Do you follow any eating style and why (low fat, low calorie, volumetrics, atkins, lchf, paleo, etc)

Just curious about what people find success with on this site?

I know I am going to get "calories in, calories out" comment multiple times but I want to know more.

Do you follow any eating style and why?
- low fat
- low calorie
- vegetarian
- flexitarian
- volumetrics
- weight watchers
- atkins
- lchf
- paleo
- Mediterranean
- clean eating
- dash diet

Replies

• Speakeasy76
    Speakeasy76 Posts: 961 Member
    I don't really follow a certain diet or eating style, although somewhat *try* to follow more of the principles of the Mediterranean diet. In general, though, I just try to eat a certain amount of protein and fiber, try to not eat a lot added sugar and not a lot of processed foods, or eat more minimally processed foods, and don't eat a lot of red meat. As someone who has never liked fish or seafood in general, I'm also learning to like (or, maybe tolerate is a better word) certain kinds of fish in order to eat that once a week. I also try not to eat a lot of saturated fats. However, I don't label foods as good or bad, but just have more or less come to enjoy eating foods that are also better for me than not. I have to say, though, that I was already trying to do this for the most part (or thought I was) before I started tracking again to lose a little more weight, because in the past several years my focus was more about eating foods that were better for me/made me feel better, not just trying to lose some weight. So for me, it was the tracking that helped me lose some more weight.
  • I don’t intentionally follow a particular eating style. When making food choices I do think about and usually follow these principles:
    - drink water first
    - half plate should be vegetables
    - Quarter plate should be complex carbohydrates, whole grains
    - Quarter plate should be protein
    - Minimize sweets, refined carbohydrates, alcohol

Some days I eat ‘healthier’ than other days. Yesterday I ate an entire Lindt 70% dark chocolate bar.
    I do not believe in cheat days.
    I believe fueling my body with healthy choices is a form of self respect.

I think Canada’s updated food guide is quite good.
  • middlehaitch
    middlehaitch Posts: 8,481 Member
    edited February 2021
    No special diet.

I just eat what I have always eaten. I may have had to juggle portion sizes a little to reach my protein goal when in a deficit.

For me this worked- maintained 10+yr.

ETA. The why I ate my chosen way. It made losing weight less complicated and mentally I could just glide into maintenance. There was no big ‘I’m on a diet’ just a reasonable calorie adjustment.

Cheers, h.

@stephie_nyc, I always smile when you pop up.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 31,721 Member
    I just did a "gradually remodel my eating" approach** to hit my calorie goal and dial in good balanced nutrition, satiation, and happiness with my eating at that calorie level, when it comes to weight management and MFP.

I am vegetarian, but I've been vegetarian for nearly 47 years now, thin to fat to obese and back to thin again. Vegetarianism works well for me, but there's nothing inherent in it that will cause weight loss as compared to being an omnivore, if you ask me. I didn't really change the foods I eat in order to lose weight, just the portion sizes, proportions, and (for some calorie-dense ones) the frequency. 🤷‍♀️

** Basically the process described in more detail in this thread:

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10636388/free-customized-personal-weight-loss-eating-plan-not-spam-or-mlm/p1
  • Ddsb11
    Ddsb11 Posts: 607 Member
    I follow IF accidentally 😬 I will either eat at 3pm or wait until dinner, depending on my hunger cues. Never had trouble getting all my calories in though, so 🤷🏼‍♀️
  • Bigstuff1980
    Bigstuff1980 Posts: 34 Member
    I was on weight watchers in 2019 and had great success. I use that with a diabetic diet twist. Very little rice potatoes pasta bread and sweets. High in lean meats veggies and fruit. I find that tracking my food makes all the difference. I tend to eat less and healthier foods when I track it.
  • natasor1
    natasor1 Posts: 271 Member
    I do paleo with LCHF twist. IF as 18/6. 2 days a week water, bulit-proof coffee and bone broth only fast. To make easier to count it's 9 X a week feeding
  • trjjoy
    trjjoy Posts: 666 Member
    I change things up depending on various factors. I am currently back on the IF-ish bandwagon.
  • Megan_smartiepants1970
    Megan_smartiepants1970 Posts: 38,512 Member
    edited February 2021
    I am a keto'er ...I was diagnosed with type 2 diabetes back in 2019 when I was hospitalized for the flu/pneumonia ...I am now considered pre diabetic ....no longer on insulin or metformin (diabetic meds) and I no longer have migraines :)
  • nytrifisoul
    nytrifisoul Posts: 500 Member
    I focus on low fat since fat tends to have more calories, but my main focus is watching my calorie intake. Also, low fat i believe is better for keeping your cholesterol down.
  • spiriteagle99
    spiriteagle99 Posts: 3,668 Member
    When I was actively losing weight, I did Atkins or a slightly less rigid version of low carb. I didn't track calories, I did track carbs. I liked the simplicity of it and because I have a problem with sweets (I eat way too much) it seemed like a good way of learning to live without as much sugar. I lost weight several times doing this (30-40 lbs.) but couldn't maintain the loss because I went back to eating more or less the way I had before once I was at my goal and regained every time.

About 8 or 9 years ago I came on MFP and started just counting calories in order to maintain a 45 lb. loss. I eat what I want but within the boundaries set by my activity level and daily exercise. I lost an additional 10 lbs. and have managed to maintain that loss. I do a lot of exercise though, so it is pretty easy to eat what I want. The difference is I know whether I can have a beer or an ice cream without gaining.
  • corinasue1143
    corinasue1143 Posts: 7,467 Member
    I eat what I like, which according to MFP is a little lower carb, higher fat. When I read about different diets, I identify most with the Zone diet, but I ate this way before I ever heard of it. I grew up on the farm in the country, so my basics are beef, chicken, eggs, milk. Lots of fruit and veg in the summer, not so much in winter. Not much rice, pasta, etc.
  • elisa123gal
    elisa123gal Posts: 4,281 Member
    I respond to rules. It works for me. It is just another way of cutting the bad foods out of my life and habits.. but it works.

no fast food
    don't drink during the week
    no fried food
    don't eat at a mall court
    don't eat at a sporting event
    no junk food/processed in the house at all
    no sugar
    no added fats except a bit of olive oil.

you do all that...and add a rule about doing cardio five times a week.. you lose weight. haha. I also have rules on what to do...what to eat..
  • sgt1372
    sgt1372 Posts: 3,971 Member
    Like others above, I just eat what I feel like eating as long as it fits w/in my calorie limitations.

• paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 8,926 Member
    I do not follow any eating style.

I just try to eat a reasonably nutritiously balanced diet and I keep to around my calorie allowance.
  • AndreaTamira
    AndreaTamira Posts: 272 Member
    I am vegan, but not for weight loss reasons. - I mean, I have been a fat vegan for years before this.

Right now the one thing I am trying to change in my eating style is hitting a good protein goal each day. Which means so far mostly making sure I usually add a protein source to each meal. That alone has made quite a difference.