Is there a safe way to lose 30 lbs by May 26?

2»

Replies

• MPyLP
    MPyLP Posts: 25 Member
    I realized skipping breakfast was totally not good for me bc by lunchtime I'd be starving and eat wte I could just to not feel dizzy or what not so now I MAKE at least a coffee and something light and filling for breakfast. Most days I dont eat lunch
  • MPyLP
    And I realized I REALLY love wheat bread with all those seeds and whatnot in them. So that makes it easier for me to incorporate it and I never realized Salmon and quinoa versatility
  • Strudders67
    Strudders67 Posts: 978 Member
    edited February 2021
    [/quote] Thank you. So far my average is around 1400 calories per day and im getting close. Yesterday it let me know that if I keep it up at that rate I will weigh 145 in 5 wks. Is this pretty accurate? [/quote]

It's a guide. However, it's based on every day being identical to today and that's highly unlikely. You may eat a little more of one thing and a little less of something else, it may be hotter or colder outside, you may drink more water, you may walk an extra 50 paces each day or walk 20 paces less.

Two important things to focus on
    - through trial and error, learn what keeps you feeling fuller for longer vs what are empty calories. Many people say protein and fat are king, others swear by carbs.
    - aim to weigh less on your anniversary at the end of May than you do today.

As you learn what works, don't deprive yourself. If you really fancy a cookie that you've baked with your kids, have one if you can see a way to fit it in with your calories for that day / week, perhaps by putting on less potato or a smaller portion of pasta on your plate and adding more veg instead. It's far easier to lose weight if it's not an ordeal.
  • MPyLP
    Is it bad to skip lunch sometimes? Sometimes I'll eat a bowl of all bran and 1 egg with 21 grain toast and by lunch time im still full. By dinner time im just about ready to eat. But I dont want to jinx myself by missing a meal.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 31,724 Member
    MPyLP wrote: »
    Is it bad to skip lunch sometimes? Sometimes I'll eat a bowl of all bran and 1 egg with 21 grain toast and by lunch time im still full. By dinner time im just about ready to eat. But I dont want to jinx myself by missing a meal.

It's fine. Just don't undereat your calorie goal by lots, on any regular basis. It's very, very likely to come back to bit you. If you're lucky, eating too little, too often just results in an overeating episode. If not so lucky, persistent undereating (too-fast loss) can have health consequences. If there are consequences, the less severe ones are fatigue, weakness, counterproductively slowed weight loss through fatigue, and - often after a few weeks delay - hair loss or brittle nails.

Eating schedule changes are purely personal preference. Being a little low (or a little high) on calories now and then is no big deal. Persistently undereating *can* be a big deal.
  • MPyLP
    So when I began this journey I weighed 158.6 I just weighed myself and I weigh 154.0. I lost 4 lbs! I know I shouldn't get too excited but I am. Yay!
  • L1zardQueen
    L1zardQueen Posts: 8,754 Member
    Get excited! Woot woot
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    edited February 2021
    MPyLP wrote: »

Is it bad?
    This is how I'd think about it.

If I had a workout later and a skipped lunch caused me to not have enough energy for it - yes that was bad.
    If I had house chores later and a skipped lunch made me so tired after work I just watched TV all night - yes that was bad.
    If I skipped lunch and was so hungry for dinner I way over did it and ate many more calories than lunch would have provided and went over my goal by a big amount - yes that was bad.

If it allowed me to eat more at dinner or have special treat and no other ill effects that day or the following - no that wasn't bad.

If this happened constantly and I have the knowledge that I'm cutting say 300 calories extra from an already reasonable diet, and I know the body can adapt by slowing down daily burn I'll likely never notice - that is bad and I'd figure out an adjustment somewhere if weight loss initially increased than slowed down.
  • MPyLP
    So I've gotten the swing of this. I'll have a light snack for lunch sometimes and if not ill have a light but filling dinner. Started my zumba again and I feel great