How Often do you Weigh Yourself And What Kind of Scale do you use

Replies

• zombieblondie
    zombieblondie Posts: 11 Member
    I weigh on Tuesday and Friday mornings. Basic digital scale but it's pretty accurate when I compare it to the inbody scans I have done at the gym.
  • mwgibler
    mwgibler Posts: 154 Member
    I weigh everyday. I find it keeps me motivated. It’s a basic digital scale
  • robinaddison
    robinaddison Posts: 232 Member
    Daily and Withings
  • mpkpbk2015
    mpkpbk2015 Posts: 766 Member
    Zoombie how did you come up with Tuesday andFriday just wondering.
  • mpkpbk2015
    mwgibler so are there flucuations when you weigh everyday and how does that effect your motivation. I use to weigh everyday and it was drying me crazy so I stopped. Just wondering out loud.How youkeep your sanity
  • DancingMoosie
    DancingMoosie Posts: 8,613 Member
    I weigh daily on a WW conair digital scale. There are daily fluctuations. I just try to stay within a healthy range. Too far to either side means I make adjustments to dIet and/or exercise.
  • MsCzar
    MsCzar Posts: 1,039 Member
    edited February 2021
    Weighing in once a week would tempt me to slack a little for a day or two after weigh-in. I'd convince myself I could make up for overindulging in the remaining 5 days. Weighing in every 2-3 days doesn't let me do that. Plus, I avoid those annoying daily fluctuations and generally only see forward progress. That's pretty encouraging. :D
  • DavWillTry
    DavWillTry Posts: 76 Member
    I weigh every day on a "doctor's" type upright balance beam scale.

Not so much for the information, though I do track it here, but I need the consistency or I'll forget to weigh. I really like being retired and able to forget what day of the week it is. :D

So far I've known ahead of time if the weight is going to fluctuate. So when it does that doesn't bother me at all.
  • The_Stargazer
    The_Stargazer Posts: 6 Member
    I weigh in every day, immediately after waking up / using the bathroom and before showering / eating breakfast.

While individual day/day fluctuations are not important, I find it helps to work it into part of my daily routine.

I use a Garmin Index Smart Scale. My Garmin Connect App is linked to MyFitnessPal so when I step on the scale every morning my weight's automatically uploaded. No chance to cheat ;-)
  • mpkpbk2015
    Lots of good information and things to ponder thanks everyone for your guidance and advice.
  • DD265
    DD265 Posts: 651 Member
    Weigh daily with Garmin Index S2 Smart Scale. Connects directly to my Garmin app which feeds my weight into MFP. I'm interested in having the data, but I take account of the overall trend on a weekly basis.

Measure fortnightly.

Photos monthly.
  • Eddie__Jones
    Eddie__Jones Posts: 197 Member
    mpkpbk2015 wrote: »
    How often do you weigh yourself? What kind of scale do you use? Digital or just a plain bathroom scale. Do you do body measurements to guage your progress as well? Such as inches loss? BMI changes? Body fat changes?

Twice per day. First thing in the morning after using the restroom. Once in the evening before bed.

RENPHO Bluetooth Body Fat Scale Smart BMI Scale Digital Bathroom Wireless Weight Scale $30 syncs to app on my phone.

Take measurements once per week and enter them into MFP.

BMI & Bodyfat are tracked by the RenPho scale.

• mpkpbk2015
    Eddie thanks I use the Renpho too, bought mine back in July love it. I like to look at the trends section. When I reach my goal as a reward I am going to buy their tape measure so I can track my measurements during maintance. Have a awesome day.
  • MPyLP
    MPyLP Posts: 25 Member
    ninerbuff wrote: »
    Daily and a Tanita.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

How often should I weigh myself? The last time I weighed myself was about a week ago if I'm not mistaken.
  • How often do you weigh yourself? Daily, sometimes twice a day. I weigh myself every morning, after bathroom before eating or drinking anything.

What kind of scale do you use? Digital with body fat % and water %.

Do you do body measurements to guage your progress as well? Yes. Chest, upper arm, forearm, waist at narrowest, waist at navel, hips at widest, thigh.

Such as inches loss? Yes

BMI changes? - not really

Body fat changes? Yes. I use health status website calculator for body fat % https://www.healthstatus.com/calculate/body-fat-percentage-calculator/ . I calculate the first weekend of every month. I record the average of the four provided on the site and the one on my scale.
  • mpkpbk2015
    How often do you weigh yourself? Daily, sometimes twice a day. I weigh myself every morning, after bathroom before eating or drinking anything.

What kind of scale do you use? Digital with body fat % and water %.

Do you do body measurements to guage your progress as well? Yes. Chest, upper arm, forearm, waist at narrowest, waist at navel, hips at widest, thigh.

Such as inches loss? Yes

BMI changes? - not really

Body fat changes? Yes. I use health status website calculator for body fat % https://www.healthstatus.com/calculate/body-fat-percentage-calculator/ . I calculate the first weekend of every month. I record the average of the four provided on the site and the one on my scale.

Thank you so much for the link. I will have to go check it out. Have a safe and healthy and happy weekend.

• MinTheKitCat
    MinTheKitCat Posts: 173 Member
    You’ll find what works for you 😊
    There isn’t no universal right answer for this and your preference may change over time. I use to weigh in 1-2 per week because I had an eating disorder when I was a teen and even though it’s been nearly twenty years I was afraid weighing every day (and tracking calories) could trigger a relapse. I made a goal at the beginning of 2020 to work on my relationship with my body and food and have found to my surprise that tracking helps me not be so anxious about food and gets me excited about nutritious and delicious food and that weighing everyday or most days makes it more of a task and less of an ‘event’
    My only caution would be to separate your emotions and ‘morality’ as much as possible from weighing and tracking because while a ‘good or positive’ day or result can make you giddy for a few days, that same reactive ness can ruin a day or more when things don’t go as planned.
    You are doing this for you and your health, so celebrate that and all that you learn on the journey!!
  • mpkpbk2015
    You’ll find what works for you 😊
    There isn’t no universal right answer for this and your preference may change over time. I use to weigh in 1-2 per week because I had an eating disorder when I was a teen and even though it’s been nearly twenty years I was afraid weighing every day (and tracking calories) could trigger a relapse. I made a goal at the beginning of 2020 to work on my relationship with my body and food and have found to my surprise that tracking helps me not be so anxious about food and gets me excited about nutritious and delicious food and that weighing everyday or most days makes it more of a task and less of an ‘event’
    My only caution would be to separate your emotions and ‘morality’ as much as possible from weighing and tracking because while a ‘good or positive’ day or result can make you giddy for a few days, that same reactive ness can ruin a day or more when things don’t go as planned.
    You are doing this for you and your health, so celebrate that and all that you learn on the journey!!

Thank you so much for sharing your story with me. I haven't had a dx of an eating disorder, but for sure I have had an unhealthy relationship with food or I wouldn't have gotten up to 227 pounds. But your right this all started because my doctor told me I was prediabetic and he was going to have to put me on meds if I didn't lose weight. Then to add insult to injury my son didn't invite me to his swim banquet because he was ashamed of how I looked compared to the other moms. That hurt . So two years ago I decided no more and haven't looked back. I am doing this for me and I am inspired by you and what you went through as a teen and survivor of an eating disorder. Yes I have to do it for me and I will celebrate everyday one day at a time till I get there. Thank you again.
  • MPyLP
    MPyLP Posts: 25 Member
    So I'm a little confused: I weighed myself in just my pj's about a week ago and I weighed 154 and then I weighed myself yesterday in leggings and a thin sweater, I've been working out and it read 156.2. What is the best way to check my weight, in regular clothing or in light clothing aka pj's? What weight should I work with?