Butter substitutes?

Replies

• ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,481 Member
    Question: is he onboard to healthier eating and tracking macros, or is he in it to lose weight?

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • gigius72
    gigius72 Posts: 183 Member
    edited February 2021
    ninerbuff wrote: »
    Question: is he onboard to healthier eating and tracking macros, or is he in it to lose weight?

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

I never liked the phrases healthy eating or everything with moderation. They actually have little meaning. Ask 10 different doctors and 10 different nutritionists what is healthy and you'll get different answers from what is healthy eating. Many will agree on the bases, but I'm sure they all have some conflicting foods.
    Like moderation. Ask people what moderation is and you'll get different quantities according to their taste bud favorites lol.
  • glassyo
    glassyo Posts: 7,582 Member
    gigius72 wrote: »

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

I never liked the phrases healthy eating or everything with moderation. They actually have little meaning. Ask 10 different doctors and 10 different nutritionists what is healthy and you'll get different answers from what is healthy eating. Many will agree on the bases, but I'm sure they all have some conflicting foods.
    Like moderation. Ask people what moderation is and you'll get different quantities according to their taste bud favorites lol.

LOL I like to say that my moderation isn't anywhere near the rest of the people on here's moderation. (Just look at my cookie inventory :))
  • Priasmama416
    Priasmama416 Posts: 103 Member
    I still use real butter most of the time, however my daughter cant have dairy and she likes the taste of " I can't believe it's not butter " plant based
  • gigius72
    gigius72 Posts: 183 Member
    edited February 2021
    glassyo wrote: »

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

LOL I like to say that my moderation isn't anywhere near the rest of the people on here's moderation. (Just look at my cookie inventory :))

I can relate to your thinking but about chocolate... Unfortunately 😂😂😂😂😂😂😂
  • SouthWestLondon
    SouthWestLondon Posts: 134 Member
    I've had to reduce my butter intake just because I don't really have enough room in my calories for it. If I am having a sandwich or something where I need some spread for texture where taste doesn't matter too much, I use Flora Light.

But where I really want to use butter - on toast or in baking - none of the substitutes hit the mark. So baked goods and toast have to become a rare treat now. But that's a personal choice - I could have butter, but it would mean not getting some chocolate in the evening, or having to limit my dinner a bit etc. So it's a choice I've made. Your choice might be different.
  • yellow1111
    yellow1111 Posts: 11 Member
    edited February 2021
    Thank you all

• yellow1111

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

• yellow1111
    Also, I’m sorry, I don’t know how to directly respond to peoples questions. He’s trying to be healthier and lose weight.
  • lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 Posts: 7,885 Member

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

There's actually quite a bit of agreement on healthy eating (what a nutritious diet is) if you look at the big things. Yes, there are some outlier types, but it's pretty clear they aren't so reputable most of the time.

Moderation seems to me to mean "an amount that is consistent with eating a calorie-appropriate, nutrient-dense and sufficient diet, that is filling enough for me and satisfying to me, and consistent with my tastes" or something like that. And I'd look at diet over the course of a week, not every single day.

Your reference to conflicting foods suggests that you think people should be opining on whether a food is healthy or not in isolation, and of course the question is the diet as a whole and how the foods you eat fit in.

I don't think butter is a "healthy" food (I don't classify foods in isolation, and I would say it doesn't add much in the way of nutrients, is high cal, and has sat fat, which for many at least should be limited). But that doesn't mean one can't include butter as part of a healthy diet if it is worth the cals for you--of course you can. If you ate so much butter that you were cutting out foods you need to meet your nutrition goals or always going over cals, then that's not moderation. Arguably the same if you were always high in sat fat.
  • tcunbeliever
    tcunbeliever Posts: 8,219 Member
    There's a powder butter you can get usually in the popcorn section, that's pretty tasty.

Also, I prefer powdered cheese for oatmeal/grits so that might be something worth trying, and that's usually sold either in the popcorn section (like cheddar or nacho flavors) or in the pasta section (mac & cheese or queso flavor).
  • dragon_girl26
    dragon_girl26 Posts: 2,187 Member
    edited February 2021
    I've tried several different variants of margarine and vegan butters. The only one I half way liked/tolerated was Miyoko's. Other than that, I'd say nothing compares to the real thing.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

moderation is simple. Eat what you like within your allowed calories as long as you are meeting micros and macros...
  • pfeiferlindsey
    pfeiferlindsey Posts: 163 Member
    yellow1111 wrote: »
    Thank you all for your answers! Some were pretty rude to be honest, but for those of you who responded with kindness and helpful content I appreciate it very much and they were very helpful to me!! :) He used to be very active and fit but due to injury he can’t.
    I would like to address the rude comments, I’ve removed many of them....Not that it’s anybody’s business, but my husband is an injured vet and has extremely limited mobility, due to his injuries. Yes, I cook his meals for him, I take him to physical therapy, I care for him after his many back surgeries and I will continue to do so...as the wife of someone who gave his body for our freedoms, it’s the very least I can do. And someone commented he is a “grown *kitten* man who should be taking care of himself” my husband is a grown *kitten* man who gave up his physical freedoms for his country. Please think before you reply with rude comments when you don’t know the backstory, or..maybe don’t reply at all.

First...please thank him for his service to our country. Second, please don't feel like you have to justify yourself to anyone regarding what works. My husband is also a "grown man" and I help with his macro counting at times. Why? Because that's what a relationship is about. Helping your significant other when they need it.

I haven't had the butter substitutes in a very long time, but if I recall correctly, I Can't Believe It's Not Butter was okay. But, being from Wisconsin, I much prefer my regular butter. A half a serving (half a tablespoon) is only 50 calories. A half a serving of I Can't Believe It's Not Butter is 30 calories. For me, making the extra 20 calories fit is worth it.
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 9,959 Member
    yellow1111 wrote: »
    Also, I’m sorry, I don’t know how to directly respond to peoples questions. He’s trying to be healthier and lose weight.

It looks like from one post that you've figured out the quote button (maybe too well, :smile: ).

After you click quote, you should see the quoted text appear in the box for your post (the box is at the bottom of the page on the website; it's been a while since I used the app for the forums, so I'm not sure if it's at the bottom of the page there too or if it pops up right below the post you're responding too). Just click in the box, either above or below the quoted text, and start typing your direct response to that person.

Just realized it's possible that by "directly respond" you could mean DM'ing them. Not something I do a lot with random users (I don't even do it much with my "friends" group), but if that's what you meant, just say so, and I'm sure somebody else would be happy to explain how it's done. I think you just click on their name, maybe?
  • mpkpbk2015
    mpkpbk2015 Posts: 766 Member
    I use Ghee it's a lot healther and even my kids don't notice the difference.
  • socajam
    socajam Posts: 2,530 Member
    I refuse to have anything else, but butter.
    But I work that into my calories. If I do not have enough calories, then I do without the butter, but refuse to use the substitutes on the market - nothing tastes like butter - Lurpak Danish Butter or Kerrygold Pure Irish Butter
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,881 Member
    mpkpbk2015 wrote: »
    I use Ghee it's a lot healther and even my kids don't notice the difference.

I've made ghee and used to cook with it and don't consider it healthier, with the possible exception of the acrylamide thing which I don't know enough to comment on:

https://www.healthline.com/health/food-nutrition/ghee-vs-butter

For someone who is lactose-sensitive, it may indeed be healthier, as it is lactose-free.

I never knew it had more calories, which could arguably make it less healthy.