Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

"Detoxifying food and drinks"

ninerbuff
ninerbuff Posts: 48,482 Member
Straight up.....................it's BS.

Don't fall for it, don't pay for it and certainly don't adhere to a program that touts you're inundated with toxins and need to do it.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
IDEA Fitness member
Kickboxing Certified Instructor
Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

Replies

• Rocinante314
    Rocinante314 Posts: 13 Member
    What are good foods or drinks (natural) that will actually curb your appetite? Is there such a think? I don't crave or even like sweet stuff much, but I love salty fatty meaty stuff. Sometimes I think when I am bored I just eat something heavy to make me like a food high....kind of sleepy. I want to break that. Any suggestions? Thanks!
  • goal06082021
    goal06082021 Posts: 2,130 Member
    +10000

Your liver and kidneys are fully capable of doing all the "detoxing" your body needs. If ever they aren't up to that task, you need immediate medical attention because you are actively in the process of dying, and all the porridge and walnuts or cabbage soup or cayenne-lemon water or whatever in the world will not help you.
  • L1zardQueen
    L1zardQueen Posts: 8,754 Member
    nic123jdb wrote: »
    What are good foods or drinks (natural) that will actually curb your appetite? Is there such a think? I don't crave or even like sweet stuff much, but I love salty fatty meaty stuff. Sometimes I think when I am bored I just eat something heavy to make me like a food high....kind of sleepy. I want to break that. Any suggestions? Thanks!

Coffee for me. You need to figure out what works for you.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    If you need a detox go to the dr because it means your liver and kidneys have stopped working...
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    I miss woo.

🤣🤣🤣🤣

Woo woo child?
  • corinasue1143
    corinasue1143 Posts: 7,467 Member

That’s me! If I’m just bored, 4 almonds eaten one at a time hits the spot. If it’s hunger, that’s a whole different thing.
  • mariamsmb1
    mariamsmb1 Posts: 19 Member
    Our liver and kidneys detoxify our bodies. The best thing we can do is try to avoid extra toxins, chemicals, pollutants, mercury, etc.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 31,935 Member

Very, very individual. Maybe even situational. Experiment.

If bored, hobby (especially one that requires clean hands like needlework or sketching, or creates dirty ones like carpentry or gardening). Could be getting more or better quality sleep the night before. Could be stress management. Could be hydration . . . different food timing . . . changes in macronutrient levels . . . more food volume at same calories . . . distraction . . . new good habit to replace old negative one . . . more exercise . . . less exercise . . . different type or intensity of exercise . . . nap . . . meditation . . . specific food choices . . . not trying to lose weight silly-fast . . . and others.

Use your food diary, review to notice patterns of when or under what circumstances you feel more crave-y or less so. Revise plans accordingly.
  • ninerbuff
    mariamsmb1 wrote: »
    Our liver and kidneys detoxify our bodies. The best thing we can do is try to avoid extra toxins, chemicals, pollutants, mercury, etc.
    I think where people may get confused is that we actually do have some chemicals in our bodies that if overdose BECOMES TOXIC. For example iodine. 150 micrograms for men is recommended. However if one takes way more iodine than needed, it can become "toxic" to the body. And eating food or drinking some magical drink won't take care of it.
    Water can be "toxic" to the body if consumed to fast in a short period of time where it throws off electrolyte balance.
    So when some say "chemicals", there are a lot of chemical reactions in our body that we need and I think holistic gurus might have went overboard with "toxins" so they could sell more programs or supplements.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png
  • mariamsmb1
    mariamsmb1 Posts: 19 Member
    ninerbuff wrote: »
    mariamsmb1 wrote: »
    I think where people may get confused is that we actually do have some chemicals in our bodies that if overdose BECOMES TOXIC. For example iodine. 150 micrograms for men is recommended. However if one takes way more iodine than needed, it can become "toxic" to the body. And eating food or drinking some magical drink won't take care of it.
    Water can be "toxic" to the body if consumed to fast in a short period of time where it throws off electrolyte balance.
    So when some say "chemicals", there are a lot of chemical reactions in our body that we need and I think holistic gurus might have went overboard with "toxins" so they could sell more programs or supplements.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

I agree.
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member

Me, too. Caffeine is the only appetite suppressant I've found that works for me.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member

Me, too. Caffeine is the only appetite suppressant I've found that works for me.

Nicotine worked for me, but the associated costs (both in financial and health terms) were way too high.
  • L1zardQueen
    L1zardQueen Posts: 8,754 Member

Nicotine worked for me, but the associated costs (both in financial and health terms) were way too high.

Those were the days. Ah the 80’s. Lol
  • ninerbuff

Those were the days. Ah the 80’s. Lol
    lol, yeah I used to smoke too. Though it was Ultralights and I rarely ever finished a whole cigarette and smoked maybe half a pack a day. Still, my biggest regret in life because of cost and it impaired my cardio and lung capacity.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

• lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 Posts: 7,885 Member
    Coffee or tea for me, but mainly because any snacky urge between meals tends to be a desire to take a break and consume something with a taste, and I found that just having some coffee was as satisfying as grabbing a snack.