would mean I could stand against a tree with my back to the world or something. Probably still wouldn't be able to. I'll probably end up having to run in nappies lol
  • TheMrWobbly
    TheMrWobbly Posts: 2,509 Member
    Needing the loo mid-run is my biggest fear. I always do a loop near to where I live for the first 3/4 mile as it seems to... force the issue!
  • Teresa502
    Teresa502 Posts: 1,685 Member
    January Goal – 100 miles
    1/1 – 3.1 (New Year’s Wake Up and Run 5k)
    1/2 – 10.07
    1/3 – rest + yoga
    1/4 – 5.12
    1/5 – weights
    1/6 – 5.35
    1/7 – exercise bike (12 miles)
    1/8 – weights
    1/9 – 10.03 miles
    1/10 – exercise bike (16 miles) + yoga
    1/11 – 5.11 miles
    1/12 – weights
    1/13 – exercise bike (11 miles)
    1/14 – 5.11 miles
    1/15 – 5.19 miles
    1/16 – 10.01 miles
    1/17 – 6.21 miles + exercise bike (13 miles)
    1/18 – 5.18 miles + weights
    1/19 – yoga + exercise bike (9 miles)
    1/20 – 5.03 miles + weights
    1/21 – 3.1 miles + exercise bike (8 miles)
    1/22 – rest
    1/23 – 13.39 miles
    1/24 – 5.01 miles
    1/25 – weights + exercise bike (8 miles)
    1/26 – 5.03 miles
    1/27 – 5.17 miles
    1/28 – weights + exercise bike (11.25 miles)
    1/29 – 5.13 miles
    1/30 – 10.03 miles
    1/31 – 4.13 miles
    Total – 126.5 miles

And that’s a wrap for January. I set my goal on the low side since it was January, but my Desert Storm Challenge motivated me to run on days that I may have otherwise ditched due to the cold.

Oh wow @HonuNui! How neat those dolphins are – the fish too!

@quilteryoyo – Our snow hit about 7:30 last night. We only got about an inch or so and it was a very wet snow. The rain today has washed most of it away.

Congratulations to everyone for meeting goals, healing and tackling life head on!

Upcoming Races/Challenges:
    CRAW (Circumpolar Race Around the World) – in progress
    Run the World Challenge – in progress
    Desert Storm 218 Miler Challenge (Jan 17 – Feb 28) – in progress
    Peyton’s Wild n Wacky 50k (March 13) - training
    Cooper River 10k (Sept 25)
    Marine Corps Marathon (Oct 31) – virtual again????
    Cade’s Cove Loop Lope (Nov 14)

• quilteryoyo
    quilteryoyo Posts: 5,885 Member
    @Scott6255 Congrats on your Jan mileage PR! That's fantastic! You did great getting in 10 miles in those conditions!

@AlphaHowls You're running distances never cease to amaze me. Here's hoping that Feb will be less eventful.

That is so cool @HonuNui !

• rheddmobile
    rheddmobile Posts: 6,840 Member
    Easy 5k - usually today would be speedwork but we plan on running the Winter off-road 5k course at race pace on Tuesday, so that is going to count for this week’s speedwork.

It was 42 degrees but a very chilly 42! Damp with a high wind. Not too bad while running but we cut our walk afterwards to the minimum. We usually pass several runners and walkers, and today we only passed one guy, running, wearing shorts and a t-shirt. He looked like he was running for his life trying to stay warm!

That’s it for me for January, I think I did 102 miles? Running plus walking. That’s about 20 miles less than I have been doing, since I stopped running while my husband shopped because it’s too dangerous to shop now. Instead of getting out and running something on that day, I added an extra lifting day, since it’s winter and one less running day per week means we can move runs around when the weather is bad.

All in all a productive month, did well on the first two races of my homegrown series, and got in practice for the next race. Looking forward to February!
  • noblsheep
    noblsheep Posts: 584 Member
    HonuNui wrote: »
    Met my goal of running the "A's," by also finishing the "B's." On to the "C's." (and D's....)

Hanging out in the C's, really curious where you'll end up running in my country :p
  • Avidkeo
    Avidkeo Posts: 3,190 Member
    noblsheep wrote: »
    HonuNui wrote: »
    Met my goal of running the "A's," by also finishing the "B's." On to the "C's." (and D's....)

Hanging out in the C's, really curious where you'll end up running in my country :p

I'm hanging out for what she chooses in New Zealand. Only 6 months before we get there...
  • quilteryoyo
    quilteryoyo Posts: 5,885 Member
    @kgirlhart Great run. Love your running buddy. I hope he stays safe. Great job exceeding your goal for the month!

@rheddmobile Great month. I feel for the guy in shorts. I've had those days you think it is warm based on the thermometer, but you freeze and question you sanity after you get out.

@mbaker566 That snow is beautiful, but looks so cold. Glad Sophie likes to run. Maybe that will keep her out of trouble...a tired dog is a good dog, you know.
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    @quilteryoyo it worked for about 20 min. then she had zoomies in the backyard
  • angmarie28
    angmarie28 Posts: 2,778 Member
    1/1-2
    1/2-6
    1/3-4.25
    1/4-2
    1/5-2.25
    1/6-2.5
    1/7-2
    1/8-3
    1/9-3.5
    1/10-3.25