Butter substitutes?

Hello! I’ve been tracking for over a year and my husband is FINALLY on board to “try” it..problem is he is super picky, I’ve tried replacing his regular oatmeal with the same flavors but added protein and he tastes the difference immediately. Are there any butter substitutes that taste like butter but will allow his macros to go to other sources (protein, additional calories, fat, etc)?
The other part to my question is I’ve heard that any butter substitute isn’t good for you, is this true? If butter subs are the lesser of 2 evils, that’s great but if not and I have to use real butter for his food, I’m fine with that, I just know it’s going to take me a long time to figure out how to balance his macros & make it fit. Thank you for any help you can give!!

Replies

• gigius72
    gigius72 Posts: 183 Member
    edited February 2021
    Butter substitute are usually vegetable oils. If you put oil in the refrigerator it'll stay liquid. In the past decades they used a process in order to make liquid vegetable oils solid which is called hydogenizing. That creates what is called trans fats. Very unhealthy, they can cause heart diseases.
    Now that it came out that tans fat are unhealthy and people are avoiding them, they found other ways to make vegetable oils solid. What ways? Well the easier is mixing the oils with real butter. There are still dairy free butter substitute, but I cannot tell you how they are solidified. Healthy? I wouldn't know.
    Other than that, if you are ok with saturated fat in butter, you'll be ok with saturated fat in butter substitutes.
    As per oat and protein I can't say anything. I'm not obsessed with proteins so I'm fine with the natural quantity in them. Just know that in oats you'll find mainly one source of amino acids, so if you want him to have more proteins I would go with other sources instead of increasing the same type of amino acids.
  • Speakeasy76
    Speakeasy76 Posts: 961 Member
    Maybe just have him focus on gradually using less butter than finding an alternative? If you/he is concerned about overall health and not just calories, then I'd also suggest replacing some of the butter with healthier fats, like olive oil. Although, I think olive oil would be weird in oatmeal.
  • wilson10102018
    wilson10102018 Posts: 1,306 Member
    I guess if someone is religiously vegan butter is not a choice. But, if not, why would anyone want to reduce butter? It is lower in calories than oils and far better tasting and mouth feel.
  • stephie_nyc
    stephie_nyc Posts: 96 Member
    I just don't use butter. I guess if I did feel like I really needed it, I would pick the foods I like it on best and just use it or use a half serving. What foods do you feel you really need it for?
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Was the protein added oatmeal Quaker? I notice the taste too. They use soy protein, blech. Try making oatmeal with milk to add protein. 1%, 2% whatever calories will allow.

I have used I Can't Believe it's not Butter Spray...it's non aerosol. It's in the refrigerated section. It has a good flavor.
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 9,959 Member
    I generally use real butter, but when I want something that will be spreadable pretty much right out of the refrigerator, I have been using Smart Balance light olive oil "buttery spread," which is made from water and a blend of vegetable oils, including palm oil to solidify it. I like the hint of olive oil in the taste, and it does taste more like butter than most margarines, and as a bonus it has fewer calories and less saturated fat than butter or regular margarine, as well as making the claim that it supports healthy cholesterol levels for those already in the normal range (it has omega-3 fatty acids, which I assume is the basis of that). I wouldn't try to cook with it, though; I use it strictly as a spread.

In general, though, if his goal is to lose weight (you don't actually say what his goals are), I would focus on the calories -- or let him focus on the calories -- and not worry overmuch about macros, especially at first. It's up to you how invested you want to be in helping him reach his goals. Does he have goals, or has he just given in to a year of your urging him to track his calories? If this is more your idea than his (or really, pretty much all your idea), it's not surprising that you are the one who feels like they have to figure out what foods he should eat.
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    The shelves of the grocery store are full of all kinds of “butter substitutes”. What features are looking for your desired substitute to have? Taste and texture exactly like butter but no fat?🧐
  • MsCzar
    MsCzar Posts: 1,039 Member
    Do they still make Molly McButter? It's probably loaded with chemicals, but I remember sprinkling that on popcorn, toast and baked potatoes - allowing me to cut back butter by 75% in most applications.
  • goal06082021
    goal06082021 Posts: 2,130 Member
    edited February 2021
    I generally use real butter, but when I want something that will be spreadable pretty much right out of the refrigerator, I have been using Smart Balance light olive oil "buttery spread," which is made from water and a blend of vegetable oils, including palm oil to solidify it. I like the hint of olive oil in the taste, and it does taste more like butter than most margarines, and as a bonus it has fewer calories and less saturated fat than butter or regular margarine, as well as making the claim that it supports healthy cholesterol levels for those already in the normal range (it has omega-3 fatty acids, which I assume is the basis of that). I wouldn't try to cook with it, though; I use it strictly as a spread.

In general, though, if his goal is to lose weight (you don't actually say what his goals are), I would focus on the calories -- or let him focus on the calories -- and not worry overmuch about macros, especially at first. It's up to you how invested you want to be in helping him reach his goals. Does he have goals, or has he just given in to a year of your urging him to track his calories? If this is more your idea than his (or really, pretty much all your idea), it's not surprising that you are the one who feels like they have to figure out what foods he should eat.

I just keep my (real) butter out on the counter, in a covered butter dish. I use it quickly enough that it doesn't go rancid.

Seconding your whole paragraph, too. This is an entire grown-assed man, he can learn to read a nutrition facts label and do math if he wants to.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    sgt1372 wrote: »
    IMO, there's no substitute for buttee or bacon.

Just allow enough cals to eat the real thing.

This 💯
  • tequila5000
    tequila5000 Posts: 128 Member
    yellow1111 wrote: »
    Hello! I’ve been tracking for over a year and my husband is FINALLY on board to “try” it..problem is he is super picky, I’ve tried replacing his regular oatmeal with the same flavors but added protein and he tastes the difference immediately. Are there any butter substitutes that taste like butter but will allow his macros to go to other sources (protein, additional calories, fat, etc)?
    The other part to my question is I’ve heard that any butter substitute isn’t good for you, is this true? If butter subs are the lesser of 2 evils, that’s great but if not and I have to use real butter for his food, I’m fine with that, I just know it’s going to take me a long time to figure out how to balance his macros & make it fit. Thank you for any help you can give!!

Just going to ask why it’s up to you to ‘balance his macros & make it fit’? I’m assuming because you’re married to him that he’s a functioning adult? Surely it’s better to teach him some basic info and let him take control of how he fits his pickiness in to his new goals.

I’ve learned through bitter experience that being ‘put in charge’ of a partners diet tends to backfire. These days I bite my tongue, facilitate when asked specifically, but leave him to figure it out because when he fails it’s going to be my fault in his eyes, if I’m in control!

Agree. It is not up to you to plan his menu or balance his macros. If he really truly wants to do this, he will do this without relying on you to facilitate it.
  • LisaGetsMoving
    LisaGetsMoving Posts: 664 Member

I second that.
  • lynn_glenmont

I just keep my (real) butter out on the counter, in a covered butter dish. I use it quickly enough that it doesn't go rancid.

Seconding your whole paragraph, too. This is an entire grown-assed man, he can learn to read a nutrition facts label and do math if he wants to.

Unless I've just baked a loaf of bread, I don't use butter as spread often enough to use it up before even salted butter is no longer at its best (and if I'm using it for cooking, I don't generally want it as soft as it gets on the counter -- too hard to measure, for one thing, so that doesn't help in using it up).

But if I have a home-baked loaf I know I'm going to want to use butter with until it's gone, or it's summer and I'm cooking corn regularly, I leave the butter out on the counter, too.
  • wilson10102018
    wilson10102018 Posts: 1,306 Member

I eat a lot of both, but I also think lightly sauteed Spam (Original or Lite) is a pretty good alternative for bacon.
  • lynn_glenmont

I eat a lot of both, but I also think lightly sauteed Spam (Original or Lite) is a pretty good alternative for bacon.

I dunno, I like Spam, but as its own thing, not as a substitute for bacon. (I do see a distinction between a substitute and an alternative, but the post you were responding to said substitute.)