Exercise - How many days a week do you exercise and what do you do?

Replies

• lrw327
    lrw327 Posts: 73 Member
    I usually work out 5 days a week... resting on Wed and Sun. I like to mix it up. I do strength training and cardio. For cardio, I mainly cycle on my indoor trainer.
  • Djproulx
    Djproulx Posts: 3,084 Member
    typically 6 days per week for me. Monday is a rest day. Right now its 2 swims, 3 bikes, 2 runs plus a couple strength/yoga sessions weekly. Keeps me out of trouble :)
  • spiriteagle99
    spiriteagle99 Posts: 3,675 Member
    I get some exercise every day. I need it for my mental health as much as for the physical. I usually walk with my husband and the dog every day. My 13 year old dog is having issues at the moment, so can't walk, but before that we were walking at least 2-3 miles every day. Without our nighttime walk, my husband and I are only doing 1.5 - 2 miles a day. I run 5 days a week, 35-40 mpw. On my non-running days, I get on the stationary bike or do an exercise video or do yoga or pilates or walk some more, either a hike or some brisk miles on the TM at incline.
  • mpkpbk2015
    mpkpbk2015 Posts: 766 Member
    M in Oz thanks for responding I like the fact you manage to get something done 7 days a week. I am striving to get to that point. Thanks again.
  • mpkpbk2015
    Irw327 thank you 5 days a week that's where I am right now. But I need more variety because its to the point where its boring so I dread doing it. Appreciate your input.
  • mpkpbk2015
    Djprouix love the variety that's what I'm looking for appreciate the input.Have a great week.
  • mpkpbk2015
    spiriteagle99 I like the variety I am getting some great ideas from my post. Thank you so much.
  • sgt1372
    sgt1372 Posts: 3,976 Member
    I have and can do many other things but currently I just row 10km/day in 4 sets of 2.5km (13-14 min @ for a total of 52-56 mins/day almost everyday on my Concept2 rower.

Seems be all of the exercise that I need these days at 70 to maintain my muscularity, strength and fitness despite having a complete Olympic wt lifting gym in my garage, a professional grade spin bike in the house and a lot of Crossfit gear in my backyard.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,489 Member
    I exercise everyday.
    I walk/run at least 90 minutes in the morning daily. Since I'm not working, I've been doing it twice now with an evening walk before dinner.

M-shoulders
    T- chest
    W- back
    T- biceps
    F- triceps
    S- quads
    S- hamstrings

Will also throw in kickboxing somewhere in there 2 times a week.

When I'm working, I instruct cardio kickboxing 2 times a week (1 hour class), but still keep the same workout schedule.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • southheadstef
    southheadstef Posts: 50 Member
    I am training to be an Aqua Aerobics instructor, so I try to get to Aqua classes at least 3 times a week. I also teach little children to swim, so I swim myself at least twice a week. I have just taken up Floatboard, sort of Pilates on a big board on the water...because I can get it on my pool payment plan, and because I was curious! Two or three times a week I do a sort of HIIT walking plan: 3 sessions of walking as fast as I can for 10 minutes, in a day.
    I am overweight, but quite fit. I am trying to reduce the calories because I have bad knees, and I know less pressure will be good for them!
  • nataliepate25
    nataliepate25 Posts: 12 Member
    edited February 2021
    I do exercise every day, because the more exercise you do the more benefit you will get. But on the weekend i do stretching exercises only.

From Monday to Friday I follow my workout plan.

• Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,817 Member
    mpkpbk2015 wrote: »
    M in Oz thanks for responding I like the fact you manage to get something done 7 days a week. I am striving to get to that point. Thanks again.

It helps to walk to do things instead of driving. I have to walk to and from the bus 5 days a week. It's not a lot, but it is a start. Then at lunch, I "run errands" - walk errands. Today, for example, I walked to my physio appointment.

After work I usually walk to relax. I spend too much time sitting and it's just nice to get out in the evening and take a walk to get the blood flowing.

My favourite exercise is cycling so that's what I look forward to doing on weekends. :)
  • ajlmfp22
    ajlmfp22 Posts: 54 Member
    Currently I'm just exercising 3 days a week immediately after work on a basic Push, Pull, Legs & Core split. I appreciate the efficiency and flexibility of my current routine. Even though the pandemic has put a big hamper on socializing for me, I'd still rather not be spending all my free time at the gym or exercising honestly. At the moment I'm exclusively focused on strength training because I actually look forward to my workouts rather than dread them, and that's what keeps me motivated.
  • SnifterPug
    SnifterPug Posts: 746 Member
    M - upper body strength 45 mins
    Tu - lower body strength & core 90 mins
    W - upper body strength 60 mins
    Th - lower body strength 45 mins
    F - upper body strength 60 mins
    Sa - lower body strength and core 90 mins
    Su - high intensity cardio (boxing based) if I am feeling energetic or low intensity cardio + stretching 60 mins
  • callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    typically 3-5 times a week. anywhere from 30 minutes (my self-mandated minimum) to an hour and a half.

i do cardio (elliptical, mostly but other things as well if I'm feeling up to it. and my 'pool gym' has different machines that are nice to use to break up the monotony of the ellptical) and swim. swimming is 2x a week, and I do at least some cardio on those days as well.

The key is to find what you like doing.... and do that. everyone does what works best for them, and their goals, and so should you :)
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member
    mpkpbk2015 wrote: »
    barefootbridg you are on it. I am retired and need to get more cardio in. I didn't realize cardio is frowned upon. I thought is was good to keep your heart healthy and metabolism up. And that weight training was good to keep your bones from becoming brittle . I am learning so much from this post. Thank you

I don't think cardio is frowned upon. Cardiovascular exercise in combination with resistance training provides for well rounded fitness and health benefits. The AHA and other health bodies recommend a minimum of 150 minutes of light cardiovascular/aerobic exercise or 75 minutes of moderate or more cardiovascular exercise and 2 days of full body resistance training just for general health.

My cardiovascular health and fitness has benefited greatly from having a mix of light, moderate, and vigorous cardiovascular exercise in my plan. One of the reasons I try to get out for a walk every day in addition to my more moderate and vigorous exercise is because I have a desk job, and without my walks I can easily be sitting on about 2,500 steps in a day by the time I close up shop and I don't think 4 days of cycling really fully compensates for being that sedentary day to day...If I get my walk in every morning, I usually have over 8,000 steps by 7 or 7:30 AM.
  • helen_goldthorpe
    helen_goldthorpe Posts: 340 Member
    Cycling 5 days a week usually. 2 rest days but I try to get out for a gentle walk if the weather's ok.
  • MikeRunsDaily
    MikeRunsDaily Posts: 20 Member
    Run 7 days a week. Lift 4-5 times a week 💪🏻😁
  • mpkpbk2015
    Mike and Helen thank you for your input what dedication. I am working toward as I reach the maintenance phase of my journey. I have been putting all my efforts into daily dairy and trying not to mess up there. I have let my exercise program slide. But you guys give me hope that I can do both.