Precise measurements of food

Okay, so I'm getting diabetes burnout. When I was first diagnosed, man I weighed and measure everything that went into my mouth. As I was learning how to deal with it, and the chronic pancreatitis, my numbers kept going up, then I was put on meds.
Fast forward 8 years, my numbers are kinda steady, but they're higher than my doctor would like. She says that because I can be prone to lows, especially when I exercise, she doesn't mind if my A1C is between 7 and 7.2%.
So here's what I'm wondering about from all of you. Never mind the keto, or paleo diets. I'm just wondering if you still weigh and measure your food or do you just eat healthy and eye ball your portions.
Thoughts?

Replies

• 2t9nty
    2t9nty Posts: 1,572 Member
    I am only four years into the experience, but i weigh, measure and log everything.
  • judyvalentine10
    judyvalentine10 Posts: 65 Member
    2t9nty wrote: »
    I am only four years into the experience, but i weigh, measure and log everything.

That`s pretty much what I do too. I just get so tired of it sometimes. Because I have chronic pancreatitis from a surgery gone wrong, I not only have to watch my carbs, but also the amount of fat I eat. I can be a little daunting sometimes.
    When I do take a break, say one day a week, it sometimes takes a week for my numbers to get back to normal.
    Well, it could be worse I guess.
  • winnie141
    winnie141 Posts: 211 Member
    I don’t weigh everything on a regular basis. About once every 6 months or so I will measure and possibly weigh food for a day or so. Keeps me honest :). Today I measured out my soup (1 cup measurement) I assumed filling the bowl to the top was 1 cup 🤣....nope lol. But I am also incredibly active, I have been running 5km runs for the past year, 10km the year before. This year I plan on training for half a marathon. The point I am trying to make is that because my activity I did not measure out anything (I did not lose weight this past year because of this) but I need a bit of weight off before my training starts hence I am starting to measure it out. So I guess it depends on your goals.
  • sweeetypie1
    sweeetypie1 Posts: 122 Member
    I don't weigh everything all the time anymore. I have a good idea of how much something is, but I do a spot check every now and then to make sure I'm not too far off.
  • judyvalentine10
    tsazani wrote: »
    Ideally I try to measure everything I put into my mouth. But when my carb addiction kicks in watch out!
    I hear ya about the carb addictions. I have a real sweet tooth that will kick in, then all I can think about is chocolate, or some kind of candy.
    I do walk or bike at least 4 times a week. I also do 'races'. I walk 5K's since 2018. That's when I will get lows, when I'm 'training' and drinking lots of water.
    Thanks everyone for your thoughts.
  • Maesneuadd
    Maesneuadd Posts: 61 Member
    Burnout can mean you let monitoring slip. It does for me. However, that is usually the first step brgore I notice my sugars creeping up. I then get a fright and start to be more active in monitoring
  • 2t9nty
    FWIW, I find that it helps me to be strategic. If I keep up with the logging during the day or plan things out, it works out better. If I eat reasonable things and enter it all at the end of the day, I am often over.
  • judyvalentine10
    FWIW, I find that it helps me to be strategic. If I keep up with the logging during the day or plan things out, it works out better. If I eat reasonable things and enter it all at the end of the day, I am often over.

I do log it all at each meal. I weigh and measure everything as well. If not, I blow the day all to hell. I do allow myself one 'free' day, or else I would really go off the deep end.
    By the way, what does FWIW mean?
  • 2t9nty

I do log it all at each meal. I weigh and measure everything as well. If not, I blow the day all to hell. I do allow myself one 'free' day, or else I would really go off the deep end.
    By the way, what does FWIW mean?

"For what it's worth"