February follies...

UncleMac
UncleMac Posts: 12,879 Member
edited March 2021 in Social Groups
Goodbye to the holiday season...

For those not in my FL, 2020 got one last kick in the guts for me. In the wee hours of January 1st, my father (age 83) suddenly & unexpectedly passed away from an abdominal aortic aneurysm. He was in good health, active and strong, to the end.

I know 83 is a decently long life... he spent his last day puttering in his shop... but I mean it when I say no-one expected this. To add insult to injury, any of the family from outside the province were prevented from attending the small funeral permitted by covid restrictions. Luckily there was live video of the event but still... not the same...

My chosen method of coping & healing was therapeutic walking... daily walks are good for my mental & physical health... One day at a time...

I hope everyone is doing well. What's your plan for February? Remember... a goal without a plan is a wish...

Replies

• mtaratoot
    mtaratoot Posts: 13,114 Member
    I'm so sorry to hear this news.

I guess if you have to go, aneurysm isn't so bad. It's usually very fast. It's not a good thing, but it's better than a slow decline.

One day at a time for sure.

My February plan is to keep eating good stuff, but not too much, and to get back down to my maintenance weight. The last few months have seen me creep up a bit. There must be something causing me stress. I wonder what it could be....
  • UncleMac
    mtaratoot wrote: »
    I'm so sorry to hear this news.

I guess if you have to go, aneurysm isn't so bad. It's usually very fast. It's not a good thing, but it's better than a slow decline.

One day at a time for sure.

My February plan is to keep eating good stuff, but not too much, and to get back down to my maintenance weight. The last few months have seen me creep up a bit. There must be something causing me stress. I wonder what it could be....
    It was quick and he didn't suffer but a brief pain which awakened him. When he got up, he collapsed and never regained consciousness. He would not have wanted to linger or to decline...
  • fractaltiger
    fractaltiger Posts: 122 Member
    I am sorry for your loss. I lost my Dad 10 years ago and still talk to him sometimes.

I bought one of those under the desk ellipticals for me and Mom for Christmas. Both of us have been using it when the weather is just not encouraging LOL. I am hoping it helps me through a low back irritation that has kept me from walking more than a half mile at a time.

As if a week ago I still had some pain when walking but not as much as a month ago. I am hoping for more improvement this month. Spring walks can be so much fun!
  • UncleMac
    I am sorry for your loss. I lost my Dad 10 years ago and still talk to him sometimes.

I bought one of those under the desk ellipticals for me and Mom for Christmas. Both of us have been using it when the weather is just not encouraging LOL. I am hoping it helps me through a low back irritation that has kept me from walking more than a half mile at a time.

As if a week ago I still had some pain when walking but not as much as a month ago. I am hoping for more improvement this month. Spring walks can be so much fun!
    My son is in Canada and sent pics of the current snow. I'm in Texas wearing t-shirts & shorts.

As a method of dealing with my grief for losing my dad and frustration about being prevented from traveling by walking here in the Hill Country. My legs & lungs are feeling strong... my heart is still heavy...
  • BBee5064
    BBee5064 Posts: 1,020 Member
    So sorry to hear of your loss UncleMac. It’s never easy no matter what age to lose a beloved parent. It sounds like the therapeutic walking is helping you to cope a little. As you say one day at a time.

I’ve just invested in a spin bike. We see how I get on with that. Trying to get into a good routine this month.

Stay safe & well everyone 🧡
  • MikePfirrman
    MikePfirrman Posts: 3,307 Member
    edited February 2021
    I'm sorry to hear about your Dad. That's always tough. I lost my Mom suddenly when I was 32 and that was very hard. But what was harder was when my Dad got lung cancer and my siblings outvoted me and made him do aggressive chemo. He declined rapidly and it was horrid to watch. Feel blessed that he left quickly and he lived so long.

I'm really sorry that Covid kept you from being there live, though. That's horrible.

My Feb goal is getting back to regular lifting. I row six days a week already, but been fighting back injury for two years. It's finally feeling better but I've lost like 25% to 30% of my power. At one point, I was a pretty competitive indoor rower regionally. I still think sometimes I could get back into form. We'll see. Right now, it's lighter lifting and staying injury free and keeping the thoracic back out of pain. I've had neck injuries and lower back injuries, but never middle of the back. Doesn't hurt nearly as bad, but it's a dickens to rehab. Not as simple as stretching.

I'll be 57 this year, so injuries are common with how hard I train, but getting over them isn't easy.
  • UncleMac
    I'll be 57 this year, so injuries are common with how hard I train, but getting over them isn't easy.
    I turned 57 recently and you're right... injuries seem easier to come by and harder to heal...

Intellectually, I know grieving is part of life but that doesn't seem to make it easier on my heart.
  • rgec58
    rgec58 Posts: 19 Member
    I'm 62 and injuries do come easier. I've learned the hard way to take longer warm ups and warm downs for cycling and adequate stretches after runs. I also make sure to have active recovery days for both. I don't know if it is just mental, but drinking a recovery smoothie following runs and rides seems to help as well, Fage 2% Greek Yogurt, a banana, 6 strawberries (when I have them), a tablespoon of local honey and unsweetened almond milk.