NEW TO FITNESS i need help lol

hii, i'm 19 years old and i'm new to fitness and all i don't really know where to start lol. i need to loose weight not only for my health but for myself as well and i just don't really know how?

Replies

• jennacole12
    jennacole12 Posts: 1,167 Member
    My first tip would be to track everything you eat on this app. Once you know about what you’re eating you can slowly start cutting calories. I wouldn’t suggest going to hard with exercise right up front, the key for me was making subtle lifestyle changes over time. Maybe increase steps then combine that with the tracking to start..... give it a few weeks and see where you are at!!
  • markwalker1973
    markwalker1973 Posts: 145 Member
    Might be worth having a few sessions with a pt at your local gym.
  • sugaraddict4321
    sugaraddict4321 Posts: 15,690 MFP Moderator
    Welcome to the MFP Community. :)

Since you're not sure where to start, take a look at this thread:
    https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10300331/most-helpful-posts-getting-started-must-reads#latest

It has links to our most helpful posts, as voted by members of our community. There's a lot of info in there but it's a great place to start educating yourself on how to use MFP and how to set realistic expectations.

What are your fitness and weight loss goals? Even if you're not sure where to start, it's a good idea to have a goal to strive towards.
  • Escapetoparadise
    Escapetoparadise Posts: 35 Member
    Rule 1
    Belive yourself ; make your mind ready to lose weight ( if your mind is not ready you wont be ready)

Rule2
    If anyone can do lose weight; you can do it too

Rule 3
    Never give up ( dont let anyone destroy your motivation

First of all would recommend purchase a treadmill if you can ( start walking as quick as you can and then maybe couple months later when you feel ready start running This must be your daily routine )

Healthy food ( greens 🥬, fruits 🍉, and depends on your health situation pick the right one of course ( some fruits contain less sugar some contain high )

And last one Keep 🏃‍♀️ running
    Target yourself to your Goal

Yse your scale once a month let your clothes are tell your process results

Always here to help Dont hesisate to add me

DONT FORGET WHAT EVER YOU WANNA DO , You are gonna do it for yourself so please don’t cheat... even when you feel really down always remember your promises and nice Happy days

If this helps you please don’t hesitate to share with others

Kind Regards
    Arif
  • snowflake954
    snowflake954 Posts: 8,400 Member
    Yes please read the stickies--lots of great information. To lose weight you need a calorie deficit. Get a digital food scale and start weighing and measuring all your food and drink. This gives you an idea of how many calories are in certain foods. Some need to be budgeted, others you can eat lots of. MFP will give you a daily calorie goal. Try to stay within that everyday.

As for exercise, it's important for so many things and I'd encourage it. Pick something you like doing. Some people start out just walking (doesn't cost anything), and you can change up the pace or difficulty. Others like a group effort and sign up for classes. You will get a few more calories to eat everyday if you exercise, however that calorie deficit is most important.

Just start, and re-evaluate after a month or so. Weight loss needs changes as you move along. Do something as long as it works and then be prepared to try something new. Take measurements and keep a weekly log. When the scale doesn't move take it out and you can see progress. Read the success threads for a pick-me-up when you need it. Good luck.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    What does fitness mean to you?
    To run? Lift heavy things? Play sport?

At your age I'd say "try everything" - finding the one (of more) thing that you enjoy and inspires you long term makes exercise a pleasure and not a chore. I started cycling in the 60's and lifting in the 70's and still really enjoy both.
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,443 Member
    sijomial wrote: »
    What does fitness mean to you?
    To run? Lift heavy things? Play sport?

At your age I'd say "try everything" - finding the one (of more) thing that you enjoy and inspires you long term makes exercise a pleasure and not a chore. I started cycling in the 60's and lifting in the 70's and still really enjoy both.

This. What fitness equipment do you have access to, OP?