Whats for breakfast?

erosemiller314
erosemiller314 Posts: 48 Member
What are you having for breakfast today? Bonus if you can share picture, ingredients and calories!

I'm having 2 eggs scrambled with a half cup of broccoli that I steamed, 3 banquet turkey sausage links and a tablespoon of cheese. You could keep things separated but I like it all scrambled together. I season with salt pepper and garlic powder. It made a large plate full but I ate some before remembering to take a picture. Lol

0cbjsv4a9v41.jpg

Replies

• erosemiller314
    Forgot to say it totals 290 calories!
  • goal06082021
    goal06082021 Posts: 2,130 Member
    No pics, but I've been prepping breakfast burritos for weekday breakfasts for about 2 months now. They freeze and reheat beautifully (2 minutes in the microwave, flip halfway), and clock in between 450 and 550 calories apiece depending on filling. I could get that lower if I used the fancy, expensive low carb tortillas, but for right now I'm just using regular burrito-size flour tortillas and it's working for me.

Basic Burrito Formula: Wrap + Egg + Meat + Vegetable + Cheese. Omit, substitute, and adjust as desired.

WRAP: La Banderita extra-large flour tortillas, 10 pack is about $3. Tortillas are about 220 cal apiece. The filling amounts below would probably be challenging to fit in smaller tortillas, I'd probably halve it.

EGG: Scramble 12 large eggs (~550-600g) in some butter (~18g), salt to taste. Ends up being about 50g cooked per burrito, around 80-90 cal.

MEAT: Pick one.
    • Bacon - cut a package of bacon in half, there's usually about 15 slices. Arrange half-slices on a baking sheet, bake at 400F for about 10-15 minutes until bacon is cooked to your liking. Or batch-cook on the stovetop, if you've got time for that. Drain on paper towels. Usually about 45 cal per burrito, more or less depending on how crispy you like your bacon (i.e., how much fat you render out)
    • Sausage - I take a package of breakfast sausage links and remove the casings, then brown the meat in a skillet, breaking it up as much as I can. Works out to about 20g cooked per burrito, around 90 cal.
    • Spam - I used a whole can, diced small, roughly 30g per burrito, around 100 cal.
    • Ham - I used leftover Christmas ham, about 23g per burrito, 45 cal.

VEGETABLE: Pick one.
    • Home fries - diced potatoes, onions, bell pepper. Usually comes out to about 40g per burrito, around 60 cal. Toss with olive oil, salt, and pepper, and roast in a 400F oven for about 30-40 minutes. I measure my ingredients as I cook and update my recipe each week.
    • Black beans - I just use canned, around 30g per burrito, roughly 40 cal. Straight from the can since they're going to be frozen and reheated.
    • Refried beans - I took a can of black beans and mashed them up with some olive oil and garlic and salt, so obviously that upped the cals a bit. I used 80g of the bean mixture per burrito, around 100cal for that amount, and that was a little too much; if I do this again I'll probably use half that much.
    • Sweet potatoes - combine very well with black beans, prepared similarly to home fries, just skip the onion and pepper. Dice, season, roast. Around 40g per burrito, about 45 cal.

CHEESE: Whatever kind you like, I recommend buying a block and shredding it yourself rather than buying pre-shredded - it melts better. Queso fresco is lower calorie than something like cheddar or pepper jack, it melts beautifully and is easy to cut into little chunks for assembly. I use about 20g per burrito, comes out to about 60-90 cal depending on what kind of cheese you use.

Let all the ingredients cool to room temperature. Assemble and roll the burrito, wrap it in a piece of parchment paper, and freeze the batch on a baking sheet for about 6 hours or overnight before transferring to a ziplock bag (mostly for space/"I need that baking sheet" reasons, if you can keep a baking sheet in your freezer all the time go for it).

I prep a batch of 10 on Sunday and my husband and I eat them for breakfast during the week.
  • MaltedTea
    MaltedTea Posts: 6,286 Member
    Also no pic but my brunch was a croissant, a slice of MFP's vegetarian "meat" loaf, some slices of sun-dried tomatoes, and a cup of tea. 477 delish calories.
  • KatyP86
    KatyP86 Posts: 164 Member
    No pic since I already ate it but I had half of a cinnamon raisin bagel with a tablespoon of cream cheese, some fresh strawberries, and a cup of peach/passion fruit tea 🥯🍓☕

Total of 250 calories 🤗
  • erosemiller314
    I tried prepping some breakfast burritos as well. Won't try it until tomorrow though. I can't wait to try them!
  • tbduarte1
    tbduarte1 Posts: 84 Member
    turkey and egg cups, I love them, rich yokes!!!
  • erosemiller314
    Hey everyone! Tried my burrito this morning and it ended up really soggy after reheating. I did add a couple pieces of diced tomato to the burritos but I can't imaging just a little tomato would cause that much liquid. I did use the Eggmates Egg substitute. Could that be the reason there was so much liquid?
  • TheresaM787
    TheresaM787 Posts: 751 Member
    https://cleananddelicious.com/wprm_print/29540

Baked Banana Oatmeal
    I’ve made this twice so far with fat free milk. It’s absolutely delicious. Perfect as a side for breakfast to eggs, or as a snack or a treat with tea. Toast it before enjoying.
    Sliced into nine squares it’s 156 calories per serving.
  • erosemiller314
    https://cleananddelicious.com/wprm_print/29540

Baked Banana Oatmeal
    I’ve made this twice so far with fat free milk. It’s absolutely delicious. Perfect as a side for breakfast to eggs, or as a snack or a treat with tea. Toast it before enjoying.
    Sliced into nine squares it’s 156 calories per serving.

Oh, that sounds yummy!
  • dreamer182
    dreamer182 Posts: 43 Member
    Portein blueberry muffins! ulvalcs0drvc.jpg
  • janicemlove
    janicemlove Posts: 432 Member
    Made an egg sandwich today with cheese and avocado. So good!
  • erosemiller314
    I made a chicken spinach and mushroom quiche today. Less than 250 calories per slice.

2i6ywasbkw9q.jpg
  • Athijade
    Athijade Posts: 3,227 Member
    Hey everyone! Tried my burrito this morning and it ended up really soggy after reheating. I did add a couple pieces of diced tomato to the burritos but I can't imaging just a little tomato would cause that much liquid. I did use the Eggmates Egg substitute. Could that be the reason there was so much liquid?

Hmmm. Not sure. Mine don't get soggy, but I don't add things like tomato or salsa. Usually mine are some combination of eggs, roasted potatoes, bell pepper, onion, black beans, cheese, and spinach (not all at once due to calories). They don't get soggy when reheated.

Also no pics, but this week I am doing breakfast fried rice. I use rice, cauliflower rice, bacon, eggs, spinach, and the normal fried rice seasonings. Really filling. Not sure on calories because I am not logging atm.
  • yayamom3
    yayamom3 Posts: 939 Member
    I've been prepping this crustless mixed vegetable quiche and freezing individual slices.
    https://healthyrecipesblogs.com/crustless-vegetable-quiche-recipe/

Once slice of crustless quiche (184), one maple veggie sausage patty (80) and one serving edamame (71).

335 calories, 25g protein
  • SuzanneC1l9zz
    SuzanneC1l9zz Posts: 451 Member
    I usually do a smoothie.

1/2 cup berries - right now I'm buying frozen and thawing small batches in the fridge because they're crazy expensive in the winter
    1/2 cup Astro Balkan yogurt
    1 scoop vanilla flavour Vega protein & greens
    1/4 cup Vector high protein cereal
    3/4 cup Hemp Bliss original hemp milk

All into the blender. It's quick and tasty and enough to fill me up.

337 calories
  • goal06082021
    goal06082021 Posts: 2,130 Member

Yeah, tomatoes are very watery. If you're going to add watery veg to your burritos - tomato, spinach, broccoli, zucchini, mushrooms, bell pepper - you need to cook them a little first and dry them out. I usually put potato, onion, and bell pepper in my burritos and use a sheet pan to bake them off, about 30-40 minutes at 400F.

You also want to make sure your ingredients are all about room temperature when you assemble - don't put your burrito together hot, if you're planning to freeze and reheat later. What I do is I try to time it such that everything is done cooking around the same time, then let it all sit on the counter for about 10 minutes to cool before I start assembling.
  • idabudrocks
    idabudrocks Posts: 3 Member
    My usual breakfast is a 2-egg omelet with usually sauteed mushrooms, sweet peppers, tomatoes, a little cheese. And then two half pieces of fruit. Simple, fast, easy and low-cal. Or sometimes I just have a boiled egg with two half pieces of fruit. Trying to stay away from bread. I did buy the good grain bread though so it's better.
    \
  • idabudrocks
    idabudrocks Posts: 3 Member
    Another cool thing is to mix eggs with whatever veggies you like and a little cheese and bake in cupcake pans. Then eat during the week! I think it's like 350 for 20 minutes. Little mini quiche
  • sailor789
    sailor789 Posts: 33 Member
    2 egg omelet with: small potatoes, zucchini, broccoli, and nutritional yeast, a little salsa and greek yogurt
    335 calories
    pretty good, very filling
    will try with one egg next time, too much food i think
  • rterm
    rterm Posts: 13 Member
    I chopped up a small potato, a half cup of onion, and a half cup of mushrooms, and sauteed them in a tsp of canola oil, until the potatoes are brown, and the onions are clear. I then add in two scrambled eggs, and a 2 tbsp of grated parmesan cheese, and cook in the pan for about a minute or until they look done. Upon plating, I add salt, and pepper for a tasty breakfast.