The official nightshift thread....

Replies

• canadjineh
    canadjineh Posts: 5,396 Member
    Nice to see that there are notifications coming up on my feed again. Not sure why no connections were happening, but I suppose MFP is always tinkering around with the site anyhow. Yeah, I have edged up slowly over this year (weightwise) and need to get back to logging my food (which I hate because it seems like I have to live on this site to do that) and less of the 'soothing myself' sorts of foods (lots of cheese and tortilla chips mainly.) Hubby has been out snowshoeing while I'm at work (day shift) but we haven't had much precipitation so could use more snow. I need to get myself out of doors more for fun stuff, but I am at least enjoying my brisk walks home from work on Sundays since he has to leave with the car for his security shift before I finish. I have a flashlight and wear a flashing reflective yellow vest so I don't get hit in the dark (built in red LED's that blink or stay steady depending on the program you choose on the battery pack.) My brother used to use it when he worked as a tow truck operator for a short while, then I inherited it.
  • sufferlandrian
    sufferlandrian Posts: 8,166 Member
    I can’t believe how many tow truck drivers get killed every year! With that many flashing lights you wouldn’t think it was possible but it is amazing how many get killed.
  • canadjineh
    It's because people are actually gawking at the accident scene, or trying to figure out if they know the person with the car troubles that needs a tow.... they aren't looking at anything else - including the tow truck drivers.
    It has been so amazingly YUCK for the past few days... highs of 8C with nighttime temps just below freezing. Very scary on the roads! And today pouring rain interspersed with wet snow showers at 2C. We still have some snow, in fact before this mess we had a good dump and it was lovely, I hoped to get out and play in it. Now it's still there but holding loads of water, it's mainly just stacked up slush. Kind of like the picture below, but deeper.
    Hope you are doing OK in your 'neck of the woods.'
    u4kr2qgb7yw4.png

• sufferlandrian
    Kind of the same story here. It's been sitting around 5C for highs and getting down to about -4C for lows. We are getting rain on top of the snow we received around christmas time but it's washing it away down here in the valleys. We're getting really nice snow up in the mountains but I don't have any time to get up there to play.
  • canadjineh
    Every night at work, it's a mop-up mess. Customers coming in with mucky boots makes for a bit of a sloppy sandy muddy mess, and the past few days I've been on second shift/closing. If we had real snow, at least it would mainly just be water. Gross.
    3ieo9fer18t5.png

• sufferlandrian
    I hear you there. This warm weather were it freezes at night and rains during the day is starting to get to me. If I wanted rainy wet weather I would have moved back to Seattle.
  • Kindhearts30
    Kindhearts30 Posts: 1,723 Member
    ijgbvxdlivxh.gif
  • canadjineh
    Nice thing about the new job is that I get to walk home from work since it's only just over 2km from my place. Enforced exercise, because after years of teaching fitness classes, and training physio clients I don't ever want to go to a class or hit a gym again. Solitary sports in nature is actually more my style. Also too busy at work to snack, so my waist has already lost two notches worth on my belt. Looking forward to getting back into the vast majority of my huge clothes closets. I refuse to waste money buying bigger sizes again.
  • sufferlandrian
    I'm starting to wear out some of my older cycling gear. I've got two jackets at home that are still in good shape but I've worn out the zippers. I didn't think it would be that hard to find a place to replace a zipper in a coat.
  • sufferlandrian
    Yeah! I’m off tonight. Time to make Swiss cheese chicken and a good salad.
  • sean_ct
    sean_ct Posts: 519 Member
    It's so dark, sometimes.
  • sufferlandrian
    Usually the cloud cover means it’s brighter at night. Not tonight
  • sufferlandrian
    First single digit commute of the year. 8.6 degrees F this morning going home. Glad I had extra gear. It was really nice with no wind. :smile:
  • sufferlandrian
    Wow, I think this thread died. I feel like that episode of twilight zone where the guy is the last man on earth so he has all the time in the world to read books. However, he trips and breaks his glasses. 😧😉
  • canadjineh
    Ahhh, @sufferlandrian you aren't the last one left, lol. I just haven't been on the forum for quite a while. I am working fulltime and actually extra days (10 in a row) so that my coworkers and I can flip days when our relatives that we are taking care of need help. I also got the Moderna Covid19 vaccine (first shot) just over a week ago, and waiting on my 2nd dose. The past couple weeks have been strangely warm, the opposite temperatures from yours. A couple days ago it was sunny and 8C. Felt almost like spring. This week we are expecting -15C as a high midweek. My whole wardrobe is laying out across the bedroom chairs since I never quite know what to put on when I get up. Longjohns, or shorts? Hahaha - I feel a bit like I'm going crazy.
    Still slowly losing weight to fit back into my fun clothes. If I can stay away from the chunks of cheese and good alcohol when I kick back after work.
  • sufferlandrian
    I just can't seem to drop weight this year. I'm biking to work. I'm eating so many salads that if I eat dental floss, the foliage will probably come out as miniature round bales. I've been to the doctor twice to see if something is wrong why I can't lose weight. He says it's just stress. I may have to take up drinking for stress relief. Fortunately I have a break coming up next week so I'll try to relax and get the dogs out on the trails more. We're getting some good snow now and it might be fun out on the fat tire away from everything.
  • Kindhearts30
    Kindhearts30 Posts: 1,723 Member
    bp7vdgwrmdoh.gif
  • sufferlandrian
    LOL. Yep. I can relate.
  • sufferlandrian
    Just finished a string of 14 hour shifts. Now I’m off tonight but I can’t sleep. Oh well.
  • canadjineh
    Hi everyone! Wow it's been a whole month since I was on here. Time goes fast! Still busy taking care of parents, whew, more lab work for both, and an ultrasound for Dad to check liver health, all the annual meds and conditions updates with their doc. Plus next month eye health exams that haven't been done for a while. If that isn't enough, hubby has two surgeries he needs to get in for, the first one is scheduled for this coming Friday (will be staying in hospital for a couple days post-procedure), then once he is all healed up the second reconstructive surgery needs to be scheduled. We are hoping it all gets done this year since obviously we aren't about to travel anywhere until next year.
    In the meantime our home insurance decided not to cover us unless we got a new hot water tank/heater. The old one still worked fine, but since it was 36 years old (!) it was waaaay past the normal life span. We lucked out by bidding on a local auction site for our outdoor trail alliance fundraiser. Won the bid, price was just slightly less than what we researched, but all the money went to trail improvements (hiking, cycling, x-c skiing, snowshoeing, horseback riding) in our local area. So a win-win, since we usually donate a certificate for our business services toward the auction every year. They just finished the job yesterday so our house is in a bit of a mess (storage stuff spread all over that needs to go back) from making the tank and area more accessible for the technician.

Gorgeous sunny day (15C) - spring feels like it's finally coming, but of course it's still a muddy mess in the fields alongside the road. I'd love to take some photos of the gorgeous swans who hang out here enroute to their northern breeding grounds but they never seem to land on something green, lol. It's always the brown mucky fields they frequent - I guess that's where the yummy bugs are. I'll need to learn how to photoshop green over the brown mud - a post production job, lol.
    Redwing blackbirds have been back for a while and I just love to hear their song coming from the pond out back. It just makes my heart happy.
    Hope things are going along well for everyone.