"Toning" is a deception

Replies

• ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,488 Member
    Great contribution.

Only beef is your handle.

(Go Hawks!)

:smile:
    Ah, well let's see if we can beat the Ravens this week! Our last meeting was the best game of the year so far and looking forward to game 16!

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

• ninerbuff
    Bump of another zombie thread
  • LoveyChar
    LoveyChar Posts: 4,335 Member
    edited February 2021
    I'm hoping to get some chiseling or sculpting in this week 😂. But I'll still call it toning because like a fine instrument, I want to be toned.
  • WandRsmom
    WandRsmom Posts: 253 Member
    I always kinda giggle at "toned", personally. This thread was an interesting read.

I remember older ppl saying to me " you just want to be toned not muscular". I guess because I was a woman. And I just sort of scratched my head at that when I was very young. Now that I lift and some of those ppl still have that mindset I say flat out, I lift heavy because I like to. I like my muscle weather it's *toned* or not I don't care. I don't use that word myself, though. I am muscular. Period. 🤷🤷.

Great thread. Thanks for reviving.
  • ninerbuff
    WandRsmom wrote: »
    I always kinda giggle at "toned", personally. This thread was an interesting read.

I remember older ppl saying to me " you just want to be toned not muscular". I guess because I was a woman. And I just sort of scratched my head at that when I was very young. Now that I lift and some of those ppl still have that mindset I say flat out, I lift heavy because I like to. I like my muscle weather it's *toned* or not I don't care. I don't use that word myself, though. I am muscular. Period. 🤷🤷.

Great thread. Thanks for reviving.
    I still get the occasional "what are good toning exercises?" and just bite my tongue so there's no long drawn out discussion. Thanks for reading.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png
  • serapel
    serapel Posts: 502 Member
    ninerbuff wrote: »
    I still get the occasional "what are good toning exercises?" and just bite my tongue so there's no long drawn out discussion. Thanks for reading.

[/quote]

I see no harm in using the word 'tone' as a descriptor of results. It's legitimate term one can use. I've heard men use the term as well for themselves.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    serapel wrote: »

I see no harm in using the word 'tone' as a descriptor of results. It's ILLlegitimate term one can use. I've heard men use the term as well for themselves.
    [/quote]
    Fixed it for you
  • serapel
    ndj1979 wrote: »

I see no harm in using the word 'tone' as a descriptor of results. It's ILLlegitimate term one can use. I've heard men use the term as well for themselves.
    Fixed it for you
    [/quote]

LOL
  • ninerbuff
    edited February 2021

Fixed it for you

LOL
    Lol, if someone said to me "I'm liking my muscle tone!" I'd probably jump in the air and high five them for using "tone" correctly. :D

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

• ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member

Fixed it for you

LOL
    Lol, if someone said to me "I'm liking my muscle tone!" I'd probably jump in the air and high five them for using "tone" correctly. :D

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

Fixed it for you

LOL

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

Fixed it for you

LOL

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

You can either make a muscle stronger or make it grow but I am clueless as to how to tone it...🤷‍♂️
  • ninerbuff
    edited February 2021

• serapel
    edited February 2021

Fixed it for you

LOL

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

I'm liking my muscular, but not defined body....better?
  • ninerbuff

Fixed it for you

LOL

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

You have definition. It's just not a super high degree. When people in the industry start calling you "shredded" or "ripped", they are describing a pretty low bodyfat degree of definition.
    If you have some definition, you can definitely see separation of muscle.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png
  • serapel

Fixed it for you

LOL

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

You have definition. It's just not a super high degree. When people in the industry start calling you "shredded" or "ripped", they are describing a pretty low bodyfat degree of definition.
    If you have some definition, you can definitely see separation of muscle.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

Thank you 😊 I work hard 😓
  • ninerbuff
    Lol, for some reason this appeared on my FB this morning. What's really ironic is she says it works "arms" when the majority of movements directly affect the shoulder and rotator cuff. How in the hell does this woman claim to be a trainer and actually get away with it?
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9nf5VWTKx9g

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

• serapel
    Lol, for some reason this appeared on my FB this morning. What's really ironic is she says it works "arms" when the majority of movements directly affect the shoulder and rotator cuff. How in the hell does this woman claim to be a trainer and actually get away with it?

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

Have you seen Rachael Attard? OMG!! She’s another Tracy Anderson!!!
  • ninerbuff

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

Have you seen Rachael Attard? OMG!! She’s another Tracy Anderson!!!
    No, but now you've peaked my interest.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png