What’s your Crazy COVID hobbies?

124»

Replies

• Nightmare0624
    Nightmare0624 Posts: 166 Member
    DWBalboa wrote: »
    Playing fortnite with my kid.

That is wonderful.
    I miss playing games with my boy well I mean young man.

Typed an entire reply, and hit go and not post. Fml

She finally likes playing more than just one game, so I am enjoying it while I can.
    And I bet your son would play still!

Some of my best memories are playing video games with my mom. She still comes over to play mortal Kombat or bowling on the wii. She's 60 now. I'll never turn down a game with my mom
  • 5ofseven
    5ofseven Posts: 791 Member
    In the last four months, I've taken up:

Snowshoeing
    Astronomy
    Backcountry skiing
  • DWBalboa
    DWBalboa Posts: 37,239 Member

That is wonderful.

She finally likes playing more than just one game, so I am enjoying it while I can.

Some of my best memories are playing video games with my mom. She still comes over to play mortal Kombat or bowling on the wii. She's 60 now. I'll never turn down a game with my mom

Actually I was just reminiscing with him the other night about how we use to play all the time and he said that he has a few new games we could play or even hook up one of his old systems and play some of the games we use to play. We just need to get a new remote as his second broke.
    We do play card games when his sister comes over or other family is in town.
    I'm trying to get him into axe throwing with me but he's not too keen on that.
  • LisaGetsMoving
    LisaGetsMoving Posts: 664 Member
    I've recently started talking to strangers on the internet.

LOL! I actually quit all social media in 2020, it seemed toxic. Now I talk to strangers on MFP but people here are generally more supportive and overall have similar goals (good health).
  • chuckle_bunny
    chuckle_bunny Posts: 496 Member
    I've recently started talking to strangers on the internet.
    I like to pretend everyone here are ghosts from my past. Hi, Nonna Beatrice!
  • LisaGetsMoving
    LisaGetsMoving Posts: 664 Member
    I also dusted off my old 1950's Singer sewing machine and began sewing again. I made over 300 masks and gave them away. I burned myself out on making masks, so now I am taking old clothes and upcycling them into something else. Current project: my spouses old overalls are becoming a Bohemian patchwork jumper. That's fun because there's no pattern and no rules, it's a creative process.
  • Nightmare0624

That is wonderful.

Actually I was just reminiscing with him the other night about how we use to play all the time and he said that he has a few new games we could play or even hook up one of his old systems and play some of the games we use to play. We just need to get a new remote as his second broke.

I've always wanted to go axe throwing! It seems like fun.
    I'd recently taken up going to the gun range but now can't find any ammo for my gun, so my last 5 rounds are simply for personal protection. Kinda sucks, I enjoyed hanging out with my big brother at the range and perfecting my stance, but can't shoot without ammo
  • ReenieHJ
    ReenieHJ Posts: 9,724 Member

That is wonderful.

I'd recently taken up going to the gun range but now can't find any ammo for my gun, so my last 5 rounds are simply for personal protection. Kinda sucks, I enjoyed hanging out with my big brother at the range and perfecting my stance, but can't shoot without ammo

Get your stance. Aim your gun, one eye closed right? Then go Pow Pow really loud and jerk the gun back.
    Easy peasy. Up side is no accidental shootings at the gun range.
  • DWBalboa

That is wonderful.

What kind of firearm do you have that you can't find ammo for it? I have a friend that has some land out in the country that we go shooting on his property. We even built a small range there.
    Axe throwing is a lot of fun to me and it is actually therapeutic or at least I feel relaxed afterwards. :smiley:
    You can see in my first post the backboard I built for throwing in my back yard. All I have to do is change out the top layer with scrap wood every few weeks.
    Fun in the backyard with no need to go anywhere. :smiley:
  • rterm
    rterm Posts: 13 Member
    I use to play a lot of chess, and with all the downtime, I've joined several on-line chess sites, and play regularly. I also have always done a little photography, and now I'm doing it more often.
  • mwgibler
    mwgibler Posts: 154 Member
    Getting fat, drinking too much, not working out. I’ve been busy
  • DWBalboa
    rterm wrote: »
    I use to play a lot of chess, and with all the downtime, I've joined several on-line chess sites, and play regularly. I also have always done a little photography, and now I'm doing it more often.

That is great! I use to really love chess as well, maybe I need to challenge my son. Although he has been studying videos and playing online. He'd probably smoke me.
  • DWBalboa
    I plan on doing two things this summer making a hot sauce that I made two years ago in a larger batch as well as canning. I canned a lot when I was a kid with my mother, grandmother and great-aunts but I don't recall all the details.
    Here is my hot sauce that people who tried it loved it. Plan on making enough to gift this year.

Daves’ insane hot sauce.

• 6 jalapeno peppers
    • 6 Habanero peppers
    • 1 to 6 Ghost peppers (to heat level taste)
    • 10 cayenne peppers
    • 5 cloves of Garlic
    • 2 Medium Tomatoes
    • 1 cup chopped, Carrots
    • 1 lime, Juiced
    • 0.50 cup Apple Cider Vinegar
    • 1 sweet onion, 1 Tablespoons, Salt
    • 1 tbsp, white pepper
    • 1 tbsp, black pepper
    • 2 tbsp, paprika
    • 1 tbsp smoked paprika
    • ½ tbsp. cumin
    • 1 tbsp Fresh Cilantro or to taste
    • 1 tsp Salt to taste

You can substitute for the carrots or just add the one or more of the following for other flavors:
    • 1 cup Mangos
    • 1 cup Pineapple
    • 1 cup peaches

Finely blend all ingredients leaving out the peppers.
    In a large pot, slowly heat the ingredients for 30 minutes.
    Finely blend the peppers with the other ingredients and place back in the pot and heat at low/medium stirring often. Do not let ingredients to boil.
    Pure sauce into mason jars and seal properly. My first (so far only) batch filled 5ish jars. (Google canning)
    I did not can mine properly but my first batch kept for over a year in the refrigerator.
  • tmantwo
    tmantwo Posts: 2,181 Member
    edited February 2021
    I plan on doing two things this summer making a hot sauce that I made two years ago in a larger batch as well as canning. I canned a lot when I was a kid with my mother, grandmother and great-aunts but I don't recall all the details.
    Here is my hot sauce that people who tried it loved it. Plan on making enough to gift this year.

Daves’ insane hot sauce.

• 6 jalapeno peppers
    • 6 Habanero peppers
    • 10 cayenne peppers
    • 5 cloves of Garlic
    • 2 Medium Tomatoes
    • 1 cup chopped, Carrots
    • 1 lime, Juiced
    • 1 tbsp, white pepper
    • 1 tbsp, black pepper
    • 2 tbsp, paprika
    • 1 tbsp smoked paprika
    • ½ tbsp. cumin
    • 1 tsp Salt to taste

You can substitute for the carrots or just add the one or more of the following for other flavors:
    • 1 cup Mangos
    • 1 cup Pineapple
    • 1 cup peaches

Finely blend the peppers with the other ingredients and place back in the pot and heat at low/medium stirring often. Do not let ingredients to boil.
    Pure sauce into mason jars and seal properly. My first (so far only) batch filled 5ish jars. (Google canning)
    I did not can mine properly but my first batch kept for over a year in the refrigerator.

I’m working my way through a bottle of Dave’s now.

Not that you need this reminder, but to others who have not messed with peppers... when the Ball Blue Book says to wear gloves, wear gloves.

Being the man I was, I didn’t need to wear no stinking gloves the first time I canned peppers.

It’s been a minute or two so I forget all the peppers I canned but the jalapeños I left on the vine until they went red and cracked, there were birds eye peppers, and a bunch of others. Quarts upon quarts of peppers. Peppers over 100k scoville.

Long story short, that night, when I took my contacts out it burned for a minute or three. The next day, after my contacts had soaked in saline and hot pepper oil, i tossed one in and it was like going into the gas chamber or being pepper sprayed again. 9 out of 10 I do not recommend.

• Nightmare0624

That is wonderful.

What kind of firearm do you have that you can't find ammo for it? I have a friend that has some land out in the country that we go shooting on his property. We even built a small range there.
    Axe throwing is a lot of fun to me and it is actually therapeutic or at least I feel relaxed afterwards. :smiley:
    You can see in my first post the backboard I built for throwing in my back yard. All I have to do is change out the top layer with scrap wood every few weeks.

I have a smith and wesson m&p ez .380
    Even all the ranges here are having a hard time getting ammo. That and 9mm seem to be low in stock
  • tmantwo
    tmantwo Posts: 2,181 Member

That is wonderful.

Even all the ranges here are having a hard time getting ammo. That and 9mm seem to be low in stock

Any time I can find a box of Critical Duty or Critical Defense I buy it regardless of the cost. For the range I reload. It's crazy hard trying to find .223/5.56, 9mm, etc. I've got a hundred 9mm JHP to load but I'd rather have the Hornady ammo in the carry pistol.
  • corinasue1143
    corinasue1143 Posts: 7,467 Member

Daves’ insane hot sauce.

• 6 jalapeno peppers
    • 6 Habanero peppers
    • 10 cayenne peppers
    • 5 cloves of Garlic
    • 2 Medium Tomatoes
    • 1 cup chopped, Carrots
    • 1 lime, Juiced
    • 1 tbsp, white pepper
    • 1 tbsp, black pepper
    • 2 tbsp, paprika
    • 1 tbsp smoked paprika
    • ½ tbsp. cumin
    • 1 tsp Salt to taste

• 1 cup Mangos
    • 1 cup Pineapple
    • 1 cup peaches

That doesn’t sound like hot sauce. That sounds like 🔥 in a jar!
  • DWBalboa

Daves’ insane hot sauce.

• 6 jalapeno peppers
    • 6 Habanero peppers
    • 10 cayenne peppers
    • 5 cloves of Garlic
    • 2 Medium Tomatoes
    • 1 cup chopped, Carrots
    • 1 lime, Juiced
    • 1 tbsp, white pepper
    • 1 tbsp, black pepper
    • 2 tbsp, paprika
    • 1 tbsp smoked paprika
    • ½ tbsp. cumin
    • 1 tsp Salt to taste

• 1 cup Mangos
    • 1 cup Pineapple
    • 1 cup peaches

That doesn’t sound like hot sauce. That sounds like 🔥 in a jar!

Its known to burn both ways. 😁
  • DWBalboa
    tmantwo wrote: »

I’m working my way through a bottle of Dave’s now.

Not that you need this reminder, but to others who have not messed with peppers... when the Ball Blue Book says to wear gloves, wear gloves.

Being the man I was, I didn’t need to wear no stinking gloves the first time I canned peppers.

It’s been a minute or two so I forget all the peppers I canned but the jalapeños I left on the vine until they went red and cracked, there were birds eye peppers, and a bunch of others. Quarts upon quarts of peppers. Peppers over 100k scoville.

Long story short, that night, when I took my contacts out it burned for a minute or three. The next day, after my contacts had soaked in saline and hot pepper oil, i tossed one in and it was like going into the gas chamber or being pepper sprayed again. 9 out of 10 I do not recommend.

Yes, thank you for the reminder.
    IMPORTANT NOTE TO ALL!
    Wear gloves when handling the peppers.
  • DWBalboa
    tmantwo wrote: »

That is wonderful.

Any time I can find a box of Critical Duty or Critical Defense I buy it regardless of the cost. For the range I reload. It's crazy hard trying to find .223/5.56, 9mm, etc. I've got a hundred 9mm JHP to load but I'd rather have the Hornady ammo in the carry pistol.

That sucks. Maybe it's my part of Va, but the shelves are stocked here.
    I have 9 mm .357, .40 s&w, .44mag, .308, 30-30, 30-06 and never have an issue finding ammo.
    I know my buddy seems to find ammo for his AR regularly as well.
    Y'all should come on down to Va. 😉