What Was Your Work Out Today?

Replies

• BeachBodyondemand MBFa day 18 core circuit, FitOn upper body muscle maker, FitOn lower body lift. Total 75 minutes.
  • Djproulx
    Djproulx Posts: 3,084 Member
    Bike work today. one hour with Tempo Bursts (12)

10 min, various warmup outputs, then:
    4x 2min@175w, 5 sec burst 500w
    5 min @145 w
    4 x 2min@175w, 5 sec burst 500w
    5 min @145w
    4x 2min@175w, 5 sec burst 500w
    10 min 125w
    6 min ez spin cooldown 100w

Longer indoor ride set for tomorrow.
  • amorfati601070
    amorfati601070 Posts: 2,855 Member
    Out in the hills

2m4yn8hdp2gp.jpeg
  • JDMac82
    JDMac82 Posts: 3,192 Member
    Arc Trainer and Moving snow, 2 driveways
  • JessAndreia
    JessAndreia Posts: 540 Member
    Incline dumbbell bench press
    One arm dumbbell rows
    Shoulder press
    Dumbbell squats
    Stability ball leg curls
  • mytyglotz
    mytyglotz Posts: 1,804 Member
    Another 3 mile walk today - less than 45 minutes.

but I ought to be grateful for that - even as a small victory.
    Plus, I seem to be able to breathe more easily now.

God, please keep the healing coming. Teach my heart to be filled will gratitude and joy.
  • drmwc
    drmwc Posts: 972 Member
    edited February 2021
    I went round my little brother's, and got a climb in on his wall. It was good - I actually got harder climbs after an hour than at the start. Normally I get pumped quite fast on woodys (or is the plural of woody woodies?), but this time my endurance was good.

I ended up on 22,000 steps, so it was a pretty good day.

It's started to snow, so I'm not sure when my next climb will be.
  • Djproulx
    Indoor trainer ride yesterday in my daughter's unheated basement: BRRRR! My feet were frozen at the end!
    2:12:00 Total duration. Starting to build some endurance into the plan. Warmup cadence and single leg pedaling drills, then 1:50:00 done at 145-155w, which is my "ride all day" output.

Sundays are swim/run days. Had a fun 1:35:00 run through snowy roads. Mostly EZ pace with 2 descending intervals thrown in. Each was 20 min block getting faster every 5min. Pool swim this afternoon. 2300 yds, focus is on 100s in descending intervals.

Only 235 days until race day, so every day counts. :)
  • JessAndreia
    Row 500m X 4 paired with decline bench sit-ups.
  • MikePfirrman
    MikePfirrman Posts: 3,307 Member
    edited February 2021
    Did a 5500 X 2 row yesterday. Capped at 70% HRR. Paces for the first and second getting closer. First time I did it was like 3 seconds apart. Yesterday, was under 1 second difference on pace.

Was a lovely morning, though chilly. Put the rower out where the morning sunshine would hit it as I rowed, fed the birds in the feeder and watched Gambel Quails, Mourning Doves, a few pigeons and some woodpeckers and Humming Birds swoop in and out. A Cooper's Hawk flew in and sat and watched me for a while.
  • JDMac82
    JDMac82 Posts: 3,192 Member
    🪨 & 🦾

15 min's Arc Trainer
    15 KBell Swing
    10 Squat Press
    15 Pull-ups
    50 Sit-ups

10/8/6/4
    Mil Press
    Bicep Curls
    Front Raises
    Overhead Press
    Lateral Raises
    Waiter Curls
    Rear Delts
    Tricep Ext
    Hammer Curls
    Upright Row
    Rev Grip Ext

Sinister Abs (60 reps)
    Hanging Leg Raises/Cable Crunches/Supine Bike/Flutter Kicks/Rev Crunches/Crunches/Knee Tucks
  • MikePfirrman
    edited February 2021
    Did 5500 row machine today capped at 70% max HR (not HRR). Was talking a guy that I have a lot of respect for in the indoor rowing world (he's a World Record holder and just broke the UK record for a half marathon for over 60 -- he's a 63 year old lightweight). He wondered why I had started doing 70% HRR instead of 70% HR max, which is what he trains steady state at, and has had tremendous success there. When I told him it's that I regressed last year, he firmly believes it's all in my strength and I just need to get back to serious weight training and pushing hard on my hard days.

He averaged a 1:54.7 pace for a half marathon at 63 (he weighs around 165), so he definitely knows what he's talking about. That's around a 231 Watt pace on the rower, for roughly 80 minutes, which is insane. Usually rowers can hold 20% to 30% more watts on the bike, for some perspective. I will never be in his league but it was good to hear a different side of this. He also feels, with more time, I'll drop pace for the same effort, especially with more weights.
  • drmwc
    edited February 2021
    I did an 8 mile walk yesterday, then an hour of yoga, and finally leg day.
    I squatted 80 kgs for 2 sets of 5, and then 1 set of 14 AMRAP at RPE 10.
    I then deadlifted 110 kgs for 2 sets of 6.

Today, I did a shorter walk (probably 6 miles). In the evening, I did 3 sets of 5 goblet squats with the 32 kgs kettle bell, and then 100 swings with the 24 kgs. I then had to stop for an hour due to agreeing to go on a friend's Twitch stream. I will do half an hour's hangboarding to finish.

My weights and hang board are in my shed. It is damn cold in there at the moment (-4 centigrade.) I start each day with a cold shower, and that is kind of unpleasant when it is thus cold as well.
  • Djproulx
    He averaged a 1:54.7 pace for a half marathon at 63 (he weighs around 165), so he definitely knows what he's talking about. That's around a 231 Watt pace on the rower, for roughly 80 minutes, which is insane. Usually rowers can hold 20% to 30% more watts on the bike, for some perspective. I will never be in his league but it was good to hear a different side of this. He also feels, with more time, I'll drop pace for the same effort, especially with more weights.

I'm not familiar with the nuances of rowing, but if I"m reading this right, you're saying this guy's effort equates to a bike output of roughly 290 watts for 80 minutes?? That's incredible. Wow.

Thank God its a rest day for me, cause I'm exhausted just thinking about this. :)
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 31,724 Member
    Djproulx wrote: »

I'm not familiar with the nuances of rowing, but if I"m reading this right, you're saying this guy's effort equates to a bike output of roughly 290 watts for 80 minutes?? That's incredible. Wow.

Thank God its a rest day for me, cause I'm exhausted just thinking about this. :)

It's fairly close to the world record time for that demographic (1:18:42.0), so pretty elite level, FWIW.
  • drmwc
    I extended my hangboarding last night, to add in some weighted pull ups. I got +40 kgs, which I'm happy with. (I lost 25 kgs in my diet a couple of years ago, and I could do pull ups when I was larger, but they were really hard. This result implies my pulling strength is at least equal to back then.)
  • MikePfirrman
    edited February 2021
    Djproulx wrote: »

Some of the rowers in my club are super elite athletes. I'm not. Carol, this guy's wife, actually holds more records than he does. She broke the over 60 marathon record, averaging around 91 or 92% max HR and usually rows at a Drag factor of around 130, which for any female, is just insanely strong.

A lot of rowers can hold over 280 to 300 Watts for an hour or more on the bike. Just a couple of years ago, I was holding 245 for an hour. I still think I could hold close to 240 now. Nearly all the rowers in my group regularly bike as well. Biking is easier for them overall. Rod, the guy I'm talking about, was an elite Masters track and field athlete as well. This was him just last year setting the 100K over 60 World Record. His time for that is absolutely bonkers. Rod actually switched teams last year and isn't in my club, but we stay in touch and talk regularly.

https://www.britishrowing.org/2020/09/rod-chinn-sets-new-world-record-for-100km-in-mens-60-69-lightweight-category/

When Josh Dunkley Smith broke the 2K WR a few years ago at 5:35, he averaged around 574 Watts the entire five and a half minutes.
  • Djproulx
    A lot of rowers can hold over 280 to 300 Watts for an hour or more on the bike. Just a couple of years ago, I was holding 245 for an hour. I still think I could hold close to 240 now. Nearly all the rowers in my group regularly bike as well. Biking is easier for them overall.

I hadn't thought about it before, but it makes sense that a total core/posterior chain training regimen like rowing would result in gains in related disciplines like cycling. As a data point, output levels in the 280-300watt range would be typical of a strong cyclist and/or triathlete. If memory serves me, pro triathlete Lionel Sanders, a strong cyclist, will often ride at around 280 watts, with surges to 330watts over a 4 hour Ironman bike split.

So this new knowledge just reinforces my preconceived notion that rowing is too much hard work, so I'll stick to s/b/r, lol!

• Djproulx
    Swim session this morning: 2100 yds focused on various breathing techniques.
    Bilateral breathing on 3/5/7 strokes, as well as practicing breathing on my "off side" (right) when conditions call for it, such as in rough water or race conditions.

EZ paced 45 minute recovery run tonight.
  • JessAndreia
    Morning - 2k row

Afternoon
    Dumbbell lunges
    Dumbbell squats
    Stability ball leg curls
    Dumbbell bench press
    One arm dumbbell rows
    Dumbbell shoulder press