Do you follow any eating style and why (low fat, low calorie, volumetrics, atkins, lchf, paleo, etc)

13»

Replies

• janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    ecjim wrote: »
    ecjim wrote: »
    I'm kind of Vegetarian + meat & eggs & cheese
    I generally stay low to moderate carbs, with more carbs around training times

What does "vegetarian + meat" mean? Am I just missing a joke here?

Jane - I was talking diet with a friend who is vegetarian for health reasons and just said that. It describes how I eat - meat, eggs, Fruit ,veggies, potatoes, some bread.. ...

"Vegetables + meat" is a very distinct thing from "vegetarian."
  • 33gail33
    33gail33 Posts: 1,155 Member
    edited February 2021
    Right now I am on a no (added) sugar, alcohol, dairy, soy, beans and legumes, high sugar fruits, and very limited bread diet. Dropping weight like never before, but also perpetually hungry which sucks.
    What would that be? Paleo maybe?
    My regular diet when I am not doing this torture is I guess pescatarian. No meat or dairy except fish and eggs.
    Edit: I forgot to add the why. I am doing this for health reasons which is the only reason I can stick to it. I am trying to manage a condition without resorting to long term steroid use so I am willing to try it for a while. On the plus side I am losing weight, and completely straightened my arthritic knee for the first time in probably 3 years this week. So I think there is something to the anti-inflammatory effects of what I am eating (or perhaps the inflammatory effects of what I was eating before?) So will have to try to work some of that into my diet going forward.
  • katierthanmost
    katierthanmost Posts: 25 Member
    I'd probably say I'm flexitarian, but only because that reflects my food preferences, not to adhere to a particular 'diet'.

When I'm with my boyfriend, I tend to eat more meat than I would alone because we cook meals together and he has a greater preference for it. That's just life.
  • Strudders67
    Strudders67 Posts: 978 Member
    CICO, although I keep my carbs below 130g a day (because I'm T2D) and juggle things to ensure I get sufficient protein and fibre. The simple answer is that I just continue to eat foods that I like but I made my portion sizes smaller, especially the rice / pasta / potatoes / couscous element, and added more veg instead.

Like someone else said, trying to follow someone else's diets, in the past, have just led to failure. I may have lost a bit of weight, but I couldn't (or wouldn't) continue with any of them long term and learned very little, so the weight just went straight back on, whereas reducing portion sizes of foods that I like and eat anyway is sustainable. I reached my goal weight last March and the weight hasn't crept back on, so I'll carry on doing what I learned from this period re portion sizes.
  • HelenWater
    HelenWater Posts: 232 Member
    Mediterranean most of the time, but currently trying lower carb (still whole foods) two days per week.
  • HoneyBadger302
    HoneyBadger302 Posts: 1,970 Member
    CICO with a higher protein/fat, lower carb focus. I don't have a "hard" number of carbs, but I avoid grain-based foods and limit other carbs based food items.
  • DancingMoosie
    DancingMoosie Posts: 8,613 Member
    I use volumetrics but it also messed me up a bit. If I had to start over I wouldn't have cut my fat down so low back in the day. Now I look at a beautiful piece of salmon with a half serving of rice and veg and I won't eat it because it's not a GIANT BOWL OF FOOD. I think it's an odd food behavior and I can't really stop the habit for some reason.

This is why I tend to put my protein in a salad or bowl of veggies or zoodles. I'll make hamburger salad instead of getting a Whataburger meal, or just microwave some frozen mixed vegetables and top with that beautiful salmon.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,889 Member
    I use volumetrics but it also messed me up a bit. If I had to start over I wouldn't have cut my fat down so low back in the day. Now I look at a beautiful piece of salmon with a half serving of rice and veg and I won't eat it because it's not a GIANT BOWL OF FOOD. I think it's an odd food behavior and I can't really stop the habit for some reason.

This is why I tend to put my protein in a salad or bowl of veggies or zoodles. I'll make hamburger salad instead of getting a Whataburger meal, or just microwave some frozen mixed vegetables and top with that beautiful salmon.

Yes, during grilling season I have lots of big salads with 4 oz of hamburger, steak, or chicken.
  • hesn92
    hesn92 Posts: 5,967 Member
    edited February 2021
    Vegan. Not for weight loss or health, more for ethical reasons, although I do believe my diet is much healthier than it used to be. I just try to create somewhat balanced meals that include some type of protein, a grain, vegetables, some sort of fat, and I eat some type of leafy greens every day.
  • rterm
    rterm Posts: 13 Member
    My diet is heavy on green vegetables, fruits, and I lace dinners with meat and fish. I avoid pasta and potatoes and rice most of the time, but being of Italian extraction, I've got to have a bowl of spaghetti and meat balls (or sausages) at least once/week. I've cut down on alcohol to a 5 oz glass of wine or one bottle of beer per day. Breakfast is usually whole grain cereal with milk, strawberries and blueberries or I'll have scrambled eggs with toast. Lunch is a olive oil dressed salad with cukes, and tomatoes or hummus with some marinated olives, and occasionally I'll also eat a half a grapefruit. My biggest problem is keeping the ice cream off my dessert lists, and sticking with only fruit and nuts.
  • gradchica27
    gradchica27 Posts: 777 Member
    I’m pescatarian, but not for weight control. I’ve been a chubby pescatarian and a thin one over the past 20 years. I just don’t like meat.

Too much cheese and too many carbs and desserts can do me in, so I add more fish and veggies,cut down on junky carbs to rebalance. That’s where I am now, post holiday and mid winter.
  • dragon_girl26
    dragon_girl26 Posts: 2,187 Member
    Mostly vegetarian, with meat maybe twice or thrice a month. I think I will likely transition to vegetarian full time at some point in the future. Outside of meat, I just stick to my calorie goal and don't try to adhere to any macro rules, other than working on hitting protein better.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,489 Member
    edited February 2021
    See food diet. I like what I see, I eat it.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • watts6151
    watts6151 Posts: 887 Member
    i generally do the broderick post it note diet, nice and simple