Trying to lose 100 lbs, never been to a gym where do I start?

As title says I'm trying to lose 100 pounds right now I'm at 285 which is the heaviest I've been and its really got me down. I'm looking to go to the gym but I dont even know where to start any help would be appreciated

Replies

• bubus05
    bubus05 Posts: 121 Member
    To lose a 100 lbs is no small task as a matter of fact it is very, very hard. I have dropped roughly 90 in the past eleven months and for me getting prepared mentally for what was coming was the first step. Because it is a rough ride, but worth it. There is a lady over on 'success stories' comment section who posted I think today about losing a 100 lbs with keto+intermittent fasting, I concur. This is the way.
  • summerkylarstar
    summerkylarstar Posts: 3 Member
    I’m just starting out on my 100lbs too. My first step was CrossFit and now I’m on the right path counting calories. I found this app and it’s helped the most with my nutrition. Learn as much as you can. I find the more I know about why I need to do something the more I want to do it. Like protein after workout helps build your muscles. Until I learnt that I didn’t start incorporating protein.
  • Ddsb11
    Ddsb11 Posts: 607 Member
    kshama2001 wrote: »
    I love this graphic from your other thread:
    small changes equal greater success. First start by logging your food. Dont worry about dieting. Just learn how to weigh and measure your food and log it ACCURATELY. This can sometimes help you see trends and identify easy areas to reduce calories.

Dont think about losing 100 pounds. Think about losing 5 or 10. Break everything down into more manageable numbers.

Move more. That doesn't mean hours at the gym, but a walk after dinner, or in the morning. Whenever you can spare the time. You might not be able to walk for long. Thats okay. It DOES get easier. I PROMISE.

I lost 130 pounds. All by starting with small steps. Ive gained back some, mostly during the pandemic (as many of us have) but even now ... I keep it small. If I go over my calories on any given day (and my birthday was this week, so yes, i did on a couple of days). its okay. This week is back to normal. The cake is gone and meals out in celebration are over.

start small.

guckztt0gf3f.jpg

I saved it too!
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,488 Member
    If you're apprehensive about a gym, then get a good trainer for at least one month seeing them 2-3 times a week.
    At the very least you can learn about proper form, and build a base foundation of basic exercise movements.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    kshama2001 wrote: »
    I love this graphic from your other thread:
    small changes equal greater success. First start by logging your food. Dont worry about dieting. Just learn how to weigh and measure your food and log it ACCURATELY. This can sometimes help you see trends and identify easy areas to reduce calories.

Dont think about losing 100 pounds. Think about losing 5 or 10. Break everything down into more manageable numbers.

Move more. That doesn't mean hours at the gym, but a walk after dinner, or in the morning. Whenever you can spare the time. You might not be able to walk for long. Thats okay. It DOES get easier. I PROMISE.

I lost 130 pounds. All by starting with small steps. Ive gained back some, mostly during the pandemic (as many of us have) but even now ... I keep it small. If I go over my calories on any given day (and my birthday was this week, so yes, i did on a couple of days). its okay. This week is back to normal. The cake is gone and meals out in celebration are over.

start small.

guckztt0gf3f.jpg

Thanks.

I figured I replied once and was obviously ignored so I wasn't going to waste my keystrokes on being ignored by the same person for a second time LOL
  • bernadretti
    bernadretti Posts: 4 Member
    Hooray, you've made a decision, I've been there I too lost 100 lbs, years ago. Now today I can say to you : congratulations, now you will make time to be a better you today than yesterday. That's it, that's all. Go slow, be aware, love yourself, God doesn't make junk.
  • jenniferinfl
    jenniferinfl Posts: 456 Member
    Don't start at the gym unless you really, really want to.

When you have 100 lbs to lose, your own body is enough to start out lifting. If you want, you could maybe pick up a couple dumbbells and then follow one of the many videos available on the internet. Start out with dumbbells you can lift over your head at least 7 times. I started out with 20 lb dumbbells. Eventually, if those get too easy, buy a different set and sell your old ones.

Other than that, walk. Walking burns a decent amount of calories when you have 100 lbs to lose. I fit in walking during breaks at work and then in the evenings at home. You don't even have to go that hard, especially when you first start out. I get my 10,000 steps per day and then around 4 miles on a stationary bike. But, if you don't have a stationary bike, it's not a dealbreaker, I actually burn more calories just walking around. I walk around inside my house in air conditioning- I have a route through my livingroom and kitchen and can actually just read a book while walking.. lol Sure, it doesn't get my heart rate up super high, but, it does help me increase my calorie deficit a bit.