The Sober Squad- Alcohol Free Living

Replies

• SunnyDays930
    SunnyDays930 Posts: 1,479 Member
    Love the new photo, RubyRed!
  • RubyRed427
    RubyRed427 Posts: 4,155 Member
    Hi @RubyRed427

I wonder, would you recommend the sparkle project, Rebecca Wellers Wellness Academy course. I'm sure you said that you were either thinking of doing it, or had signed up.

Maybe part of me is scared to have Rebecca Weller completely out my life hahaha I'm trying to delve into another of her courses as a *reminder* of the sexy sobriety course lol

Nah, I think the sparkle project looks very interesting for the food and recipe side of things. But, I will keep looking as there was other courses that caught my eye too.

I'm embarrassed- I totally forgot about the Sparkle Club!!! I have to find that info again and the ebook and get busy. I have a terrible habit of signing up for something , paying upfront and then moving on to something else.

Thanks for the reminder! I accepted your friend request.
    I'm happy you are nearing 4 months; it's not easy but it is worth the effort.
    I am learning from our friends on here that it is difficult to get back on the sober wagon once you fall off. And then you get cravings (my cravings are basically gone).

• RubyRed427
    I look forward to seeing your tattoo!! I may do that in the future, too.
  • RubyRed427
    JenT304 wrote: »
    Hello Friends. I hope all is well. Even if I wanted to drink, it's colonoscopy prep day so that's out! Actually, I haven't had a craving in a while. The more I know, the more I want to stay sober. I was out with my husband for lunch yesterday, me with my seltzer and he had 2 beers. I was so happy to be able to drive us safely. He seemed surprisingly buzzed to me. Then I thought, maybe 2 beers ALWAYS made him buzzed and I was always so equally buzzed that I never noticed. I am enjoying being so aware of everything.
    Speaking of Bex Weller, on her instagram there is a saying, "Because I was sober today I______________" then you fill in the blank. Here is mine: Because I was sober today I was able to have a very serious talk with my niece about her gravely ill father". This is my husband's brother. I KNOW drinking will never make that situation better.
    Alright, back to my disgusting prep drink. Wish me luck tomorrow!

Good luck Jen! You will sleep so well tomorrow night but maybe not tonight.
  • SunnyDays930
    Welcome @ryfit626! You will find support here.
  • RubyRed427
    ryfit626 wrote: »
    Hi everyone. Its day 1 of no drinking for me. Its about time I came to terms with the fact that alcohol, besides providing some temporary escape from life, hasn't really had any positive affect on my life. I still have a lot that scares me about this (dealing with my feelings, insomnia, etc.) but I think its time I let this thing go and start something new. Anyways, thanks for the group.

Welcome! In the beginning , I was bare knuckling it! Just hanging in there through cravings and habits. Cooking was hard to do because I drank wine during cooking. After work was hard to deal with , because I stopped for happy hours. BUT it is doable. And that's why people say just take one day at a time. Don't worry about tomorrow. Just stay sober today.

You may experience sugar cravings because you're used to the dopamine kick from alcohol, so maybe hard candy nearby could help.
    For some of us, alcohol use has become troublesome and not worth the consequences.
    Check out this thread's earlier book recommendations and youtube videos. You'll learn a lot and it is motivating to know you are not alone!
  • SunnyDays930
    I second RubyRed about the sugar cravings. I keep lollipops on hand for that.
  • RubyRed427
    JenT304 wrote: »
    From an article I read about Chrissy Hynde, of the Pretenders. I love this.

At 60 she gave up smoking, drinking and taking drugs. "Alcohol is the real demonic one," she says. "It's so insidious because it's everywhere and it's the gateway to more debauched drugs." She got sober in pretty much the same way she gave up smoking - by reading Alan Carr's Easy Way to Stop Smoking and then "you bite the bullet for a week". She had contemplated giving up for years. "You wake up and you're disgusted, and you throw it all away, and you say never again, and then you repeat it. And then there's the self-loathing. Now I'm not recovering, I'm fully recovered. I never think about it." Instead, she has cultivated other preoccupations - she paints most days and does yoga each morning, wherever she is, pushing back the furniture in hotels and dressing rooms to run through her routine. "I stand on my head," she says, "and I'm good to go."

Now I'm not recovering, I'm fully recovered.

That is awesome to read about Chrissy. It is never too late. She probably extended her life many years by quitting all of the carcinogens.

Did you read about the football player who died? Besides harmful concussions from the NFL, he was heavily impacted by alcohol addiction, his family says. Quite sad.
  • SunnyDays930
    @RubyRed427 I did not read that yet but I will. It is tragic.
  • donimfp
    donimfp Posts: 795 Member
    Hi, all. Send some good thoughts our way (Texas). It has been a hell of a week. I'm returning home today after 4 nights with a relative. Still sober. That's the good news.
  • ryfit626
    ryfit626 Posts: 21 Member

Welcome to our group! Good to have you on board. It can feel scary at first, but it only gets easier the longer you stay the course.

I now PREFER a sober life. 4 months ago ? I never thought I would be saying that. I had lots of raw emotion to deal with. It was hard. But I found that being sober, gave me a space to unpack and process baggage and ultimately begin the healing process that I so needed. All I had been doing up until that point ? Was drowning my emotions with wine. They were still there. So through sobriery and healing, I no longer need / want to drink.

Good luck on your journey! 🧡
    RubyRed427 wrote: »

Welcome! In the beginning , I was bare knuckling it! Just hanging in there through cravings and habits. Cooking was hard to do because I drank wine during cooking. After work was hard to deal with , because I stopped for happy hours. BUT it is doable. And that's why people say just take one day at a time. Don't worry about tomorrow. Just stay sober today.

You may experience sugar cravings because you're used to the dopamine kick from alcohol, so maybe hard candy nearby could help.
    For some of us, alcohol use has become troublesome and not worth the consequences.
    Check out this thread's earlier book recommendations and youtube videos. You'll learn a lot and it is motivating to know you are not alone!

I just wanted to say thanks for the warm welcome!