Yoga with Adriene fans

Replies

• dragon_girl26
    dragon_girl26 Posts: 2,187 Member
    I's definitely a change of pace @dragon_girl26 - you have to be quite canny at watching him. I could do YWA with my eyes closed cos she was so good at saying what movement came next. Tim - not so much. And faster too - not Ashtanga fast but defo faster than Adriene.

I tried YWT last night and you're right...definitely a shift from Adriene's style. I enjoy the slightly faster pace, though, since my former yoga teacher used to teach that way (before she moved and I'm still sad about it). I like his descriptions of form, too, but miss a bit of Adriene's humor.
  • skinnyrev2b
    skinnyrev2b Posts: 400 Member
    Yeah, I know what you mean about the humour. Occasionally he cracks a 'Dad joke' which is pretty groan worthy... but generally it's more 'getting down to business'. He really gets into the vinyasa/Ashtanga flow by day 8... watch out for that if you carry on.
  • tmbg1
    tmbg1 Posts: 1,271 Member
    I did a YWA called "deep stretch" yesterday and it was amazing!
  • skinnyrev2b
    tmbg1 wrote: »
    I did a YWA called "deep stretch" yesterday and it was amazing!

I LOVE yin yoga. I really should do more of it.
    I'd been looking to do some bedtime/wind-down stretching, and was glad to come across the recommendation for Adriene.... I've enjoyed the slow, quiet 10-20 minute bedtime sessions to help clear my head and feel more relaxed.

Nice one @reversemigration ! I'm no expert at all, but I'm thinking that yoga ought to be less a 'work out' session in our heads, and more an act of self care... sounds like you're a convert to that philosophy, whilst I'm still very much in that mindset of 'how many calories can I burn to later eat back...'!
  • L1zardQueen
    L1zardQueen Posts: 8,754 Member
    Finished day 9. Abs still sore from day8.
  • skinnyrev2b
    Day...? Dunno actually! Think it was day 10. Nice flow. Couldn't hold side plank on my left for some reason. The other pose I fell out of was eagle into warrior 3. That was also my left, come to think of it... :| Ah well. Guess that's what I gotta work on.
  • skinnyrev2b
    Day 11 done. Oooph, properly sweaty one. Girly model on there today was a) seriously skinny and b) seriously flexible. One day I *might* get close to her pose and flexibility.
  • reversemigration
    reversemigration Posts: 168 Member
    I'm no expert at all, but I'm thinking that yoga ought to be less a 'work out' session in our heads, and more an act of self care... sounds like you're a convert to that philosophy, whilst I'm still very much in that mindset of 'how many calories can I burn to later eat back...'!

Oh, I still share in that mindset - that's what the 30 minutes on the treadmill is for. :grin:
  • donidaily
    donidaily Posts: 825 Member
    Taking a few days of just picking my own videos (Breath had a lot of work on the wrists and shoulders) but like you @seltzermint555 I'm thinking I will start up another 30 day calendar soon. Either Breath again or maybe Dedicate, which I have never done. Home, from last year, is lovely too!

I'm joining a live zoom class with Adriene on Saturday, 75 minutes! I'm so excited. I just happened to be online when they announced it so I pounced on the ticket!
  • skinnyrev2b
    I went for a longish walk with the OH this afternoon, as per usual. I normally yoga afterwards, really missed it today, so snuck in a blanket yoga session with Adriene. Funny - I've really missed her lighthearted style...
  • spiriteagle99
    spiriteagle99 Posts: 3,675 Member
    I have enjoyed doing Yoga with Adriene but don't really feel like I've made any progress after 27 days. Some days are too laid back and some go too fast for someone like me who is not very strong or flexible. I usually do yoga after running, so can end up with some spectacular cramps when my legs are tight and there hasn't been much warmup. Shoveling more than a foot of snow this week hasn't helped. I think I need to try a more beginner level so I can develop some flexibility first before I try to do more advanced moves.
  • skinnyrev2b
    edited February 2021
    I found a yoga for beginners program really helpful for me in beginning. It was a Texan girly, same town as Adriene, but her channel didn't take off in the same way.. if I can find it, I'll edit the post to bookmark it. (And here it is: https://youtu.be/SZA2C1N95Os ) Otherwise I'm sure google is your friend for other beginner practices.
    Otherwise, you could always go for YWT'S 7 day foundation course I started above...

And in other news - I DID CHATURANGA!!! go me! Day 12, and it seems to be coming together.
  • skinnyrev2b
    Today's YWT involved a tennis ball (which I'd have to fight the dog over) and a foam roller- which I don't have. So I made up my own session.
    Practiced all three warrior poses, plus reverse and triangle, plough (plow?) pose, chaturanga (not working for me today. Ah well. And crow. Beginning to get to grips with crow. But I think I may have overdone it. A little sore now. I've ordered a wheel, so looking forward to trying that tomorrow.
  • L1zardQueen
    L1zardQueen Posts: 8,754 Member
    Ah cool, she uses a wheel. I just got one but I, so far, don’t like it. Lol. Maybe her guidance will be better. I hope. Do let us know.
  • hopnic7
    hopnic7 Posts: 1 Member
    Yoga with Adriene is what gave me the confidence to do yoga in my own at home. She is so normal, that it makes you feel comfortable at any level. I try a different video every morning, but I definitely have my favorites. There are so many to choose from, you can always find one to fit your mood and level of motivation.
  • skinnyrev2b
    YWT today, and then a yoga with 'Candance' using the wheel. Hum... not entirely convinced. I couldn't really use it for the practice with Tim (who was using a foam roller and a tennis ball (had to fight off the dog for the latter!) and tbh, YWC's wheel for beginner program was a little meh. Will try again over the next few days. Happy yoga-ing!
  • tmbg1
    tmbg1 Posts: 1,271 Member
    I did adriene's peaceful warrior today - it was lovely!