Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

To Keto or Not To Keto?

Replies

• watts6151
    watts6151 Posts: 887 Member
    ninerbuff wrote: »
    psuLemon wrote: »
    watts6151 wrote: »
    If keto helps for medical issues or dietary adherence then that's great

Again I'm not one for vertually eliminating a whole food group
    Also from a physique perspective your look terrible if remotely lean

You certainly look flat on keto. But you can always run CKD to help address that. Or a program like UD2.

From a personal standard point CKD is no where near enough carbs to make me look remotely good

Keto
    tilj5w3skfih.jpeg

Carb binge and over spilled 48 hours later
    zwpauxa23wpd.jpeg

Don't disagree. I somehow don't think most people are gonna have your physique.
    Funny. When I used to compete back in the day (80's) we had no access to multiple OPINIONS on carb depletion, carb loading before contests. There were a couple I did where I looked completely flat and then 2 days after the mandatory after contest binge (for me it was pizza and ice cream) I looked way better and of course felt way better.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

Totally agree that super deletion and carb loading is definitely relevant in peak week.
    I just woke up one morning looked in the mirror and thought *kitten* it, full uncontrollable
    Carb binge, hence the over spill
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,482 Member

You certainly look flat on keto. But you can always run CKD to help address that. Or a program like UD2.

From a personal standard point CKD is no where near enough carbs to make me look remotely good

Keto
    tilj5w3skfih.jpeg

zwpauxa23wpd.jpeg

Funny. When I used to compete back in the day (80's) we had no access to multiple OPINIONS on carb depletion, carb loading before contests. There were a couple I did where I looked completely flat and then 2 days after the mandatory after contest binge (for me it was pizza and ice cream) I looked way better and of course felt way better.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

Totally agree that super deletion and carb loading is definitely relevant in peak week.
    I just woke up one morning looked in the mirror and thought *kitten* it, full uncontrollable
    It's so amazing how the body works. I've watched many a contest where a contestant can look "watery" but get harder as the posing callouts continue in a hour. Also how one day can be night and day in their appearance. The chemical reaction in the body based on intake and balance of water is so delicate when it comes to peak or not.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,386 MFP Moderator

Keto
    tilj5w3skfih.jpeg

zwpauxa23wpd.jpeg

Just pointing out the difference carbs can make to to a physique.
    Personally I look like crap in both pictures, from my point of view obviously

I disagree with you looking like crap, 😆. Both are impressive. And yea, i most bodybuilders I know that use Keto will carb load a few days out.
  • watts6151
    watts6151 Posts: 887 Member
    edited February 2021

Keto
    tilj5w3skfih.jpeg

zwpauxa23wpd.jpeg

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

It's so amazing how the body works. I've watched many a contest where a contestant can look "watery" but get harder as the posing callouts continue in a hour. Also how one day can be night and day in their appearance. The chemical reaction in the body based on intake and balance of water is so delicate when it comes to peak or not.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

Definitely agree, I don't tend to post too much on here as prep seems to be very niche
    And debating the minusha isn't popular

Respect and appreciate both @psulemon and @ninerbuff opinions on here
    As you both have practical experience
  • maria4560h
    maria4560h Posts: 41 Member
    I’ve thought I was doing the Keto diet well enough to finally test if I’m in ketosis to find out no I wasn’t. I’m not doing the intermittent fasting but I do know that my prediabetes is gone for being on a Low Carb High Fat diet in general. Maybe my protein is too high or I should stop a “fiber only” according to nutrition label carb. So I’m tracking even closer and adding more fat straight from the bottles. As well as cut out my fiber one original that has 37g fiber and 0g sugar according to nutrition label however if you read the ingredients there clearly is sugar in it. I’ll have to give it to a friend instead. Fruit you can eat fruit. Berries and avocados. You can eat nuts and seeds. Several vegetables. Cauliflower can make your “bread and potatoes” spaghetti squash can make your “pasta” it’s nowhere near as hard as you think. And some people have used it to gain weight. The term diet in reality means what you eat. Nothing more. It’s just not what people see it as meaning. Diet fad would be a better way to put what people see the word diet to truly mean.
  • GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,160 Member
    https://www.sciencemag.org/news/2021/02/nih-boosts-precision-nutrition-research-quest-individualized-diets

Hopefully when this study data is made public it will help with our understanding.
  • gigius72
    gigius72 Posts: 183 Member
    edited February 2021
    Preference by the user. However I've NOT YET met a person personally who lost weight on keto and kept it off after going back to trying to eat normal foods again. Initially it's almost impossible because as soon as carbs are reintroduced to the body, weight will shoot up a few pounds because of water and glycogen retention. And this can freak them out where they either jump back on keto immediately, or get depressed at the weight gain and give in and overeat again.
    ANY DIET PROGRAM should be a total lifestyle change they INTEND TO KEEP DOING. Not just to lose weight. It's why there are so many out there that lose and regain.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

That is mainly for 2 reasons:
    1 if you are one of those who have genes related to diabetes, while on keto you are creating a big insuline resistence. So when you re-introduce carbs, the higher production of insuline pushes more fat inside the cells and you regain body fat.
    2 I think is the main point. Getting rid of 75% of the viriety of food doesn't teach you how to eat (like every diet). So once you you re-introduce those foods or you quit counting calories, there are higher chances that you go back and eat the old way and thus regain all the weight.
    I agree with you. One has to find a way of eating that one can embrace as lifestyle.
  • gigius72
    gigius72 Posts: 183 Member
    edited February 2021
    gigius72 wrote: »
    Preference by the user. However I've NOT YET met a person personally who lost weight on keto and kept it off after going back to trying to eat normal foods again. Initially it's almost impossible because as soon as carbs are reintroduced to the body, weight will shoot up a few pounds because of water and glycogen retention. And this can freak them out where they either jump back on keto immediately, or get depressed at the weight gain and give in and overeat again.
    ANY DIET PROGRAM should be a total lifestyle change they INTEND TO KEEP DOING. Not just to lose weight. It's why there are so many out there that lose and regain.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

1 if you are one of those who have genes related to diabetes, while on keto you are creating a big insuline resistence. So when you re-introduce carbs, the higher production of insuline pushes more fat inside the cells and you regain body fat.
    2 I think is the main point. Getting rid of 75% of the viriety of food doesn't teach you how to eat (like every diet). So once you you re-introduce those foods or you quit counting calories, there are higher chances that you go back and eat the old way and thus regain all the weight.
    I agree with you. One has to find a way of eating that one can embrace as lifestyle.

No offence but your Seriously lacking in basic biology, insulin is basically a transportation hormone, virtually all the fat we consume is stored as fat etc etc etc

No offense taken.
    Yes fat is stored in cells. But when you are predisposed to diabetes you are very likely to store fat in non adipose tissues like muscle tissues or liver tissues. That is called insulin resistance. It causes non alcoholic fat liver and pre type 2 diabetes. The insulin is no longer capable to push glucose inside the muscular cells thus it stays in the bloodstream. Your body in response will produce more insulin. And as you eat more fat, that will end up in more muscle cells (called intromyocellular lipid).
  • katierthanmost
    katierthanmost Posts: 25 Member
    I don't think I'd last a day. Fortunately keto isn't necessary for weight loss.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    edited February 2021
    gigius72 wrote: »

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

1 if you are one of those who have genes related to diabetes, while on keto you are creating a big insuline resistence. So when you re-introduce carbs eat more calories, the higher production of insuline pushes more fat inside the cells and you regain body fat.
    Fixed it for you
    The only thing that leads to fat storage is an excess of calories...
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,482 Member
    mdmccall34 wrote: »
    I have been on keto since feb 1, almost 2 months. I have lost 12 pounds. I try different meals to help keep me on track. I don’t eat pork or beef. So I do a lot of Salmon, turkey, chicken and shrimp and a lot of vegetables
    Ask yourself: can I eat this way the rest of my life? Full well know that if you decide to "carb fest" you could EASILY gain 10lbs in a day. Of course not fat, but that's pretty dishearting to people who may have taken 4 months or more just to lose 10lbs.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png