Coronavirus prep

Replies

• 33gail33
    33gail33 Posts: 1,155 Member
    edited February 2021
    33gail33 wrote: »
    I sometimes wonder if I have already had covid. My husband and I were both sick for 10 days in early July with what for me was nasty headaches, total exhaustion and sinus congestion (he had a mild cough with it). We both tested negative at the time, but for me it went on for almost 6 months after with daily headaches, fatigue, brain fog, facial pain, random bizarre symptoms like waking up in the night with all my teeth aching, facial tics, vertigo. My whole summer was a write off - I didn't even start walking my dogs again until November. I was eventually "diagnosed" (remotely) with chronic rhino sinusitis and what one doctor called post-viral syndrome, and steroids helped. One doctor I saw suggested that the PCR testing had changed and a sample that tested negative in July could test positive now (I don't understand exactly how and didn't ask) and it's possible I did have it.
    At any rate I guess there is more than one virus out there that can knock you on your *kitten* for months - would be interesting for me to know which one it was.

If you are now healthy enough to donate blood, the American Red Cross is still testing for antibodies.

I'm in Canada - but I doubt that antibodies would show up at this late date anyway.

But you had it through Dec., right? Got it in July then lasted 6 months.... so if this is what you had, it was as recently as 2 months ago. Antibodies usually still show up 2 months later.

I’m not sure actually - when they say post viral syndrome I thought that the virus would be cleared after the acute illness, but the inflammation was already triggered, like the immune system going haywire. I’m not even sure where I would get antibody testing here, or if they would even consider that a priority since I am better now.

Like I mentioned earlier, if you can give blood, they will test it for antibodies.

I don't believe they are doing that here in Canada. The information I found is that that Canada Blood Services are running a study on selected blood samples taken to determine the overall antibody/exposure rate - but they are not notifying individuals who test positive for antibodies.

• T1DCarnivoreRunner
    T1DCarnivoreRunner Posts: 11,502 Member
    I sometimes wonder if I have already had covid. My husband and I were both sick for 10 days in early July with what for me was nasty headaches, total exhaustion and sinus congestion (he had a mild cough with it). We both tested negative at the time, but for me it went on for almost 6 months after with daily headaches, fatigue, brain fog, facial pain, random bizarre symptoms like waking up in the night with all my teeth aching, facial tics, vertigo. My whole summer was a write off - I didn't even start walking my dogs again until November. I was eventually "diagnosed" (remotely) with chronic rhino sinusitis and what one doctor called post-viral syndrome, and steroids helped. One doctor I saw suggested that the PCR testing had changed and a sample that tested negative in July could test positive now (I don't understand exactly how and didn't ask) and it's possible I did have it.
    At any rate I guess there is more than one virus out there that can knock you on your *kitten* for months - would be interesting for me to know which one it was.

If you are now healthy enough to donate blood, the American Red Cross is still testing for antibodies.

I'm in Canada - but I doubt that antibodies would show up at this late date anyway.

But you had it through Dec., right? Got it in July then lasted 6 months.... so if this is what you had, it was as recently as 2 months ago. Antibodies usually still show up 2 months later.

I’m not sure actually - when they say post viral syndrome I thought that the virus would be cleared after the acute illness, but the inflammation was already triggered, like the immune system going haywire. I’m not even sure where I would get antibody testing here, or if they would even consider that a priority since I am better now.

Like I mentioned earlier, if you can give blood, they will test it for antibodies.

I don't believe they are doing that here in Canada. The information I found is that that Canada Blood Services are running a study on selected blood samples taken to determine the overall antibody/exposure rate - but they are not notifying individuals who test positive for antibodies.

I'm surprised, but only know about the U.S. Everywhere in the U.S. that I know about is doing the antibody testing - both the Red Cross and other organizations that take blood in smaller local areas. They seem to really want those antibodies for obvious reasons.
  • 33gail33
    33gail33 Posts: 1,155 Member

I'm surprised, but only know about the U.S. Everywhere in the U.S. that I know about is doing the antibody testing - both the Red Cross and other organizations that take blood in smaller local areas. They seem to really want those antibodies for obvious reasons.

Nothing about Canada and our handling of the pandemic surprises me anymore. I am seriously thinking of moving elsewhere I am so disillusioned with our leadership right now. My husband already wants to retire in Costa Rica so that is looking like an option for us.
  • T1DCarnivoreRunner
    T1DCarnivoreRunner Posts: 11,502 Member
    Dr. Fauci says that by April, he think vaccines will be up to general population. I strongly doubt that. I'm in phase 1c in Tennessee. As of 8:05p yesterday (2/11), not a single county here has reached phase 1c. This is after 2 months of giving vaccinations.

TN is limiting vaccines with 2 simultaneous methods - the first is age based, starting with the oldest and continuing to the next oldest group over time. Currently, all counties are in 70+ range. The 2nd method is based on a combination of occupation, living status (i.e. living in nursing home or prison), and comorbidities. In order for the state to reach the final age group of 16+ AND finish phase 3 (the final phase of specific criterion - after that, everyone else qualifies) by April is extremely unlikely. The state of TN predicts they will reach phase 3 by Q3/Q4 2021 and has no dates for AFTER phase 3... basically meaning that Q4 2021 or beyond (2022) is when everyone else gets it. I am very glad to be in phase 1c, and I am expecting to get it by this summer (state says April, but my expectation is more reasonable, I believe).
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,023 Member
    Dr. Fauci says that by April, he think vaccines will be up to general population. I strongly doubt that. I'm in phase 1c in Tennessee. As of 8:05p yesterday (2/11), not a single county here has reached phase 1c. This is after 2 months of giving vaccinations.

TN is limiting vaccines with 2 simultaneous methods - the first is age based, starting with the oldest and continuing to the next oldest group over time. Currently, all counties are in 70+ range. The 2nd method is based on a combination of occupation, living status (i.e. living in nursing home or prison), and comorbidities. In order for the state to reach the final age group of 16+ AND finish phase 3 (the final phase of specific criterion - after that, everyone else qualifies) by April is extremely unlikely. The state of TN predicts they will reach phase 3 by Q3/Q4 2021 and has no dates for AFTER phase 3... basically meaning that Q4 2021 or beyond (2022) is when everyone else gets it. I am very glad to be in phase 1c, and I am expecting to get it by this summer (state says April, but my expectation is more reasonable, I believe).

Yeah, I think there will technically be doses available for almost everyone by then, but I doubt they'll all quickly be getting into arms by then. And it's going to be very different from one state to another. I'm still hoping I'll be vaccinated by the end of summer, and if it's before then it'll be a pleasant surprise.
  • spiriteagle99
    spiriteagle99 Posts: 3,668 Member
    I think that because smoking damages the lungs and Covid attacks the lungs and heart, smokers are at higher risk of serious illness and fatality. It's frustrating that my 81 year old diabetic husband has to wait in line with the 25 year old smoker, but it is easier for us to hole up than it might be for someone younger who needs to work. We can wait.

That’s terrible. Where are you that 81 year olds aren’t already vaccinated? In TN we are down to 70+ now.

I was looking at the latest info and at present diabetes is 1c in TN, along with 55+. I’m 52. So if I were just three years older, I would be eligible from my age at the same time as my diabetes, which seems nuts to me.

Also, what stops people from claiming to smoke? Or even starting to smoke, just to get the vaccine?

I live in Pennsylvania. 1a was nursing home residents and medical first responders, 1b was everyone over 65 or a smoker or with medical conditions or whose job brings them into contact with the public, IOW, 3/4 of the population.
  • GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,160 Member
    ahoy_m8 wrote: »

Ok, Gale. When I googled your article title to read it (which I did), I found THIS: https://www.psypost.org/2020/12/dark-personality-traits-predict-womens-propensity-to-go-on-deceptive-foodie-calls-for-a-free-meal-58741

Who knew?

(Apologizes for tangent)

What happens when you click on the link on MFP post?9
  • MikePfirrman
    MikePfirrman Posts: 3,307 Member
    edited February 2021
    They now believe they know why there's mental confusion after Covid-19. Residual/elevated cytokines in the spinal fluid. In other words, inflammation markers in areas where they aren't normally found, in the Central nervous system.

https://www.cell.com/cancer-cell/fulltext/S1535-6108(21)00051-9

I'm not a scientist, but what they are saying, to me, is that it is concerning because it can cause damage to the nerves, potentially breach the blood/brain barrier and also be what is causing mental issues in those that have had Covid-19. They are also hopeful, at the same time, that understanding it better can help them quell the inflammation in the CNS and improve the outcome for long haulers.

I wonder if this is specific to Covid or if it might apply to other viruses that trigger post viral inflammation?

I don't pretend to understand a lot of what was said in the article, but my headaches and brain fog didn't resolve until I had a round of steroids. Which I guess would be in line with the anti-inflammatory treatment they recommend here.

Again, I'm not a scientist, but I do know MS has been theorized, though no direct proof has been found, to be triggered by a virus. With MS, there is are also elevated cytokines in the CNS. Am I saying that Covid-19 could cause MS down the road? Certainly not, but there's cause for concerns. But understanding it better is where it all starts.

I believe I read somewhere that chemo can cause brain fog for some of the same reasons.

The holistic supplement guy in me also thinks taking a full spectrum Methyl-B (or at least B-12) might not be a bad idea for anyone. Vitamin B12 is what helps keep the myelin sheath around the nerves strong.
  • Dnarules
    Dnarules Posts: 2,081 Member
    edited February 2021
    mockchoc wrote: »
    Still no Covid here. Hope that doesn't upset the couple of people rude to me last time.

NM.
  • ahoy_m8
    ahoy_m8 Posts: 3,048 Member
    ahoy_m8 wrote: »

Ok, Gale. When I googled your article title to read it (which I did), I found THIS: https://www.psypost.org/2020/12/dark-personality-traits-predict-womens-propensity-to-go-on-deceptive-foodie-calls-for-a-free-meal-58741

Who knew?

(Apologizes for tangent)

What happens when you click on the link on MFP post?9

Ha! It's just a habit like washing hands frequently. ;)