What’s your Crazy COVID hobbies?

Replies

• ExpressoLove11
    ExpressoLove11 Posts: 337 Member
    i0t05nx1aqzl.jpg

I finally found time to practice some new fonts.

If you are ever at a loss for quotes to practice with let me know

If you have any requests hmu 💁‍♀️ I done quoted the whole star wars saga
  • ReenieHJ
    ReenieHJ Posts: 9,724 Member
    @Twitchandshout, it's going to be really pretty! I'd like to know how on earth the back is supposed to look as good as the front?
    I'm cheating because with my project I'm backing it with more material. :) I made a Christmas stocking for our firstborn and he's turning 40 this summer. My 2 dds pick at me every Christmas, asking me where their stockings are and how come they never got any nice handmade ones? Girls, he was my favorite ok? : :p So this yr. I've found patterns and got some muslin but that's as far as I've gotten. :blush:
  • twitchandshout
    twitchandshout Posts: 1,591 Member
    ReenieHJ wrote: »
    @Twitchandshout, it's going to be really pretty! I'd like to know how on earth the back is supposed to look as good as the front?
    I'm cheating because with my project I'm backing it with more material. :) I made a Christmas stocking for our firstborn and he's turning 40 this summer. My 2 dds pick at me every Christmas, asking me where their stockings are and how come they never got any nice handmade ones? Girls, he was my favorite ok? : :p So this yr. I've found patterns and got some muslin but that's as far as I've gotten. :blush:

She was a strange woman. She’s also the lady that told me don’t worry about mistakes in crochet because you can just smoosh it together.
  • sheclimber
    sheclimber Posts: 176 Member
    ReenieHJ wrote: »
    @sheclimber Those really are beautiful; they look like something you can frame and hang up.
    I wouldn't have the patience for finishing even one. :(
    Then I'd be like a 2 yo and take colored pencils and scribble over the whole page.:)

They do have a truly calming effect though and takes you out of your own head for awhile because you're so focused on it. They used to have giant posters to color at the Children's Hospital in Boston. Many an hour was spent trying to lose myself in coloring.

Thanks! Definitely takes me out of my head and they are very time consuming. And, bonus, it keeps my hands busy so I'm not snacking. Those were just some of my favorites. There are others where I do get extremely frustrated. Like the one I'm doing now. Colors aren't right so I'm using it as a practice piece now to figure out some color theory.
  • sheclimber
    i0t05nx1aqzl.jpg

That's cool! I wanted to add some words to a picture I was coloring and got some books on lettering from the library but they really weren't what I was looking for. I wanted to learn how to do fonts and this was all crafty stuff. Any suggestions?
  • ExpressoLove11
    sheclimber wrote: »
    i0t05nx1aqzl.jpg

That's cool! I wanted to add some words to a picture I was coloring and got some books on lettering from the library but they really weren't what I was looking for. I wanted to learn how to do fonts and this was all crafty stuff. Any suggestions?

Look for the Calligrapher's bible on Amazon. It has everything you need all in one place. I'd recommend the Sheaffer fountain pen calligraphy set as a good starting point, don't go straight for dip pens. You'll need paper with a heavy gsm too, the heavier the better. Watercolour paper is great but the Rhodia pads are even better. All of these items are available on Amazon 😊
  • ExpressoLove11
    sheclimber wrote: »
    Adult Coloring 😃gq7zzisi3no1.jpeg
    d4j0p474yedg.jpeg
    7g5bjmi099ir.jpeg
    wta7resri2je.jpeg

Woah 😍😍😍
  • ExpressoLove11
    My grandmother taught me that the back should be as neat as the front. She’d be disappointed with this.
    i1nbxpg9i6bs.jpeg

That looks super neat to me!
  • DWBalboa
    DWBalboa Posts: 37,239 Member
    My grandmother taught me that the back should be as neat as the front. She’d be disappointed with this.
    i1nbxpg9i6bs.jpeg

I remember doing this with my gmom and mom when I was young.
  • DWBalboa
    ajlmfp22 wrote: »
    It's not exactly a new hobby for me, but I got back into scale model building during the pandemic. Pre-pandemic I took a long hiatus from it because I got burnt out and lost motivation and was devoting time to my relationship with my now ex-girlfriend.

r5ikzse0wjyr.png

Pretty impressive. Did you also paint it?
  • DWBalboa
    i0t05nx1aqzl.jpg

Beautiful. Vince Lombardi has some really good inspirational quotes.
  • DWBalboa
    My ten yr old grandson and I are making a collection of "Useful things for a zombie apocalypse and/or gardening". He is probably the only kid at his school who has learned how to weld and cut metal during his time away from the classroom. His penmanship is atrocious but he can weld a nice and tidy seam.

Love this!

I learned gardening from my grandparents and have passed it on to my children. I've also used the premise of a zombie apocalypse to teach survival techniques. We also use to play a road trip game where we would call out things that we saw on the trip that would come in handy and have to defend why it was useful.

• ajlmfp22
    ajlmfp22 Posts: 54 Member
    DWBalboa wrote: »
    Pretty impressive. Did you also paint it?
    Just the internal frame and a few minor spots. It's probably like 90% unpainted and top coated with a clear flat spray.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    w543toscwcan.jpg

I accidentally domesticated a squirrel. Now I am responsible for his wellbeing.

This is the best! ❤️

All I'm saying is - do not offer a squirrel some cereal on a whim if you aren't prepared to buy him a picnic bench, deal with him staring into your soul through the windows, invest heavily in organic unsalted peanuts, and make daily IG updates about him for his 6-12 year lifespan which you did not know about when you originally offered him cereal. Its a full time thing.

OMG this is funny.

Similar - as kids we would put peanut butter on a spoon and watch the squirrels run up the tree with them. Every time it rained we would find plastic spoons in the yard.
  • sheclimber
    Look for the Calligrapher's bible on Amazon. It has everything you need all in one place. I'd recommend the Sheaffer fountain pen calligraphy set as a good starting point, don't go straight for dip pens. You'll need paper with a heavy gsm too, the heavier the better. Watercolour paper is great but the Rhodia pads are even better. All of these items are available on Amazon 😊

Thank you! I've got myself a shopping list now!
  • tmantwo
    tmantwo Posts: 2,181 Member
    Apparently, just living a normal, business as usual, life.
  • Nightmare0624
    Nightmare0624 Posts: 166 Member
    Playing fortnite with my kid.
  • DWBalboa
    edited February 2021
    Playing fortnite with my kid.

That is wonderful.
    I miss playing games with my boy well I mean young man.