Type 2 Diabetes - Support - Tips and Tricks - Your Thoughts ?

ben_100
ben_100 Posts: 70 Member
edited February 2021 in Motivation and Support
Hello
Recently was diagnosed with Type 2 Diabetes...How about you ? Looking to find New friends on MFP so as to form a team, a long running support team, to beat our Type 2 - Naturally

by way of introduction - hello and here's my story.. what is yours ?

Dec 2020 - Merry Christmas the present no one wants..
Well now it is a real race with the clock - had a stressful period where I also started to eat real trashy sweet things and started cooking and eating - reached a new weight high and without exercise I started turning mushy... then I started to pee a lot and urine strips were showing glucose and protein - got some blood tests and I was off the charts for Blood glucose - Dr immediately diagnosed Type 2 and prescribed meds - I am now on the clock to get the blood glucose down before my next blood panel ( need A1C down) - So I picked up the meds but not taking them - I worry about being reliant on meds, and also damage that the meds may have on my liver and kidneys - so will get one shot at lifestyle changes (Food / Fasting / Breating (Meditation)/Exercise) before the next scheduled blood panel (3 months apart) - and where my Dr, will get the results
- I changed my diet 100%, and I started to use the home gym I had been establishing - slowly at first as I was a bit concerned as to a heart attack - as I also have some higher blood pressure readings ( hypertension ) - I now have a glucose meter and am testing a lot - the first 2 weeks were not showing good results then things have changed and have been going well since - this crazy plan may just work - well we all have one life to lead and the Dr's are so busy they can not really rely on you to do what you say you will do - however as Type 2 can rob you of years it is life or death - so that is a real incentive - my new extreme sport.. thanks for reading,,

Replies

• ben_100
    edited February 2021
    Here is a bit of trick - I have a coffee maker that can be temperamental - and will not prime right away - and you have to run through the prime process - some times this can take 5 min - so in that time I started to run in place and measure my heart rate - now I do this every morning, and I go for 10 min even if that coffee machine primes faster then that - the running in place gets me some activity credits towards the 150 min/week, using a Garmin device - that then syncs with MFP it is amazing how this adds up - frankly I doubt I would be able to obtain the 150 / wk without this trick - now I have made it 3 weeks in a row.. B)

.. so perhaps you have some task where you can squeeze in some cardio ?
  • emaSharmama
    emaSharmama Posts: 18 Member
    That medicine you are hanging onto cannot help you unless you take it as prescribed.
    I was diagnosed type 2 in my mid 30s, 25 years ago. Most of this time I have tried to get around healthy eating by not doing it. Instead I relied on the medicine to keep me from experiencing the negative consequences I saw happen in my family...an uncle went blind, an aunt had strokes and ended up in a wheelchair, a cousin ended up having both his legs amputated. All 3 of them are dead today. I've seen those things but didn't feel convinced that it could happen to me.
    Before getting serious with MFP a little under 2 months ago, I was at the max for medications... 1000mg Metformin 2x/day, 10mg Glipizide, 80 units of Lantus (insulin).
    Logging my food everyday, everything I put in my mouth, since January 4th. Awareness kicked in right away as I tried to get my goal numbers perfect.
    The results? My A1c went from over 8 to the low 6s. Low blood sugar numbers caused the doctor to lower insulin from 80 to 70 to 60. I went in to see him yesterday and he lowered the insulin to 50 and eliminated the Glipizide entirely!
    The medicine helped, especially when I wasn't managing the disease. Now that I am managing, I'm happy to see it go! My goal is more than just losing weight but to eventually manage my disease with diet and activity alone.
    I'm glad you are checking your blood sugar numbers regularly. That's something else I used to not do. Just keep at it and you will see your own successes.
    God bless!
  • ben_100
    Thanks for sharing..and gr8 to hear that the meds are going..I am getting some good BG numbers and the weight is falling off ☺️
  • tumbleweed7834
    tumbleweed7834 Posts: 42 Member
    I have type two as well, for several years now, took the meds, exercised looked up diets, really didn’t follow them. Doctor told me I wasn’t bad off enough to consult with a dietician, now I am.
  • tumbleweed7834
    tumbleweed7834 Posts: 42 Member
    I just noticed you haven’t posted since February, did this group fizzle?
  • ben_100
    I just noticed you haven’t posted since February, did this group fizzle?

Hi.. was informed that I might be better suited posting in the LCHF community..which as it appears has a large section on diabetes and with diabetics...
  • ben_100
    Had my first 3 month blood panel and A1C was down from initial 11 to 6.1.
    Dr. was pleased, and wanted to stay the course with metformin.. I told him I never took the pills.. he was ok with that based on the results he was seeing.. he also seemed to change his tune on it being a progressive disease..so good news.
  • Megan_smartiepants1970
    Megan_smartiepants1970 Posts: 38,511 Member
    I was diagnosed with T2 back in 2019 when I was hospitalized for 9 days with flu/pneumonia ....I was on insulin...metformin etc... fast forward to now ....I am off all diabetes meds ... my A1c is now 6 ....my blood sugar numbers are in the low 100's (was 200-300 in the hospital)...I am now considered pre-diabetic ... I am a keto'er which I think has helped me tremendously :)
  • Kupla71
    Kupla71 Posts: 1,080 Member
    I was recently diagnosed with pre diabetes. Was really disappointed because I have a quite a healthy diet and I exercise. However I’m about 40 pounds overweight and my medication predisposes me to diabetes so I guess I should have seen this coming.
    My dietician has recommended a low carb diet which I’ve been following for 3 days so far. It’s a bit of an adjustment. Right now It’s late Thursday night and I’m hungry but don’t know what to eat. I have calories to spare but don’t feel like protein or veggies. What I really want is a piece of toast!
  • ben_100
    Kupla71 wrote: »
    I was recently diagnosed with pre diabetes. Was really disappointed because I have a quite a healthy diet and I exercise. However I’m about 40 pounds overweight and my medication predisposes me to diabetes so I guess I should have seen this coming.
    My dietician has recommended a low carb diet which I’ve been following for 3 days so far. It’s a bit of an adjustment. Right now It’s late Thursday night and I’m hungry but don’t know what to eat. I have calories to spare but don’t feel like protein or veggies. What I really want is a piece of toast!

Bumper on the diagnosis.. gotta get that liver and pancreas fat down a bit and voila.. you will drop outta T2D levels.. can suggest you try a walk a night after dinner which gets you away from temptation and helps to burn the dinner glucose before it stores away as fat in those critical organs...for craving at night Dr.Fung suggests a little ACV ..it will also help clean the liver and lower morning BG levels.. works for me..good luck
  • renewal_2021
    renewal_2021 Posts: 17 Member
    Hi all. I was diagnosed with T2D in Dec 2019. I was very resistant to medication because of a recall that I heard about for metformin. I was able to start controlling through IF, OMAD, and carb reduction. When the pandemic hit, we went into lockdown and I have struggled since. IN Mar 2020, I reached 132 lbs and now I weigh 142. My GW is 122. It kills me that it is not that much compared to others, but I can feel the health effects on me with this current weight. I am particularly concerned about my belly fat, as I know it is a predictor of health issues.
    I appreciate what is being said about getting the fatty liver under control. Wish me luck.
  • ben_100
    Luck to you...
    Sounds like you have a proven method of control..
    Some times waiting and restarting on a Monday can give you the time to psych up and kick start a new plan.. Giddy Up! you won't need luck 😉
  • Kupla71
    Good luck renewal! I have belly fat too so that surely doesn’t help. I hope you can get back on track. It could be that you have a genetic predisposition to diabetes too.
    I’m over the first few days of low carbs and I feel much better. I’m actually having trouble eating enough calories! Never thought I’d have that problem. I don’t have much of an appetite anymore. My main goal is to eat low carbs and lose weight. So far so good!
  • Kupla71
    Ben_109. Thanks for your advice. An evening walk sounds like something I could add on.
  • ben_100
    Back again..