Stationary bike help

2»

Replies

• 33gail33
    33gail33 Posts: 1,155 Member
    I ended up ordering the lower end Echelon for $700. I couldn't find one in my price range that had magnetic resistance and a heavy flywheel, and was in stock any time soon, so I went with the magnetic resistance and the lighter flywheel. I didn't want to mess with the maintenance of direct contact resistance. This one had great reviews for the price and supposedly the perimeter weighted flywheel is very good even for the lighter weight. Maybe I will upgrade if/when I get more intense about it. :)
  • 33gail33
    33gail33 wrote: »
    just not sure if I want to go with the manual resistance on the Schwinn

Schwinn are good bikes, I have manual resistance I believe (where you turn the knob yourself) and its fine. Gives me really good control :)

Sorry I meant direct contact vs. magnetic resistance on actual flywheel. I didn't say that clearly enough, manual resistance adjustment is fine for me. :)
  • ClaireBri74
    ClaireBri74 Posts: 84 Member
    I ended up ordering the lower end Echelon for $700.

Enjoy it when it arrives :)

• barefootbridgey
    barefootbridgey Posts: 81 Member
    edited February 2021
    sgt1372 wrote: »
    Although I hated indoor cycling I did buy a spin bike as I liked the calorie burn but had never enjoyed a spin class. When it arrived I tried loads of different apps to follow a class. Then I found the trip(Les Mills on Demand). OMG I work out with that. Upper and lower body.

It takes you on a strange journey with a 'road' through weird worlds. You go up and down (change resistance), fast / slow (move legs more) and then on windy and upside down bits (its hard to explain). I get off with a full body work out. Legs are obvious but also abbs, shoulders, Biceps and a bit of triceps. This all the changes in you body position and turning with the road I started to work everything :)

YES. AGREE. I've had a Les Mills subcription for about a year and bought a low end/low cost/but with good reviews spin bike on Amazon just because I wanted to try the cycling programs (they have 3) and didn't know if I would stick with it enough to spend more money. The Trip is great. Its everything she says above. It's almost like riding in a video game or something. I would DEFINITELY suggest giving it a shot. I do Les Mills Sprint also, which is like a HIIT spin class, but it's definitely not as fun as The Trip
  • ClaireBri74
    ClaireBri74 Posts: 84 Member
    I do Les Mills Sprint also, which is like a HIIT spin class, but it's definitely not as fun as The Trip

Kudos - I really struggle with spint. I have manage 10 a few times but I don't have the heart in it like trip. How are you finding 22? I puked the first time I tried it lol think that is the hardest one for me. Great fun but a killer!
  • barefootbridgey
    I do Les Mills Sprint also, which is like a HIIT spin class, but it's definitely not as fun as The Trip

Kudos - I really struggle with spint. I have manage 10 a few times but I don't have the heart in it like trip. How are you finding 22? I puked the first time I tried it lol think that is the hardest one for me. Great fun but a killer!

I started doing Sprint only because I'd finish the Trip and be all amped up like I could do another track still..so I'd do a 5 or 6 minute Sprint track. And literally the ONLY reason I ever opted to do an entire Sprint workout was because I realized they are only 30 minutes. LOL. I lift before I bike and sometimes I run out of time...so 30 minutes is a nice little add on. the more I do it, the more I like it. It destroys me, completely, but it's sort of one of those things where I know that while I'm being destroyed, I'm going to get a (very) break eventually, whereas sometimes I feel like Trip just wants me to die a slow, painful death. LOL. But i do love the Trip.

22 destroyed me. As they all do. :)
  • 33gail33
    edited February 2021
    Update: Very happy that I posted here and got the spin bike instead of the upright stationary bike. I've tried several youtube workouts, and use the free app for tracking. It is such a better workout than I was getting on my old bike. When I use the spin bike, and then do my upper body weights routine, I feel like it is actually "enough". When I had to stop running and switch to the bike it never felt like "enough" to me, so I am super happy with this!
  • MikePfirrman
    MikePfirrman Posts: 3,307 Member
    Super happy for you! That's great. Nice to have follow up and hear a happy ending!
  • dragon_girl26
    dragon_girl26 Posts: 2,187 Member

Excited to see other people commenting about LMOD. I love the other LM workout programs but don't have equipment to do the Trip/Sprint programs. I've been anxious to try it so it's good to see that people enjoy it. Now I just need to scare up the right bike for it! :)
  • dragon_girl26
    dragon_girl26 Posts: 2,187 Member
    Update: Very happy that I posted here and got the spin bike instead of the upright stationary bike. I've tried several youtube workouts, and use the free app for tracking. It is such a better workout than I was getting on my old bike. When I use the spin bike, and then do my upper body weights routine, I feel like it is actually "enough". When I had to stop running and switch to the bike it never felt like "enough" to me, so I am super happy with this!

Glad you found something that works well for you!
  • 33gail33
    I’m gonna have to get a small tv to cast my workouts to. I am ridiculously far sighted and unless I wear my glasses (which I can’t because sweating) I can’t see the screen that close on the handlebars. I can’t be the only one with this problem? Lol
  • Jennliftsandspins
    Jennliftsandspins Posts: 150 Member
    edited February 2021
    I have a Sole SB900. According to reviews (I did extensive research before choosing a bike) it’s better quality than a Peleton or Echelon for 1/3 of the price of a Peleton. They also have older models like the SB700 for less.

The only negative (according to reviews, not to me) is it doesn’t have a big screen and app. It does have a tablet/phone holder. I use YouTube (on my tv) for my spin workouts.

I find it extremely comfortable, quiet and easy to use. I used to hate stationary biking and now love it.

Edit: @33gail33 I see you got one! Great! My favourite Youtuber is Kaleigh Cohen Fitness.
  • 33gail33

Edit: @33gail33 I see you got one! Great! My favourite Youtuber is Kaleigh Cohen Fitness.

Her's are actually the workouts I have been using!
  • barefootbridgey

Excited to see other people commenting about LMOD. I love the other LM workout programs but don't have equipment to do the Trip/Sprint programs. I've been anxious to try it so it's good to see that people enjoy it. Now I just need to scare up the right bike for it! :)

You know, I did the same thing. lol. Did Body Pump, Combat, Attack and CXWORX (or I guess its now called Les Mills Core or something?) for a whole year and just eyed those bike programs and never even seriously considered buying bike until recently. I had a few extra hundred dollars and jumped in. Ive been VERY happy with them. I don't love RPM (even though Dan's over there doing his RPM thing), but it's not terrible. Sprint and The Trip are totally worth buying the bike for. Sprint might be the best 30 minute workout I've ever done. It KILLS me. I lift also, and I feel like the bike is a really nice complement to it.

As a sidenote. LMOD was down the other night for some reason and it was bike night. I tried to do like, 3 or 4 different youtube bike workouts instead and couldnt make it through 5 minutes in any of them. Not because they were hard either, they were just really boring and lame.