How to "disguise" protein powder haha

I'm falling short on my protein intake, I am VERY busy with work and dont get much time to prep meals.

I eat things straight from the fridge most of the time (ie... throw cooked mince on veg. 2 boiled eggs in veg.... boring but quick and effective)

I cant stomach protein shake powder, think over killed it over the years and it makes me gag.

Any quick and easy ways to add it to something to disguise the taste?

Replies

• lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 Posts: 7,885 Member
    You might want to try different flavors (or plain) and brands and see if you like them better. Often it's the sweetener that makes them taste bad, so if you switched to one with a different sweetener that could help.

I rarely use them now, but when I did I put a plain one in oatmeal (you'd use extra water when making the oats) and then add berries and some nuts or seeds. I also sometimes use them (again, usually a more neutral flavor, although I also sometimes like coconut) in a smoothie that has a bunch of different ingredients so the protein powder doesn't really affect the taste much.

If you are doing just protein powder and water, consider using almond milk or dairy milk instead (almond milk is low cal, milk or soy milk will add even more protein) and some sort of fruit, like frozen berries. You can also try as an alternative for a shake lowfat greek yogurt plus berries, as greek yogurt can be pretty high protein--I use it more regularly in smoothies than protein powder.
  • angmarie28
    angmarie28 Posts: 2,780 Member
    I have to drink the pre made shakes. Premiere protein shakes are my go too, I really like most of the flavors. All the powders I've tried (which is a lot) make me gag.
  • lorib642
    lorib642 Posts: 1,942 Member
    I don't mind the taste but sometimes i add some to my coffee if I am out of milk. You could try that. Right with you on trying to get adequate protein,
  • corinasue1143
    corinasue1143 Posts: 7,467 Member
    Different solution. Forget protein powder. Make up a big batch of egg white muffins on the weekend. Add your favorite lean meat and veggies for flavor. Or protein pancake mix with egg whites for the liquid, bake in cupcake pans. Put a few in the fridge, the rest in the freezer. Pop one in the microwave instead of a shake.
  • rosebarnalice
    rosebarnalice Posts: 3,488 Member
    Try silken tofu instead?
  • SunnyBunBun79
    SunnyBunBun79 Posts: 2,228 Member
    edited February 2021
    I have gone through SO MANY and i hated them all...recently I discovered the Cafe Latte flavor of Premier Protein ( I dont work for them , i swear 😅) I mix it into black coffee and reheat it and its GOOD!!! keeps me full with 30g of protein and then I find I just get hungry around lunch time.
  • jennacole12
    jennacole12 Posts: 1,167 Member
    Oh this is my specialty!!! Seriously I’ve actually won $ prizes from protein companies for cleverly hidden protein in recipes 🤣 I have a scoop at least of protein everyday but he can’t drank protein in over a year.... I just prefer to eat 🤷🏼‍♀️🤣

The easiest ways I use it is to add like 10g to 8 oz of Greek yogurt then put in the freezer for like 20, then top with fruit if you’d like. I love lemon protein powder and blueberries as a topping.

Or protein waffles, 1 scoop protein, 1 egg and 1/2 tsp baking powder, put in waffle iron or skillet for pancakes..... this doesn’t work for all protein so let me know if you need a recommendation!

Also, you can add to overnight oats or fresh oatmeal... my latest obsession is adding it to my cream of rice.
  • whathapnd
    whathapnd Posts: 1,231 Member
    I know you said no to making a shake, but I've found adding a couple teaspoons of healthy fat when I make a protein shake makes all the difference in the world. My go-to brand is Thorne Vega-Lite chocolate. I use oat milk and olive oil. Rich and creamy! Sometimes I add leftover coffee.
  • tiptoethruthetulips
    tiptoethruthetulips Posts: 3,360 Member
    I prefer vanilla flavoured protein shakes, I add skim milk, some natural yoghurt and frozen blueberries and blend.
  • Speakeasy76
    Speakeasy76 Posts: 961 Member
    You can also add unflavored collagen powder to coffee or other beverages, or things like yogurt or oatmeal.
  • Kevin_Rex
    Kevin_Rex Posts: 127 Member
    edited February 2021
    I use Orgain Vanilla w/ unsweetened almond milk and two scoops of PBfit and it's almost unfair how delicious it is. Like a peanut butter shake (if you, of course, enjoy peanut butter). I also use Orgain Chocolate w/ PBfit and that's excellent as well.

I don't work for Orgain or anything... I simply enjoy their shakes the best from all the vegan protein options. :) I have issues w/ whey so I avoid the shakes that are whey-based. Now I'm just rambling.
  • rpbevan
    rpbevan Posts: 1 Member
    Not sure if it's available where you are but a friend of mine that couldn't stomach the heavier protien shakes got on really well with boditronics iso-splash pineapple and grapefruit. It's more like a squash than a shake, he used to just sip it throughout the day.
  • NadNight
    NadNight Posts: 794 Member
    I use the MyProtein orange and mango clear whey powder which is more like squash than a milkshake (you make it with water). I HATE protein powders usually but this stuff is absolutely delicious
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,488 Member
    Add hot sauce to it. :D

You just have to find one that you like and that may take several attempts.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • emaSharmama
    emaSharmama Posts: 18 Member
    Every night I make a concoction of chocolate protein powder in heated water and 1%milk. Add a tblsp. fat free half n half and sugar free torani syrup (lots of flavors, my fav is english toffee). I usually mix in a rounded tsp instant decaf coffee.
    Gives me a hot chocolate fix!
  • rheddmobile
    rheddmobile Posts: 6,840 Member
    edited February 2021
    This takes a while to prep but is grab and go when done - I make ice cream sandwiches. First make protein powder pancakes, eggs, protein powder, baking soda. Then make frozen yogurt - Greek yogurt plus add ins of choice, I like berries, cacao powder, and almond butter (you can also add protein powder to the yogurt). Spread the yogurt on the pancake and roll it up, wrap in plastic wrap, freeze. When frozen slice the roll into slices. Sometimes I put dark chocolate chunks in to be fancy.