How long did it take your brain to catch up with your new body size?

I know when people lose weight, especially if it’s quickly or if it is a large amount of weight, the mind can take a while to catch up and perceive the body as it’s new size, either just general bodily awareness or perception in the mirror

I have been maintaining for a few months now, went up a bit over Christmas and back down now to maintenance, but my perception/awareness of my body when I’m moving, laying, sitting is still that of my larger size! In the mirror I sometimes can see I’m a healthy size, but it takes me by surprise when I do because my mind sees me as larger!

I thought my brain would’ve caught up by now!

How long did it take for your brain to catch up and perceive your body as it’s new size?

Replies

• ExpressoLove11
    ExpressoLove11 Posts: 337 Member
    Congrats on reaching maintenance! That's awesome and I hope you are proud of yourself 😊

I have been in maintenance and have been recomping since October 2019 and still feel surprised when I look in the mirror. So to answer your question - who knows lol
  • _L_A_
    _L_A_ Posts: 170 Member
    Thanks everyone for your experiences and stories!

Nice to know I’m not a weirdo and this seems very normal! But less nice to know it may never go away!

Fingers crossed my brain does adapt!
  • Luke_rabbit
    Luke_rabbit Posts: 1,031 Member
    I'll let you know if it ever happens!

Plus be prepared for some other people to never adjust. Some will always remember you as large and will comment every single time they see you, even after 15 years (this happens to my spouse).
  • richardgavel
    richardgavel Posts: 1,001 Member
    It helped me that I still had all my old dress shirts from when I was at my ideal weight. I kinda use one as a tangible gauge of where I'm at.
  • charmmeth
    charmmeth Posts: 936 Member
    edited February 2021
    I had the opposite problem for a long time: I was slim (and at times painfuly thin) from childhood all the way through to my early 30s, and then put on quite a lot of weight quite fast. (Family pattern, it happened to my mother and to her father too...) It took me years to see that I was now overweight. I was buying larger clothes, but still thought of myself as slim and looked in the mirror and didn't see an overweight person. It wasn't until the scale hit the 89kg mark (ca. 200lbs), which took me from overweight to obese, and I saw some photos of myself from the side that I finally took in the fact that I was no longer tall and slim but tall and decidedly Reubenesque. Now I'm back into being comfortably in normal bmi (though a good few kgs heavier than at my lowest weight: it was too low and I have no aspiration to hit it). I look at my belt and can see that I am doing it up six holes smaller than I was five years ago, and can't believe I didn't notice how big I'd got!
  • SModa61
    SModa61 Posts: 2,847 Member
    I will add that I don't think this is only a weight loss issue (at least for me). As I was gaining weight and seeing the number on the scale, I don't think I acknowledged it in the mirror until the weight got to my high. Same issue, on the way back down. At least now, it is a pleasant surprise that I am slimmer than I think.
  • MadisonMolly2017
    MadisonMolly2017 Posts: 10,953 Member
    My comments tie in different ways to many of those posted above.

I WAS overweight & obese since puberty, approx 45 years, began changing that 5 years ago- lost ~75 lbs. BTW my highest ever weight was 10 lbs more than that (beginning of next level of obese & the only time I felt really fat, didn’t like it, lost it after a year)

One of the things that made it difficult to lose weight was I had/have a normal body image. However, I had confidence etc. so I guess that was good.

However, when I looked at photos when I was heavy, I’d think “That’s not me!” And I hated clothes shopping as then I had to face the reality in those mirrors & clothes sizes...ditto bathing suits

So, I do feel normal wt now, as always, but when I look at photos or go clothes shopping, I Realize that I’m actually slim. And that I look unrecognizable from my higher weight.

I joke to my husband that it’s like being a spy, infiltrating known groups incognito. I make light of it, but I wasn’t so happy with this initially.

And yes clothes that fit are minuscule & ive had to train myself to think small/medium.
    Especially with shift in clothes sizing over the past decades!!!

Lately I’ve been using the statistic that 78% of Americans are overweight or obese to fully grasp what I’ve done for my health. BMI=23.2 to 23.5
    From the 34’s
  • jennacole12
    jennacole12 Posts: 1,167 Member
    I’m about 3 years post weight loss and I still always order Mediums and Larges, I wear an XS 🤦🏼‍♀️ Idk why I doubt it every order.