need low-FodMap compliant ideas for Lent

We will be seeing my MIL over President's week. We have assessed the Covid risks & are OK with our choice.

MIL suffers from IBS so I want to cook things that won't irritate her stomach. I'm just learning about low-FodMap & it's so different from my usual diet. I love things like broccoli, beans, cheese, dairy, pasta & garlic which are big no nos. Gluten free is preferred on this diet. Usually I just make chicken. But it will be the 1st week of Lent meaning there must be 2 meatless days & I hate fish.

I'm planning a vegetable soup for 1 night but would welcome some more ideas. Thanks in advance.

Replies

• SuzySunshine99
    SuzySunshine99 Posts: 2,983 Member
    edited February 2021
    My husband has had to follow a low-FODMAP diet for a while to sort out his stomach issues.

Gluten-free is a good start. If you are used to making pastas, I have found that the gluten-free dried pasta tastes exactly the same as wheat-based pasta. You can add low-fodmap vegetables for a meat-free meal.

Rice-based dishes are good...stir-frys and risottos can be made without meat.

You don't like fish....does that include shrimp?

Be sure to pick the right vegetables...it was hard for us to abandon some of out favorites like brussels sprouts and asparagus. We eat a lot of zucchini and other squash, green beans, and carrots.

The absolute hardest thing for me is leaving out onions and garlic. You have to really amp up other seasonings to account for their absence. Herbs like basil, oregano, thyme, and rosemary help add flavor.

Hopefully, your MIL figures out which foods on the FODMAP list she CAN eat. My husband has found that he's okay with small amounts of cheese, and broccoli if it's cooked enough. Most people don't have to avoid everything on that list for the rest of their lives...they just need to figure out their triggers.
  • Trish1c
    Trish1c Posts: 549 Member
    I didn't realize rice was OK. That makes things much easier. I can make a nice risotto! Thanks!