Veggie Sides for Tacos

2»

Replies

• erosemiller314
    erosemiller314 Posts: 48 Member
    mfpdlc75 wrote: »
    I create a huge salad (lettuce, toms, cucumber, peppers, celery, red onion) with lime juice and salt as the dressing, then add the taco components (in my case beans, sour cream, cheese and salsa) as the toppings on the salad. I then scoop some into the tortilla, and eat the rest "deconstructed".

I do this as well. Sometimes skipping the tortilla. Sometimes not. But taco "stuff" on top of a salad is one of my favorites!!!
  • acpgee
    acpgee Posts: 7,602 Member
    I made this last night and thought it was terrific. Pairs well with SE Asian food, but I would imagine it works well with Mexican too. You could use cilantro instead of basil and lime instead of lemon for a more Mexican flavour. It's easiest to stick bamboo skewers into red onion before slicing in thick rounds so they hold together on the griddle pan.
    http://chefmichaelsmith.com/recipe/grilled-pineapple-red-onion-salad/
  • rosebarnalice
    rosebarnalice Posts: 3,488 Member
    I love julienned jicama, radishes, and shredded cabbage tossed together with pickled red onions
  • Speakeasy76
    Speakeasy76 Posts: 961 Member
    My go-to for vegetables is to roast them--typically broccoli, Brussels sprouts, cauliflower and asparagus in our house. If it's Taco night, I'll add Mexican spices to them. I actually have a Tex-Mex spice grinder that I use. I also just do some raw veggies with guacamole.
  • hesn92
    hesn92 Posts: 5,967 Member
    edited February 2021
    My tacos are usually some type of bean and some chopped walnuts, which I know is kind of weird, but I like the crunch (I use soft tortillas, not the crunchy ones). Topped with guacamole, pico, cilantro and lime juice. I think that's pretty healthy. I have been on a mango kick so me and my kids will share a mango as well. If I wanted a side, I would probably roast sweet potato, just because I like sweet potatoes lol. I don't really care about my food being "authentic" or anything though.
  • Ronin8033
    Ronin8033 Posts: 4 Member
    I usually make a homemade salsa with fresh tomatoes, onion, peppers (your choice, I use serrano and sometimes habanero), cilantro, a squeeze of lemon, and salt to taste. Then I pile it on my taco. I also like zucchini on the side. Sometimes I'll do bell peppers as well.
  • acpgee
    acpgee Posts: 7,602 Member
    I made Thai pomelo salad last night which I imagine could be nice Mexicanized. Segment a grapefruit or pomelo with a knife, removing all pith and membraine. Mix with some finely sliced red onion, finely sliced chillis, cilantro and mint, grated garlic and lime juice. Optional olive oil and sugar and salt to taste.
  • mcdon22al
    mcdon22al Posts: 1 Member
    I love Calabacitas which someone else also mentioned.
  • natgurl95
    natgurl95 Posts: 17 Member
    I sauté zucchini with taco seasoning on it. Eat it with my tacos, then throw it into a taco salad with the other leftovers the next day.