Butter substitutes?

124»

Replies

• gigius72
    gigius72 Posts: 183 Member
    edited February 2021
    mpkpbk2015 wrote: »
    gigius72 you missed my point I am saying MY OPINION - FOR ME its HEALTHIER - Rather you think it's valid or not is up to you. I'm out of here this is stupid. Guess I will keep my OPINION to myself. Everyone have a goodnight. And good luck with your weigh lost - I've lost mine.

"Healthier" is not an opinion-based thing. "Tastier" is subjective and so it makes sense to say "It's just my opinion that ghee tastes better."

"Healthier" is an objective term. If we're saying something is "healthier," there needs to be more attached to that than our feelings.

That was my point when I answered to her post.
    When it comes to saturated fat, healthier is an opinion.
    You take diabetic association and still encourage doctors to tell diabetic patients the old diet low carb-high fat/proteins. You look at cardiologist association now they tell their patients the lower saturated fat the better (above all after their president had a heart attack at a convention about 3 years ago).
    There are studies on saturated fat that make it look healthy or unhealthy according to who does the study and how it is done. So eggs, butter, fish and meat go from healthier things on earth to poison... Depending on who you talk to. And they all can quote real studies.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,889 Member
    yellow1111 wrote: »
    Hello! I’ve been tracking for over a year and my husband is FINALLY on board to “try” it..problem is he is super picky, I’ve tried replacing his regular oatmeal with the same flavors but added protein and he tastes the difference immediately. Are there any butter substitutes that taste like butter but will allow his macros to go to other sources (protein, additional calories, fat, etc)?
    The other part to my question is I’ve heard that any butter substitute isn’t good for you, is this true? If butter subs are the lesser of 2 evils, that’s great but if not and I have to use real butter for his food, I’m fine with that, I just know it’s going to take me a long time to figure out how to balance his macros & make it fit. Thank you for any help you can give!!

Not a butter substitute, but for some meals I can sub high-protein, fat-free cottage cheese for some or all of sour cream, salad dressing, mayo, etc.

I also add fat-free cottage cheese for a protein boost to lots of meals.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    gigius72 wrote: »
    mpkpbk2015 wrote: »
    gigius72 you missed my point I am saying MY OPINION - FOR ME its HEALTHIER - Rather you think it's valid or not is up to you. I'm out of here this is stupid. Guess I will keep my OPINION to myself. Everyone have a goodnight. And good luck with your weigh lost - I've lost mine.

"Healthier" is not an opinion-based thing. "Tastier" is subjective and so it makes sense to say "It's just my opinion that ghee tastes better."

"Healthier" is an objective term. If we're saying something is "healthier," there needs to be more attached to that than our feelings.

That was my point when I answered to her post.
    When it comes to saturated fat, healthier is an opinion.
    You take diabetic association and still encourage doctors to tell diabetic patients the old diet low carb-high fat/proteins. You look at cardiologist association now they tell their patients the lower saturated fat the better (above all after their president had a heart attack at a convention about 3 years ago).
    There are studies on saturated fat that make it look healthy or unhealthy according to who does the study and how it is done. So eggs, butter, fish and meat go from healthier things on earth to poison... Depending on who you talk to. And they all can quote real studies.

The fact that some studies are well designed and some aren't is an indication that we need to critically evaluate studies, not that truth doesn't exist.

It may be true that we don't yet have enough information to know some nutritional facts, but that doesn't mean they're unknowable. The proper response to questions for which there isn't good information is "We don't know yet" or "evidence is conflicting."
  • wilson10102018
    wilson10102018 Posts: 1,306 Member
    Sadly, doctors are really no better morally than anyone else. Did I say "sadly?"

it isn't sad its just human nature. 90% of them or something are really fine honest people. The rest range from unfocused on moral issues to malevolent and all points in between. Like lawyers, teacher cops and salesmen.

So when a couple million dollar research grant is up for award by a company that makes its money selling high fructose corn syrup or maltidexrin or saturate fats, or whatnots, you can be there is a medical team more than willing to show how benign or horrible it is. That is why every couple of years these "opinions" flip flop.
  • gigius72
    gigius72 Posts: 183 Member
    edited February 2021
    Sadly, doctors are really no better morally than anyone else. Did I say "sadly?"

it isn't sad its just human nature. 90% of them or something are really fine honest people. The rest range from unfocused on moral issues to malevolent and all points in between. Like lawyers, teacher cops and salesmen.

So when a couple million dollar research grant is up for award by a company that makes its money selling high fructose corn syrup or maltidexrin or saturate fats, or whatnots, you can be there is a medical team more than willing to show how benign or horrible it is. That is why every couple of years these "opinions" flip flop.

They don't even have to cheat. Take the egg study they did a couple of years ago. On the media came out eggs are back, now they are good for you again. In the egg study they actually substitute red meat portion with eggs (I think it was equal calorie).
    So it came out that egg improved the health condition or something like that...I don't remember well. We are talking of same fat, both animal protein... So what was the study about?
    I haven't looked at it yet. But it just came out a study that says nuts are good against cardiac disease... The only thing I know is that it was funded by almond industry.
  • hesn92
    hesn92 Posts: 5,967 Member
    edited February 2021
    Depends what the butter is being used for. You can use a plant based butter, or oil. But they are all equally high in fat and calories, so I don't see that making a difference as far as weight loss goes.

If you're just sauteing with it, you can use water or broth instead to cut out the extra calories.
  • yellow1111
    yellow1111 Posts: 11 Member
    kshama2001 wrote: »
    yellow1111 wrote: »
    Thank you all for your answers! Some were pretty rude to be honest, but for those of you who responded with kindness and helpful content I appreciate it very much and they were very helpful to me!! :) He used to be very active and fit but due to injury he can’t.
    I would like to address the rude comments, I’ve removed many of them....Not that it’s anybody’s business, but my husband is an injured vet and has extremely limited mobility, due to his injuries. Yes, I cook his meals for him, I take him to physical therapy, I care for him after his many back surgeries and I will continue to do so...as the wife of someone who gave his body for our freedoms, it’s the very least I can do. And someone commented he is a “grown *kitten* man who should be taking care of himself” my husband is a grown *kitten* man who gave up his physical freedoms for his country. Please think before you reply with rude comments when you don’t know the backstory, or..maybe don’t reply at all.

Thanks for letting us know, even though you are right, it is none of our business.

I'm a vet, and my physical therapist is married to a vet with PTSD and she's been telling me stories about how they are training a service dog. My dad was a vet too, and both of us liked to sit with our backs to the wall at restaurants. At our favorite restaurant we were able to get a corner table to make us both happy :lol:

I'm somewhat uncomfortable otherwise - my PT's husband is super uncomfortable, but their service-dog-in-training has his back, which I think is lovely.

Thank you for your service!! And thank you to your father and your PT’s husband for their service as well! We have a service dog and he’s amazing! He helps tremendously with minor tasks while I’m at work and he’s a major help with his PTSD as well 😊 it’s really beautiful to watch the bond they’ve formed, he’s definitely beyond a family member 🥰